PDA

View Full Version : Emmys, Schmemmys, and other Gimmes (TV awards - summer 2011)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

rfisher
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
If Margo Martindale doesn't win supporting actress in a drama series, I hope she gives a glass of Mag's apple shine to every voter who didn't vote for her. She was riveting in Justified this season. Hands down best TV villain ever. Brilliant portrayal.

I know it's a long shot for Walton Goggins (also in Justified) but he is so over due between Justified and The Shield. Fantastic actor. And Timothy Oliphant is :swoon:

Allen
09-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Margo Martindale is the only one I really, really want to win. The other categories each have a couple of people that I'd be okay with winning. It's a shame though because it's such a strong category and really any of the women would be deserving winners. I think it's going to boil down to Martindale and McDonald, but if they split the votes, I think Punjabi or even Forbes could sneak in and nab a win. I'm hoping the fact that Martindale has been around forever and has gotten few accolades will play in her favor kind of like Melissa Leo at the Oscars last year.

Laura Linney, should, in my opinion, win tonight. I like Amy Poehler, but she didn't come close to Linney for me. Plimpton is also good, but I just think other than Linney, it was a weak category this year.

I'd kind of like to see Dinklage take home the prize for supporting actor. I always root for Michael C. Hall, but I'm assuming John Hamm will finally take home the prize since Breaking Bad was ineligible this year and I'm fine with that. I think Timothy Olyphant is also very deserving, but Emmy's generally work in retrograde, so I'm assuming Hamm will win based on the three previous losses.

Mad Men had a really good season, so I think a win would be deserved. I actually prefer Game of Thrones to Boardwalk Empire, but if anyone upsets Mad Men, I assume it will be Boardwalk Empire.

I don't want Betty White to win. I love her, but I don't like that show at all. I'd really rather Sofia Vergara win, but she didn't submit a good episode, so it seems like the chances of that are low. I think Jane Lynch picked the best episode she could have chosen from last season.

I'd personally rather Mireille Enos win over Juliana Margulies, but I don't see that happening. I just really, really hope that Kathy Bates doesn't pull of an upset. I think she's good on Harry's Law, but not on the level of the other nominees and also not of Katie Segal who should have been nominated.

Fergus
09-18-2011, 06:53 PM
^ A question: Where can one find the list of episodes submitted for consideration? I'm guessing the official Emmy website? :)

Allen
09-18-2011, 06:58 PM
The link Viet provided has the episodes submitted.

Beefcake
09-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Linney is pitch perfect in everything I've ever seen her in (although, poor thing, she ended up with "Frasier"), and my early support of her was based on that knowledge. However, with Showtime's "customer appreciation" 3-month Showtime freebie (thanks, Showtime! :)), I've viewed the entire Big C first season, and I can legitimately testify (can I get an Amen?!) that Laura is amazing in that role. :respec:

Heavy, heavy, heavy subject matter, of course, but LL makes me laugh throughout.* This mix would be a disaster in the hands of a lesser actress; but, Linney makes it soar. I've seen the nominated episodes of the other favored actresses. Goddess Fey was okay and Poehler and Plimpton were :lol: outstanding (hopefully they'll each win in the next couple/three years), but I think that Linney's work was extraordinary.

*Her excellent costars Oliver Pratt, Gabby Sidibe, Cynthia Nixon, and John Benjamin Hickey also deftly walk the comedy/heavy drama. :mad: JBH's nomination went to one of the frigging Modern Family guys. Frigging MH overkill.

oleada
09-18-2011, 08:12 PM
When do the red carpet shows start?

Allen
09-18-2011, 08:19 PM
*Her excellent costars Oliver Pratt, Gabby Sidibe, Cynthia Nixon, and John Benjamin Hickey also deftly walk the comedy/heavy drama. :mad: JBH's nomination went to one of the frigging Modern Family guys. Frigging MH overkill.

I think Phyllis Somerville also deserves mention for her sublime turn as Marlene in Season 1. She rarely gets much attention, but has done a lot of work. She was equally great in the Kate Winslet vehicle Little Children.

I think JBH was definitely deserving of a nomination. I saw him on Broadway in The Normal Heart and he was spectacular.

Allen
09-18-2011, 08:23 PM
When do the red carpet shows start?

E! goes live at 6pm.

Wyliefan
09-18-2011, 08:27 PM
I hope Maggie Smith's category is up early. Gotta switch over to Inspector Lewis at 9, but I really would like to see her win. If she wins. Fingers crossed!

Fergus
09-18-2011, 08:37 PM
I think Phyllis Somerville also deserves mention for her sublime turn as Marlene in Season 1. She rarely gets much attention, but has done a lot of work. She was equally great in the Kate Winslet vehicle Little Children.

Somerville is a brilliant! Did you catch her as the artist's wife in Season 1 of "Sex and the City"? :lol:

Allen
09-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Somerville is a brilliant! Did you catch her as the artist's wife in Season 1 of "Sex and the City"? :lol:

I still believe that's the greatest line ever uttered on Sex and the City :)

PeterG
09-20-2011, 12:46 AM
:cheer2: for Julianna Margulies!!! Great work this past year. Wish Archie Panjabi had joined her, but I think that might have been too much to ask for.

And I thought Jane Lynch was phenomenal. Hope she wins an Emmy next year for hosting this year's Emmys. :D

Kasey
09-20-2011, 04:55 AM
I still believe that's the greatest line ever uttered on Sex and the City :)

Which line? (is somewhat abashed at having watched some of Sex in the City)