PDA

View Full Version : NBC wins Olys...again

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Visaliakid
06-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Media Outlet has been selected. IOC to announce an agreement for the Olympic broadcast rights in the USA at 11 a.m. PT/ 2 p.m. ET

BREAKING: AP says that NBC/Comcast has won the Olympic Games for 2014, 2016, 2018 & 2020

ESPN Sports Center and U.S. Figure Skating both tweet same news.

Visaliakid
06-07-2011, 06:03 PM
NBC Wins Olympic TV Rights through 2020. NBC wins Olympic TV rights through 2020Broadcaster lands rights in deal for four games

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43311618/ns/sports-olympic_sports/ (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43311618/ns/sports-olympic_sports/)

PRlady
06-07-2011, 06:10 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/sports/nbc-wins-tv-rights-to-next-four-olympics.html?_r=1

Sigh. Perhaps NBC will recruit some better skating commentators for the next two winter games. One can hope, anyway.

Cheylana
06-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Eys, let's give Tara a shot! :cheer2:

DarrellH
06-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Maybe the commentators should have coaches, like the skaters? Can you see Dick button as a commentator coach?

"Mention the free leg! Mention the free leg!!!"

Frau Muller
06-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Meh. The Goon Platoon and its Advertisements Jamboree continue through 2020. I guess I'll have to continue to vacation in Canada during Olympics for the next 9 years to get halfway-decent TV coverage that has more sports than ads.

VALuvsMKwan
06-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Meh. The Goon Platoon and its Advertisements Jamboree continue through 2020. I guess I'll have to continue to vacation in Canada during Olympics for the next 9 years to get halfway-decent TV coverage that has more sports than ads.

Only during 5 of them, really... ;)

Frau Muller
06-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Only during 5 of them, really... ;)
Yeah, that's all. Well, Megabus takes me cheaply to Toronto, where I can schlep at a friend's house and happily record gymnastics or figure skating as it happens...not having to wait for it to be spoon-fed by Bob Costas at late-night, in between cuts to other sports and many ads, hours after the event takes place...with the focus only on US gymnasts or skaters. :P

Sparks
06-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Eys, let's give Tara a shot! :cheer2:

Tara talks too much, imo.

Garden Kitty
06-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm surprised given how much they lost on the Vancouver games, but I really like how they've expanded online coverage and coverage on multiple cable channels.

Given the cost of the Olympics, any provider was going to have many more commercials than I'd like to see, so I don't think NBC is really worse in terms of commercials than other channels. Fox was promising to have all live coverage (as well as packaged replays for the evenings), but since I'm at work during the day and couldn't watch most of the coverage, it probably wouldn't have made much difference. And I hope this means more Olympic Ice!

Aaron W
06-07-2011, 07:14 PM
On a side note, we're now just under a month away from the announcement of the site for the 2018 Winter Olympics. The vote is scheduled to take place in Durban, South Africa, on Wednesday, July 6th.

GamesBids.com still indicates PyeongChang, South Korea as the front runner, scoring 66.29 in their "BidIndex". Munich, Germany is a close second at 64.99, while Annecy, France is a somewhat distant third at 53.85.

Visaliakid
06-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Just Tweeted by Philip Hersh: NBC says it will make every event available live on one platform or another.

Confirmed: "We will make every event, on one platform or another, live." - Mark Lazarus, NBC, on #NBCUniversal coverage of Oly Games

skatesindreams
06-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Just Tweeted by Philip Hersh: NBC says it will make every event available live on one platform or another

If that's true - wonderful!
I'm one of those who doesn't mind setting the alarm, if needed, to watch,

A.H.Black
06-07-2011, 07:28 PM
On a side note, we're now just under a month away from the announcement of the site for the 2018 Winter Olympics. The vote is scheduled to take place in Durban, South Africa, on Wednesday, July 6th.

GamesBids.com still indicates PyeongChang, South Korea as the front runner, scoring 66.29 in their "BidIndex". Munich, Germany is a close second at 64.99, while Annecy, France is a somewhat distant third at 53.85.

South Korea is fine with me for 2018. I think it's time for them to come back to North America. Maybe 2022.

The news about NBC is interesting. With Dick Ebersol NBC leaving a month ago, there was a lot of speculation that FOX or ESPN might spend the money to get the Olympics. Also, given that NBC lost money (about 25%) on the Vancouver Games, some articles speculated that Comcast (NBC's owner) would be more conservative than GE (NBC's former owner). I wonder if the winning bid includes some sort of provision for future losses of revenue.

caseyedwards
06-07-2011, 07:30 PM
NBC's coverage of everything is so bad. They create stories and then run them into the ground with overplay. It's happened over and over. They should have live internet coverage with no commentary.