PDA

View Full Version : Residents Oppose Next-Door Hospice Because of "Cultural Beliefs"

overedge
06-07-2011, 12:46 AM
I posted about this back in January when the issue first arose. The hospice has just been approved and the neighbours are still complaining that their views are being ignored. Apparently that's because people still disagree with them :rolleyes:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/university-of-british-columbia-set-to-approve-hospice-despite-neighbours-concerns/article2048220/

Cyn
06-07-2011, 12:51 AM
File this one under "You've Got To Be Fcuking Kidding Me" :rolleyes: :mad:

The hypocrisy of NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) assholes makes my blood boil, especially in a case like this.

LilJen
06-07-2011, 01:44 AM
If Chinese-Canadians object to having dying people nearby, I wonder what is the Chinese tradition for dealing with aging/dying people? I had been under the impression that they were (generally speaking; I know China is a LOT of different cultures/ethnicities/tribes and such) a lot more respectful of aging people than Americans generally are??

My younger sister, a nurse, recently made a move from an intensive care unit in a hospital to a hospice home. She LOVES it. People are not in denial about their disease or its progression, and it's a place to make peace with oneself, one's family and friends, life in general.

barbk
06-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Agreed, LilJen -- the hospice I've been to was one of the most pleasant and peaceful facilities imaginable. I'd be happy to have one on the block.

But, different cultures, different views. From what I've read the Navajo people would probably find a hospice situated near their homes unacceptable as well.

cygnus
06-07-2011, 05:03 AM
There was a fuss in Ottawa a few years ago because some members of the Chinese community did not want a funeral home near their neighborhood. And for the same reasons. IIRC it wasn't built in that location.

I don't know how they deal with such things in China.

Gazpacho
06-07-2011, 05:55 AM
If Chinese-Canadians object to having dying people nearby, I wonder what is the Chinese tradition for dealing with aging/dying people? I had been under the impression that they were (generally speaking; I know China is a LOT of different cultures/ethnicities/tribes and such) a lot more respectful of aging people than Americans generally are??Though nursing homes are rising in East Asia, it's more common for aging adults to be cared for at home by their children and/or other family members.

manhn
06-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Unless things have changed since I left that school, what is the response from the Asian student groups? IIRC, there were a couple of them around campus.

No sympathy. To me, this is all about money (although I don't think a hospice would lower property values in anyway--it's not like it's a drug rehab or something).

My parents are wanting to downsize, so I have gone with them to various new housing developments around the area. I took them to a nice looking development that was next to a cemetery. My dad kept going on and on about it, he asked if I was planning to bury him there. Okay, dad, got the hint. No cemeteries.

Cyn
06-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Unless things have changed since I left that school, what is the response from the Asian student groups? IIRC, there were a couple of them around campus.

No sympathy. To me, this is all about money (although I don't think a hospice would lower property values in anyway--it's not like it's a drug rehab or something).

My parents are wanting to downsize, so I have gone with them to various new housing developments around the area. I took them to a nice looking development that was next to a cemetery. My dad kept going on and on about it, he asked if I was planning to bury him there. Okay, dad, got the hint. No cemeteries.

Then again, they wouldn't have to worry about noisy neighbors :shuffle: