PDA

View Full Version : NBC wins Olys...again

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

victoriaheidi
06-08-2011, 02:58 AM
ETA: I would not be shocked if they chose to charge for live Olympic coverage (i.e. a subscription for a flat fee, like they had for Worlds coverage on Universal Sports). In fact, I practically EXPECT them to do so.

Argh. That would suck. That's the main reason that I never get to see competitions.

Honestly, though, it would probably shoot ratings in the foot. But you're right, everything's an extra charge these days. Isn't there any consolation for broke college students? ;)

riveredge
06-08-2011, 02:58 AM
i'm really hoping munich prevails. excuse for the term but frack (can't type the actual word here) new frontiers argument if that's all they have going for them. i'm really hoping sporting traditions prevail rather than something else.

i have no problem if Munich wins the bid. After all they have the experience. BUT if Pyeongchang gets the bid then it will be great too. IOC needs to expand the games from other countries. Give them a chance.

NBC's coverage of Winter olympics coverage was terrible. :lol:

misskarne
06-08-2011, 03:15 AM
Just Tweeted by Philip Hersh: NBC says it will make every event available live on one platform or another.

Confirmed: "We will make every event, on one platform or another, live." - Mark Lazarus, NBC, on #NBCUniversal coverage of Oly Games

That's pretty impressive I've gotta say. It'll take a tremendous effort to co-ordinate that. Well done.

All I ask is that I get to hear the music!

YES PLEASE! Something I like about the non-English speaking European commentators (especially the Russians/Italians I think) - I've discovered this on YT videos - is that they talk a bit before the skater starts, and are then mostly silent during the program. More of that!

Just no more Hamilton PLEASE! He would not shut up in Vancouver, and clearly played favorites. I agree with posters above in that they should hire Tara.

Bezic was just as bad. Hamilton at least came close to saying something nice about Plushenko once or twice. Bezic made it extremely clear that Lysacek could have fallen on his backside eight times and she would still think he deserved it more than Plushenko. Plushenko could have done quints for all she cared! It was really horrible stuff, actually, and completely unprofessional, regardless of which side of the fence you sit on.

i have no problem if Munich wins the bid. After all they have the experience. BUT if Pyeongchang gets the bid then it will be great too. IOC needs to expand the games from other countries. Give them a chance.

No, they don't. The first and foremost consideration of the IOC should be if the country is stable enough to host an Olympics. I mean, Rio for the 2016 summer games was a STUPID idea. Who thought of that? Murder capital of the world, great idea. No-one will be safe, especially not spectators who might unwittingly wander into a black spot. But well done IOC on expanding the Olympics... /sarcasm

If Korea's bid shows that they are capable, sure, why not. But if there are holes in the bid, then they don't get it. We don't want another Athens (barely ready in time) or India with the Commonwealth Games (not ready at all).

Here in Australia our feed was the NBC, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

A.H.Black
06-08-2011, 03:43 AM

Just remember that South Korea has hosted an Olympics - 1988. None of the main countries in the running for 2018 is a first time country.

RD
06-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Argh. That would suck. That's the main reason that I never get to see competitions.

Honestly, though, it would probably shoot ratings in the foot. But you're right, everything's an extra charge these days. Isn't there any consolation for broke college students? ;)

It would be awesome if they found a way to deliver it to consumers, free-of-charge, minimal ads, NO restrictions, reliable streams. But that's only in a perfect world, right?

riveredge
06-08-2011, 04:36 AM
No, they don't. The first and foremost consideration of the IOC should be if the country is stable enough to host an Olympics. I mean, Rio for the 2016 summer games was a STUPID idea. Who thought of that? Murder capital of the world, great idea. No-one will be safe, especially not spectators who might unwittingly wander into a black spot. But well done IOC on expanding the Olympics... /sarcasm

If Korea's bid shows that they are capable, sure, why not. But if there are holes in the bid, then they don't get it. We don't want another Athens (barely ready in time) or India with the Commonwealth Games (not ready at all).

Here in Australia our feed was the NBC, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Like what I said I don't have a problem if Munich gets the bid for that matter. I'm just saying that if IOC thinks Pyeongchang, Munich or Annecy fits to host the games, then go for it.. and it's time for an Asian country to host the games other than Japan.

As for Rio, well, 2016 is still far away. To say it's a stupid idea to let them host the Summer olympics is quiet ridiculous.

Athens did well enough. Sure, there were some worries but at the end the Olympics was successful. India didn't have time to prepare. But I don't see any similarities between Pyeongchang and India. Pyeongchang has both the financial and public/govt. support. They're one of the most stable economies in the world. This is the third time, some of their stadiums are already ready.

Just remember that South Korea has hosted an Olympics - 1988. None of the main countries in the running for 2018 is a first time country.

That's true but Winter Olympics is quiet different from the Summer games.

smartblade
06-08-2011, 04:50 AM
NBC coverage is horrible... Canada's coverage is amazing, mind you the olympics were in Canada, but i even remember watching the 2002 olympics and Canada's CBC coverage still out did NBC and the olympics were in the United states.

I travelled to the Philippines and was worried i was going to miss the final 3 days of the olympics last year and not be able to watch the women's free skate, the hockey finals, curling finals or closing ceremonies. To my surprise the philippines has a 24HR sports channel that was devoted to televising the winter olympics (thank you solar sport network) i was able to watch it all. There wasn't even a single athlete competing for the Philippines.

Cheylana
06-08-2011, 05:20 AM
What is a "black spot"? In any case, millions of people vacation in Rio every year, so it can't be that bad.

Macassar88
06-08-2011, 05:57 AM
I like the way CCTV commentates. They say some stuff before the skater starts, shut up so you can enjoy the performance, and then make their commentary. (I don't speak Chinese, so I don't know if it's good commentary, but I like that format)

skfan
06-08-2011, 06:43 AM
I like the way CCTV commentates. They say some stuff before the skater starts, shut up so you can enjoy the performance, and then make their commentary. (I don't speak Chinese, so I don't know if it's good commentary, but I like that format)

i would pay extra to have a commentary-free feed. i don't need their spoon fed garbage.

Jammers
06-08-2011, 06:50 AM
I hate NBC. Besides very little live coverage this means we are stuck with that smug midget Bob Costas hosting for another 10 years.

victoriaheidi
06-08-2011, 07:14 AM
It would be awesome if they found a way to deliver it to consumers, free-of-charge, minimal ads, NO restrictions, reliable streams. But that's only in a perfect world, right?

Eh, I wouldn't expect much...I don't know, it would just be nice if TV networks could find a way to play a good portion of the events on basic TV. But it probably won't happen.

lexeoe
06-08-2011, 07:34 AM

PC can win but for another year. new frontiers be damned when there's a better bid.

RD
06-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Eh, I wouldn't expect much...I don't know, it would just be nice if TV networks could find a way to play a good portion of the events on basic TV. But it probably won't happen.

I must be in the minority here but I REALLY don't mind online/mobile coverage. In fact, I would welcome it. I would embrace it. We're not always in front of the TV to catch the event any more. Maybe it's just me being of the younger generation or whatnot, but TV is no longer the only outlet. There are far too many events (particularly during summer games) to possibly show everything on TV channels. Even if you're ESPN or Comcast.

Now, of course I would prefer watching on an HDTV (particularly so I can DVR and archive footage), but if I can watch it live online, I don't care about tape-delayed coverage on TV. Like I said elsewhere, if NBC did their TV coverage exactly the same, but offered LIVE online coverage of events in progress- that would be enough for me.

Now, Comcast needs to utilize their cable channels a little more. Use Versus and other cable networks for live daytime coverage and the Comcast regional networks for localized coverage. Put whatever can't be shown on TV on the internet (or make EVERYTHING available on the internet) and offer it free of charge and without restrictions, if financially feasible. Then use NBC for the regular prime-time show on tape. You'll still get that huge audience because while watching live online is great, nothing like experiencing it on a big-screen TV. Best of both worlds. (this is what ESPN was promising, BTW)

riveredge
06-08-2011, 08:46 AM
PC can win but for another year. new frontiers be damned when there's a better bid.

What do you mean another year? This is PC's 3RD bid! :lol: Some of their stadiums are ready. :lol: It's time for an Asian country to host the games. You have Sochi from Europe and Vancouver from North America already. New Horizons means fresh and new crowd which I don't see any problem with it. Just to be fair. By the way I'm from the Philippines. It's easy for me to go to Korea. :rofl: