PDA

View Full Version : CBC lands 5-year deal with ISU to broadcast skating in Canada

Pages : [1] 2

Sylvia
06-08-2011, 05:53 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2011/06/08/sp-isu-cbc-deal.html

algonquin
06-08-2011, 06:11 PM
CBC has also entered into a strategic partnership with VisionTV, which is available in 10 million Canadian homes, giving viewers even more access to CBC's award-winning figure skating coverage.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2011/06/08/sp-isu-cbc-deal.html#ixzz1Oho2yX6tI happy about this deal.

overedge
06-08-2011, 06:27 PM
I was a little concerned about how widely VisionTV is available, but from its website it looks like people in most provinces/territories can find it on at least one cable system.

I was also a little concerned that it seems to be a faith-based channel - not sure how figure skating fits into that strategic direction - but since it has ads on its website advertising that it's currently showing Absolutely Fabulous and The Benny Hill Show, I think it interprets that strategic direction quite loosely :lol:

skatesindreams
06-08-2011, 06:36 PM
I was also a little concerned that it seems to be a faith-based channel - not sure how figure skating fits into that strategic direction - but since it has ads on its website advertising that it's currently showing Absolutely Fabulous and The Benny Hill Show, I think it interprets that strategic direction quite loosely :lol:

They could regard speed/figure skating as "wholesome family programming".

Parsley Sage
06-08-2011, 06:46 PM
I think vision is part of my standard cable package.

VALuvsMKwan
06-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I was a little concerned about how widely VisionTV is available, but from its website it looks like people in most provinces/territories can find it on at least one cable system.

I have faith in Eddy and Patsy - don't you? :confused:

ETA - since I am a "South of the Canadian Border" poster by many, many miles - I don't keep up with which personalities/skaters appear on which networks. Does this mean the return of Rod Black and his Elvis bromance?

WildRose
06-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Excellent! :biggrinbo

Dave of the North
06-08-2011, 08:12 PM
ETA - since I am a "South of the Canadian Border" poster by many, many miles - I don't keep up with which personalities/skaters appear on which networks. Does this mean the return of Rod Black and his Elvis bromance?

No, that's CTV. This is Brenda Irving:scream:, Kurt Browning, Scott Russell:scream:, sometimes Tracy Wilson, and PJ Kwong.

alilou
06-08-2011, 08:30 PM
No, that's CTV. This is Brenda Irving:scream:, Kurt Browning, Scott Russell:scream:, sometimes Tracy Wilson, and PJ Kwong.
ITA with your above analisys except I would say

Brenda Irving :scream:, Kurt Browning :wall: and :yikes:, Scott Russell :scream:, sometimes Tracy Wilson :cheer2:, and PJ Kwong :cheer2:

Bailey_
06-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah!!

Rafter
06-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Great news! It will be interesting to see what network Tracy Wilson commentates for.

blue_idealist
06-09-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm happy about this b/c I had gotten used to/liked cbc's coverage, especially the online streaming. I was worried about what was going to change b/c of some of the events being shown on ctv, so I'm glad some of it will still be what we're used to.

manhn
06-09-2011, 03:41 AM
So, CTV will air Canadians and Skate Canada (I will believe they will air those events in their entirety when I see it), while CBC will air the rest of the events (complete coverage of GPF and Worlds--YES!). I guess I can live with that. With CBC not having to spend money on SC and Canadians, maybe they'll be more consistent in showing us 4CC and the other GP events in their entirety.

MR-FAN
06-09-2011, 04:57 AM
So, CTV will air Canadians and Skate Canada (I will believe they will air those events in their entirety when I see it), while CBC will air the rest of the events (complete coverage of GPF and Worlds--YES!). I guess I can live with that. With CBC not having to spend money on SC and Canadians, maybe they'll be more consistent in showing us 4CC and the other GP events in their entirety.

I'm so happy! What have I done to be born in this time and age :swoon:
May my spoiled existence never cease to end :o

geoskate
06-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Excellent news.

And thanks, Sylvia, for posting the link.