PDA

View Full Version : Emmys, Schmemmys, and other Gimmes (TV awards - summer 2011)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Allskate
07-15-2011, 09:45 PM
:cheer2: Johnny Galecki! I love, love, love The Big Bang Theory. For me, Bialik didn't rise to the level of Emmy worthy.

IMO, it's Jim Parsons who really brings the funny on BBT. He is fantastic in that role.

vesperholly
07-15-2011, 10:03 PM
IMO, it's Jim Parsons who really brings the funny on BBT. He is fantastic in that role.

That is true, and he definitely deserved his Emmy and Globe wins last year. I just have a weeny crush soft spot for Galecki :)

BigB08822
07-15-2011, 11:04 PM
It just bugs me that he's nominated for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. He wasn't funny.

The show he is on is classified as a comedy so he will always be nominated within the comedy category. His acting does not have to be comedic, he was just the best supporting actor in the comedies that year according to the voters. They may have voted for him because he was able to pull off drama and comedy as he did have lines now and then that were funny.

rjblue
07-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Loved to see Johnny Galecki finally get some love for Big Bang Theory, but no Mayim Byalik? She's hilarious on that show! Has to be one of the best comebacks in recent years.And she actually has the same degree as her character- a doctorate in neuroscience. She actually understands all the lines she says. That deserves an Emmy all by itself. Her Erdős–Bacon number is seven! And I'm prettier than her, so she's my favourite actress.

Yay Cat Deely and Martha Plimpton! Those are the two nominations I was cheering for.

PeterG
07-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Which is why we wind up stuck with James Gandolfini, Edie Falco, Ellen Pompeo, Evangeline Lilly, Matthew Fox, Michael C. Hall, Kyra Sedgewick, Alec Baldwin, Steve Carrell, and so on and so forth being nominated year after year after year :wall: .

:huh:

Fox was nominated only once (for the final season of Lost) and Lilly has never been nominated for an Emmy.

Beefcake
09-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Boardwalk Empire lapped up the Schemmys (latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/09/boardwalk-empire-deadliest-catch-score-big-at-creative-arts-emmys.html) last night ... wonder if this is foreshadowing a Best Drama upset over Mad Men?

:kickass: Justin Timberlake won two last night, for his SNL hosting -- comedy guest actor and song -- and counting his Dick in a Box Emmy he's already got three. Betty White had better watch her back. :lol:

OTOH, :blah: Gweneth Paltrow bested Cheno and Dot Jones for the comedy guest actress Emmy.

:eek: Deadliest Catch over Hoarders for reality program! Far less shocking: Reality Host = Jeff Probst, Survivor.

Guest Actress In A Comedy Series | Gwyneth Paltrow, Glee
Guest Actor In A Comedy Series | Justin Timberlake, Saturday Night Live
Guest Actress In A Drama Series | Loretta Devine, Grey’s Anatomy
Guest Actor In A Drama Series | Paul McCrane, Harry’s Law

Allen
09-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Loretta Devine was very good, but I have a hard time with her beating Julia Styles here. I'm not even a Styles fan, but she's was stellar on Dexter this season.

I think we all knew that Paltrow was going to win, but I have to call wuzrobbed for Dot Jones.

Mia Michaels took Choreography again.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Honestly though, Dot Jones' material didn't showcase her acting while Gwyneth Paltrow's episode was basically a love letter to her the way Chenoweth's episode was last season. I still think Chenoweth would have walked away with her Emmy if it wasn't for the Betty White lovefest that was going on last year. I'm a huge fan of Cheno but she was wasted in her episode this season.

Apparently, Jane Lynch is the favorite for the Emmy this year despite Sue having an uneven season because Sofia Vegara picked a bad episode to submit (two years in a row!) and her biggest competition (Kristen Wiig) chose the SNL episode where Jane Lynch hosted which shows Lynch's comedic skills off.

HeatherC
09-12-2011, 04:17 AM
I know it's a massive long shot but I would love to see Friday Night Lights win something next weekend. Long live the underdogs! :cheer:

KikiSashaFan
09-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Mia Michaels took Choreography again.

So did NappyTabs. I guess it's like a law that Mia gets an Emmy and then they pick a second person to share with.

Beefcake
09-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Apparently, Jane Lynch is the favorite for the Emmy this year despite Sue having an uneven season because Sofia Vegara picked a bad episode to submit (two years in a row!) and her biggest competition (Kristen Wiig) chose the SNL episode where Jane Lynch hosted which shows Lynch's comedic skills off.
Hmmm, Wiig as favorite means all but one of the SA gals are getting mention as possible winners. Most "experts" I've read who don't pick Lynch are settling on Julie Bowen, a few still in Vergara's camp, and others are warning not to count out the Emmy prowess of Betty White.

Meanwhile, nobody is talking about the "other" Jane - Krakowski - and this is a perfect set-up for one of those :eek: from left field upsets. Even though I "called" Sophia's Emmy months ago and would still :) that ... I'd love to see Jane K win this after years of kudos with no payoff. Jane K is just as deserving as the other women, and she submitted a pretty strong episode for her ... question is would voters penchant for rewarding the longshot be able to overcome the cartoonish absurdity that is 30 Rock (and Jane's episode pushes that even further!) and the headstarts the other four have? Probably not, but I'd :cheer: for it.

Cyn
09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
OTOH, :blah: Gweneth Paltrow bested Cheno and Dot Jones for the comedy guest actress Emmy.

:blah: is right (not sure which one it is, but there's a thread from OTBT -- maybe the Oscar nominations thread? -- that has all kinds of Paltrow dissing). I loved it.

:eek: Deadliest Catch over Hoarders for reality program!

:respec: Not only is it a great show, but this season took "reality" TV to a very real level when Captain Phil Harris died :wuzrobbed

Far less shocking: Reality Host = Jeff Probst, Survivor.

Cat Deeley wuzrobbed!! :mitchell:

I know it's a massive long shot but I would love to see Friday Night Lights win something next weekend. Long live the underdogs! :cheer:

Damn straight. I spend a good part of my Freshman year drooling from afar over Kyle Chandler in the Drama Building at UGA. Hopefully he won't be overlooked by the voters.

Fergus
09-18-2011, 05:47 PM
*BUMP*!!!!

It's Emmy Night! :watch:

Anyone wanna give share their predix and/or wishlist?

My $.02:

Drama: I'd like Game of Thrones, but I'm gonna go with a Mad Men vs. Boardwalk battle to the death......

Comedy: Big Bang Theory (The *BEST* ensemble comedy since vintage "Friends"!)

Actor, Drama: Kyle Chandler (IMHO, they wanna give "FNL" something and this might be a good way, by honoring the journeyman.......)

Actress, Drama: Julianna Margulies

Actor, Comedy: Jim Parsons (But for some reason, I'm sensing a Louis C. K. upset......)

Actress, Comedy: I'd love Poehler or Plimpton, but I'm guessing Linney.......

Sup Actor, Drama: Betwixt Cumming or Dinklage

Sup Actress, Drama: TOTAL TOSS-UP!

Sup Actor, Comedy: I want Colfer, but Burrell and Ferguson seem likely

Sup Actress, Comedy: Should be Wiig all the way, Vergara is a wee-bit over rated, IMHO, the BEST lady on "MF" is Julie Bowen. :)

VIETgrlTerifa
09-18-2011, 06:16 PM
This is what this pundit has tot say:

http://boomer.awardsheaven.net/

I don't think there's anyway Steve Carrell is going to lose this year. He's never won, and he submitted his farewell episode.

I want Laura Linney to win the Emmy because her pilot episode was absolutely brilliant.

BigB08822
09-18-2011, 06:30 PM
I am rooting for Dinklage the most. Oh, and Betty White even though I am sure Lynch will win.