PDA

View Full Version : When an invitation says 'No Gifts' do you still bring one?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sequins
06-07-2011, 04:24 AM
I need some help here. I am invited to a 60th anniversary and I was invited over the phone and I was told not to bring a gift, just bring something to eat. It's in the afternoon and it's like a potluck get together, I guess. Anyway I"m wondering when they say 'No Gifts" I know people still bring them and I feel kinda awkward if I don't but really what could they possibly want or need. A card was already sent as their anniversary was a month ago. So what do you do?

numbers123
06-07-2011, 04:30 AM
I would honor the no gifts. My parents had asked the same thing for their wedding anniversary and were a little annoyed by those who brought gifts.

Holley Calmes
06-07-2011, 04:32 AM
Don't bring a gift! They have asked you not to. I'm sure anyone married 60 years has enough "stuff."

If you feel wrong not doing anything-and I understand that-bring flowers or a card. Donate in the name of their favorite charity. Believe me-at this age, people are just happy to see you. The best gift you can give is your presence. Why do we think that our company is not enough? In fact, I think the "no gifts" request is simply saying-"you're all we need!"

gingercrush
06-07-2011, 04:33 AM
Don't send a gift. They're said no gifts so you don't gift.

sequins
06-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Ok Thanks. No gift. I think the same I just wish everyone would honour it. But then that's just me feeling uncomfortable even though I know it's not about me.

purple skates
No gift. Your presence is enough.

pat c
Your gift is your presence. Take yourself, some food and have a good time. :)

genevieve
06-07-2011, 05:17 AM
agree with the no gifts - I think if you really feel uncomfortable not giving a gift you could make a donation in their honor to a charity they either support or that you think would be a good fit for them.

Anita18
06-07-2011, 05:27 AM
agree with the no gifts - I think if you really feel uncomfortable not giving a gift you could make a donation in their honor to a charity they either support or that you think would be a good fit for them.
Yes, in that case it'd be a gift without the actual stuff that people can find annoying to deal with. :)

jlai
06-07-2011, 05:36 AM
I've told people "no gifts" for years and I still get Xmas and birthday presents. Oh well.

I do get 1 or 2 persons to donate in my name every Xmas and birthday but I really want the donation in lieu of gifts...

But yeah, no gifts means no gifts.

manhn
06-07-2011, 05:37 AM
No gift! When I bought my place, I told people not to give me any housewarming gifts because I didn't want "stuff" in my place (and don't get me started on plants--I hate plants!).

If you really, really, really want to give a gift, a charitable donation is great or a gift certificate to a restaurant. Something easily disposable.

JasperBoy
06-07-2011, 05:57 AM
By all means honour the No Gift request. However, if you have a good photo of the couple, especially with you, put it in an inexpensive frame and give it to them. That is meaningful and personal but not really a gift.

manhn
06-07-2011, 06:07 AM
By all means honour the No Gift request. However, if you have a good photo of the couple, especially with you, put it in an inexpensive frame and give it to them. That is meaningful and personal but not really a gift.

Then they have to put the frame in their house. STUFF!

Aussie Willy
06-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Just take the food as they have asked but no gift.

Aceon6
06-07-2011, 12:52 PM
This is a pet peeve of mine. When hosts say "no gifts" they really mean it. If something can't be used AT the event, don't bring it.