PDA

View Full Version : "Sissy boy" therapy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Gazpacho
06-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Tears are streaming down my face after reading this (http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/07/sissy.boy.experiment/index.html).

Tears of sorrow for Kirk and his grieving siblings, of course, but mostly tears of anger. Anger at the hateful hypocrite George Reker and those who supported him and the many who still support his belief. Anger at his abusive parents who now blame it all on the therapy. And perhaps above all, anger that some people are so incapable of feeling guilt or culpability that they'll never get a taste of the mental anguish they've put others through.

Sadly, there are Kirk Murphy's created every day. A gay classmate whose parents tried to "correct" him also committed suicide.

A recent FSU thread revealed disdain for parents who are trying to raise a "genderless" child, but whatever potential damage they do surely can't match what Kirk Murphy experienced.

barbk
06-08-2011, 03:41 AM
That makes me ill.

BigB08822
06-08-2011, 04:07 AM
So sad. Thank you for that article, though. I am in a Sexuality course this summer and we have to find an article to write a short paper on. This will be what I use.

Rex
06-08-2011, 04:07 AM
:mad: "Dr." Reker needs to be punched in his f****g mouth. What an awful thing to do to someone.

MR-FAN
06-08-2011, 05:30 AM
:(

overedge
06-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Bad enough that Reker was promoting this twisted "therapy", but even worse that he was a hypocrite on top of this. I didn't realize until I read to the end of the story that he was the anti-gay crusader who claimed that his rentboy was only hired to carry his vacation luggage.

It also sickens me that no one at the university or the funding agency apparently thought anything was wrong with Reker's "study", or had any concerns about the damage it might cause.

skateboy
06-08-2011, 06:29 AM
:mad: "Dr." Reker needs to be punched in his f****g mouth. What an awful thing to do to someone.

Agreed. As does Kirk's mother who considers herself blameless in this whole incident. Really, really disturbing.

IceAlisa
06-08-2011, 06:45 AM
OK, I don't think I want to open that link.

Ozzisk8tr
06-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Dreadful. How very sad that things like this can happen. Makes me wonder how these people can sleep at night. I think the parents deserve every bit of unhappiness they get. I do however feel very sorry for the siblings.

PeterG
06-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Boys being feminine = female is bad.

Our world needs to get over it's hatred of females.

A recent FSU thread revealed disdain for parents who are trying to raise a "genderless" child, but whatever potential damage they do surely can't match what Kirk Murphy experienced.

What makes you think they are damaging their children? :confused: They are doing the opposite of George A. Rekers (I refuse to call him "Dr." Rekers). These parents are loving their children for who they are, regardless of gender. Complete acceptance.

I see very little of that kind of acceptance in the Murphy family... :(

Japanfan
06-08-2011, 10:46 AM

Trying to raise a "genderless" child simply means that you don't impose beliefs, values and myths about gender on your child. It's not damaging, it's liberating, because it gives children the freedom to be who they really are and a better chance to become well-rounded people. Girls can play with trucks if they like and boys can play with dolls. You can play ball with your daughters and your sons, and make cookies with your daughters and your sons. Good skills are learned in the process for both.

Society genders children enough of its own and does a fair bit of damage in the process. Parents can helps their kids to deal with that or make it even harder.

I'm also bothered by the notion that a boy who likes to play with dolls is going to grow up gay. And by the idea that effeminate = gay. There are plenty of heterosexual men with qualities deemed effeminate and plenty of gay men with qualities deemed macho. Those labels in themselves are damaging.

antmanb
06-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I cannot express how angry that article makes me. Disgusted with the mother who is trying to shift the blame. If she feels that sicko "Dr" had any hand in her son's suicide, she should acknowledge equal or more blame.

Gazpacho
06-08-2011, 12:31 PM
What makes you think they are damaging their children? :confused: They are doing the opposite of George A. Rekers (I refuse to call him "Dr." Rekers). These parents are loving their children for who they are, regardless of gender. Complete acceptance.

I see very little of that kind of acceptance in the Murphy family... :(My comment about them damaging their children reflected not my personal opinion but rather some of the comments on the other FSU thread.

The mother's comments in the Murphy case pissed me off like you wouldn't believe.
"Today it would be considered abuse." (talking about the beatings--she calls them spankings :mad:--that left him with welts all over his body) Ma'am, back then it was considered abuse too.
"I blame them for the way his life turned out," she said. "If one person causes another person's death, I don't care if it's 20 or 50 years later, it's the same as murder in my eyes."I blame YOU just as much. They had him for 10 months. You carried out your abuse and hatred for decades. You call George Reker a murderer, wanna see another murderer? Look in the mirror.

Perhaps that's what angers me the most--the fact that these people are incapable of guilt and culpability. :mad:

Rex
06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Boys being feminine = female is bad.

Our world needs to get over it's hatred of females.
And look how "cute" and "sexy" some men (and some women) think it is to wear men's clothes. And how many women in the business world and in politics are told pretty much to "take it like a man". If the situation were reversed, the guy is targeted for ridicule, unless he is doing it for fun or entertainment.

beepbeep
06-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Wow, I just... can't :(
Words fail me on how horrible this is...