PDA

View Full Version : Next Food Network Star, Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

danceronice
07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Orchid is my favorite but I'm not sure she has what it takes to carry a show. As much as Vic bugged at the beginning, he has grown on me and I could actually see myself watching his show.

Just not alot to choose from this group.

I find Vic the one I'd likely watch and I could see Orchid growing into a show. I can't imagine watching the rest.

skatesindreams
07-05-2011, 03:11 PM
I could see Mary Beth in a food/restaurant informational program,
That;s something that FN hasn't done much to address.

It could also have a cooking component from time to time, since she seems capable.

Scintillation
07-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Switch to The Cooking Channel. I enjoy their shows more and find them much more informative and entertaining. I like watching TNFNS and She Who Shall Not Be Named (http://dunnweddingplanning.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/sandra-lee.jpg), but I pretty much tune in to The Cooking Channel when I need a foodie fix.

Oh, I'm also a cooking channel junkie, don't worry. If anything, the introduction of their sister channel has only exacerbated my food tv addictions. Those are literally the only two channels I watch when I turn on the TV. My sister wants to watch Law and Order: SVU? Screw that, Chuck Hughes is on and he is CUTE. :swoon:

DarrellH
07-05-2011, 07:11 PM
It sometimes seems as though the judges want everyone to have the same personality.

danceronice
07-05-2011, 07:49 PM
I could see Mary Beth in a food/restaurant informational program,
That;s something that FN hasn't done much to address.

It could also have a cooking component from time to time, since she seems capable.

They used to have some shows like that, but I would bet they realized they lost that market to the Travel Channel.

I don't find Mary Beth interesting enough to watch on TV.

Rex
07-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Oh, I'm also a cooking channel junkie, don't worry. If anything, the introduction of their sister channel has only exacerbated my food tv addictions. Those are literally the only two channels I watch when I turn on the TV. My sister wants to watch Law and Order: SVU? Screw that, Chuck Hughes is on and he is CUTE. :swoon:

I'm mad for Chuck. Lurve his French-Canadian accent, and his dishes are always interesting. He has supplanted Tyler Florence for me as far as hot TV chefs go...

skatesindreams
07-05-2011, 10:11 PM
They used to have some shows like that, but I would bet they realized they lost that market to the Travel Channel.

That doesn't mean they couldn't/shouldn't try to recapture it,

DarrellH
07-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I love the Cooking Channel. I'm a fan of Bitchin' Kitchen. Buried under all the comedy and flash, there are some pretty good recipes.

Allen
07-06-2011, 12:35 AM
I love the Cooking Channel. I'm a fan of Bitchin' Kitchen. Buried under all the comedy and flash, there are some pretty good recipes.

I agree. I adore Bitch' Kitchen. I've made a few of her recipes and they were really tasty.

I really like Cooking Channel as well. There's a few shows I'm not crazy about...Dave Rocco being chief among them. I love Chuch Hughes and think he is :grope:

I've gotten some really good recipes from the French show.

Rex
07-06-2011, 01:49 AM
There is something about David Rocco that is snotty and off-putting IMHO. YMMV. But at least my girl Nigella has found a home, albeit in reruns.

Scintillation
07-06-2011, 05:59 AM
I'm mad for Chuck. Lurve his French-Canadian accent, and his dishes are always interesting. He has supplanted Tyler Florence for me as far as hot TV chefs go...

ITA. Tyler has gotten a bit douchebag-esque for me in that he seems more like a salesman than a chef these days. Chuck seems so genuinely excited about cooking and just so...huggable...and...will he let me be a guest on his show just so I can hug him while he cooks? Please? :swoon:
I have made his recipe for baby back ribs and OMG they were delicious.
I also agree about Dave Rocco. I can't put my finger on it but something seems superficial about him. I watched Bitchin Kitchen once and I actually found myself giggling, plus her recipe for fried ravioli with a checca sauce looked pretty yummy.

danceronice
07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
That doesn't mean they couldn't/shouldn't try to recapture it,

Eh...actually, no. If they're losing the 'clever travel' market already, but are making good ad money on step-by-step shows, unless there's a HUGE gap their competitors are missing (I would say high-end stuff, but the fact that Fine Living vanished suggests there isn't much of a market for that) then it doesn't make sense to knock themselves out competing when they're starting from behind. Instead, focus on what's working for their niche. Cable/Satelite is getting to be a very niche-market situation with specialized channels. They're not going to beat MvF, Bizarre Foods, and they had their shot with Anthony Bourdain and blew it. For a 'fix-it' show, they'd have to compete with Gordon Ramsey or get him themselves. There apparently wasn't a market for a finer-things travel and food network or FLN wouldn't have vanished. So they'd be smarter to stick with what's been working--procedurals, and competition (Chopped, NFNS, Iron Chef America, Challenge, etc.)

Rex
07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
ITA. Tyler has gotten a bit douchebag-esque for me in that he seems more like a salesman than a chef these days. According to his website, he has opened a specialty food store (http://www.tylerflorence.com/#shop) in California. He sells some expensive stuff in there from what I can see. I wonder if you can't buy some of those things at Wal-Mart for much cheaper. But it gives a person foodie street cred if they say they got it from Tyler Florence's shop. I know some people who have met him say he and his Mrs. are not so nice to "common people", and others who say he couldn't be sweeter. But you know how I HATE gossip, so.....

Chuck seems so genuinely excited about cooking and just so...huggable...and...will he let me be a guest on his show just so I can hug him while he cooks? Please? :swoon:
I have made his recipe for baby back ribs and OMG they were delicious.
I also agree about Dave Rocco. I can't put my finger on it but something seems superficial about him. I watched Bitchin Kitchen once and I actually found myself giggling, plus her recipe for fried ravioli with a checca sauce looked pretty yummy. I'm dying to make one of his dishes....can't wait. Has he made poutine yet? I bet his version rocks.

KHenry14
07-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I know some people who have met him say he and his Mrs. are not so nice to "common people", and others who say he couldn't be sweeter. But you know how I HATE gossip, so.....

This is a quote from Tyler's website "bring the best of the culinary world into the homes of the masses" which sort of speaks to his being a snob.:rolleyes:

Rex
07-06-2011, 07:45 PM
This is a quote from Tyler's website "bring the best of the culinary world into the homes of the masses" which sort of speaks to his being a snob.:rolleyes:

LOL, like it's his job to do this for poor us? :P
I did so enjoy his show in the early days. I've made several of his recipes and received compliments on them. He seemed so approachable on his old shows. I don't think that he has any new shows in the pipeline for FN; he's been focusing on his store and selling his stuff. Chuck sorta reminds me of the old Tyler; young, handsome, eager to teach and to please. Hopefully Chuck won't become as jaded.