PDA

View Full Version : Emmys, Schmemmys, and other Gimmes (TV awards - summer 2011)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

screech
07-15-2011, 03:43 AM
Chris Colfer's nomination is just as puzzling to me as his nomination (and win) was for the comedy category. I know Glee Season 2 was "The Year of Kurt", but much of his storlyline was angst-ridden, not funny. Very bizarre placement.

I don't understand it either. I also don't get the Jane Lynch love - Sue Sylvester makes me wish I owned a gun.

I'm disappointed in the lack of Community and Cougar Town. Not too surprised by the lack of True Blood (though yay for Alfre Woodard) but I am surprised that Denis O'Hare didn't get recognition for his role as Russell Edgington. He was fantastic!!

Happy Cat Deeley was finally nominated. Surprised at the lack of Neil Patrick Harris. HIMYM hasn't been as great lately, but NPH always brings it with Barney.

Loved to see Johnny Galecki finally get some love for Big Bang Theory, but no Mayim Byalik? She's hilarious on that show! Has to be one of the best comebacks in recent years.

love skating
07-15-2011, 03:50 AM
I'm just very happy Parks and Recreation finally got nominated - LOVE that show!

ross_hy
07-15-2011, 03:52 AM
So happy about FNL and Cat Deeley! All richly deserved.

AragornElessar
07-15-2011, 06:17 AM
I've been out of the house all day long and didn't get back till fairly late tonight, so missed the Nomination announcment.

So beyond happy for Cat, as it's about freaking time!!! YES!!! :D

That Leading Lady in a Miniseries or Movie is pretty packed w/talent.

Happy for all of the FNL fans out there. Sad it's only now the show, which I've heard so much about, but could never seem to be able to find it anywhere, gets nominated for the Final Season. I wish I did, as I love Kyle Chandler, as I wish I had a good feeling for all of you on Emmy night, but I believe sadly you'll have the same experience we Star Trek : TNG fans had when the show and Patrick Stewart got nominated for the biggies finally for the last season and.... :(

I really hope that's not the case for all of you though and will be rooting on the FNL gang Emmy night!!!

Hedwig
07-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Game of Thrones should have gotten a nomination for music which is outstanding and even more actor nominations. The actors there are terrific.

vesperholly
07-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Loved to see Johnny Galecki finally get some love for Big Bang Theory, but no Mayim Byalik? She's hilarious on that show! Has to be one of the best comebacks in recent years.

:cheer2: Johnny Galecki! I love, love, love The Big Bang Theory. For me, Bialik didn't rise to the level of Emmy worthy.

As far as Mad Men being over the hill, just watch "The Suitcase". Season 4 was uneven as hell, but that episode was phenomenal and I'm thrilled Elisabeth Moss got herself a nomination.

Love Modern Family but that supporting actor category is ludicrous (but yay Jesse Tyler Ferguson!). The Emmys really, really needs an ensemble award.

The nominations for Chris Colfer and Jane Lynch are just incumbent nominations. Once you get nominated and especially when you win, it's not as hard to get nominated again. I doubt Lynch will repeat her win - she had nothing interesting to do in Season 2.

Cyn
07-15-2011, 03:54 PM
:cheer2: Johnny Galecki! I love, love, love The Big Bang Theory. For me, Bialik didn't rise to the level of Emmy worthy.

I've still yet to watch The Big Bang Theory, but I've had ookoodles of people say it's :rofl: and I should check it out. For me, Johnny Galecki will always be David Healy, Darlene's p*whipped boyfriend on Roseanne :lol:. I've seen him in a few other shows (Rusty/Russ in Christmas Vacation, Rusty (Russ) Griswold v3.0 in Christmas Vacation, Trouty on My Boys), the little kid in Prancer

Love Modern Family but that supporting actor category is ludicrous (but yay Jesse Tyler Ferguson!). The Emmys really, really needs an ensemble award.

I completely agree. Over the years, there have been many well done, entertaining shows whose success was largely due to the entire cast working together as one entity. Those seem to be overlooked in favor of shows with one (sometimes two) dominant character who for the most part carries the entire show, with the purpose of the supporting cast being more or less to serve/enhance the star. There should definitely be an Ensemble Cast Emmy for TV series in which the sum of its parts makes the show work (Battlestar Galactica, anyone?).

The nominations for Chris Colfer and Jane Lynch are just incumbent nominations. Once you get nominated and especially when you win, it's not as hard to get nominated again. I doubt Lynch will repeat her win - she had nothing interesting to do in Season 2.

Which is why we wind up stuck with James Gandolfini, Edie Falco, Ellen Pompeo, Evangeline Lilly, Matthew Fox, Michael C. Hall, Kyra Sedgewick, Alec Baldwin, Steve Carrell, and so on and so forth being nominated year after year after year :wall: .

BigB08822
07-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I've still yet to watch The Big Bang Theory, but I've had ookoodles of people say it's :rofl: and I should check it out. For me, Johnny Galecki will always be David Healy, Darlene's p*whipped boyfriend on Roseanne :lol:

Galecki pretty pretty plays the role the same way, I don't think he has very many layers as an actor. :lol: His annoying habit of cocking his head back and squinting his eyes ALL THE TIME really bothers me. He could be replaced on the show and I wouldn't care.

Cachoo
07-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Wow! I just realized Matt LeBlanc received a nomination for his work in "Episodes." I really like the show but did not realize anyone was watching. I do wish his two British costars were recognized but Modern Family seems to own the supporting comedy supporting categories. Maybe the next Golden Globes....

rfisher
07-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Cyn, I agree about SOA, but since Justified got 4 noms, I'm hoping SOA will get it's recognition next season. All 4 Justified nominations were totally deserved and Margo Martindale absolutely deserves to win. She was perfect in the role. Graham Yost really deserves a production and writing nomination. I'm hoping Elmore Leonard will write a couple episodes next season like he did this time. SOA and Justified are two of my favorite shows.

I tried watching Big Bang Theory and thought it was stupid. I never watched a second episode.

BigB08822
07-15-2011, 04:26 PM
All 4 Justified nominations were totally deserved and Margo Martindale absolutely deserves to win.

Oh come on, you know you wanted to say that those nominations were...justified. :lol:

Cachoo
07-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Cyn, I agree about SOA, but since Justified got 4 noms, I'm hoping SOA will get it's recognition next season. All 4 Justified nominations were totally deserved and Margo Martindale absolutely deserves to win. She was perfect in the role. Graham Yost really deserves a production and writing nomination. I'm hoping Elmore Leonard will write a couple episodes next season like he did this time. SOA and Justified are two of my favorite shows.

I tried watching Big Bang Theory and thought it was stupid. I never watched a second episode.

I think I would rather be a good character actress like Margo with staying power even as she ages than some young starlet that is here today gone tomorrow. Margo was terrific and scary and I too hope she wins.

rfisher
07-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Oh come on, you know you wanted to say that those nominations were...justified. :lol:

:lol: :D

jamesy
07-15-2011, 06:33 PM
I've still yet to watch The Big Bang Theory, but I've had ookoodles of people say it's :rofl: and I should check it out. For me, Johnny Galecki will always be David Healy, Darlene's p*whipped boyfriend on Roseanne :lol:. I've seen him in a few other shows (Rusty/Russ in Christmas Vacation, Rusty (Russ) Griswold v3.0 in Christmas Vacation, Trouty on My Boys), the little kid in Prancer
I knew about the premise of Big Bang Theory but never watched an episode. Then a couple of weeks ago I caught one on accident and was surprised how funny it was. I believe BBT is going into syndication this fall, so I might just catch up on the series then.

victoriaheidi
07-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Chris Colfer's nomination is just as puzzling to me as his nomination (and win) was for the comedy category. I know Glee Season 2 was "The Year of Kurt", but much of his storlyline was angst-ridden, not funny. Very bizarre placement.

It just bugs me that he's nominated for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. He wasn't funny.