PDA

View Full Version : Next Food Network Star, Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20

KHenry14
08-08-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm hoping Mary Beth ends up with a show about high end restaurants. I would like to know what's going on in high end cuisine around the country.

The problem with this is that a lot of viewers might be turned off the topic since there's no way they could afford to go to those places. What makes Diners, Drive-ins and Dives work is that anyone can go to these places and afford to go to them.

Well, Marybeth was the obvious choice to leave this week. She's just not a good enough chef to garner the respect and credibility needed to sustain a show.

I still think Jeff is the favorite. Vic is pushing him, and Susie is third IMO. However, I think all of them can win the thing. Unlike last year where Aarti was the clear choice.

skatesindreams
08-08-2011, 08:54 PM
The problem with this is that a lot of viewers might be turned off the topic since there's no way they could afford to go to those places.

Conversely, viewers "wish" that they could go to these "high-end" restaurants/resorts; and want to know about them.
Sometimes, the information helps me plan "splurges" when I travel, also.

dbell1
08-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Another thought for the Mary Beth show is how to take high end restaurant food and tweak it for 'Sunday Supper comfort food'. That said, her ending comments to the judges and other chefs were a total 'lost out on this job, but I still want to work here' type of comment. :lol: And the "I believe in your mission" line was just :rofl: OTT.

Of the remaining 3, I don't like any of them. Guess I'll root for Suzie by default as the guys annoy me more.

jeffisjeff
08-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Conversely, viewers "wish" that they could go to these "high-end" restaurants/resorts; and want to know about them.
Sometimes, the information helps me plan "splurges" when I travel, also.

Or maybe viewers get turned off or bored with the "biggest burger ever" kind of stuff. I know I do.

ArtisticFan
08-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm glad, though, that the judges recognized how Penny acted.

I was impressed that Mary Beth took the high road on this. She could have whined and complained to the judges. Instead, she did what she had to do to get the job done. I'm sure on the inside she was thinking how unfair it was, but she didn't let it show during the competition itself.

KHenry14
08-08-2011, 11:15 PM
My point is, shows on fancy restaurants has a limited audience, wheras Triple D or biggest burger joints appeal to a wider audience.

However, i do like the idea of reinterpreting fancy restaurants recipes.

Aceon6
08-09-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm so over this show that I just fast forwarded through much of it. As soon as Penny showed up, I decided I had better things to do last night, like finish watching the SYTYCD Season 6 reruns on Ovation.

Not sure I'd watch Mary Beth's show, but I would like her to move in next door to me.

manhn
08-09-2011, 03:43 AM
My point is, shows on fancy restaurants has a limited audience, wheras Triple D or biggest burger joints appeal to a wider audience.

However, i do like the idea of reinterpreting fancy restaurants recipes.

The food shown on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" are often found in fancy restaurants. I think Mary Beth could fill the void left by Rachel Ray's 40 Dollars a Day. Maybe she can do "75 Dollars a Day."

Matryeshka
08-09-2011, 04:13 AM

It's the exact opposite with me. :lol: There's only so many burgers I can eat. I can get a good burger a lot of places. Diners are everywhere and largely the same. I like to watch Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives once about every three months, other than that it's too monotonous. I don't know how many times I've seen the same unique sauce on so many burgers, it's not even funny.

I watch FN for the fantasy. I want to see stuff I don't see on a normal basis. I want to see myself in a swanky restaurant drinking champagne.

From the comments posted, I think there's room for both types of shows.

Matryeshka
08-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Just a reminder--FN is on an hour earlier for the reunion show. I'm hoping for some :watch: moments from My Big Fat Gypsy Middle Eastern Cooking Show Penny.

dbell1
08-15-2011, 02:19 AM
Bye Mamma's Boy. You were fun and so gracious at the end.

I would totally eat Sandwich Headband King's sandwich, but he's still smarmy to me. :shuffle:

Rex
08-15-2011, 02:41 AM
I am so not caring about the final two. I'm in YouTube voids right now - skating and old car commercials.

Matryeshka
08-15-2011, 02:48 AM
I like the finalists now more than I thought I would at the beginning of this series. I'd forgotten how annoying Chris was. I'm rooting for Susie just because I think Mexican cuisine is more interesting and versatile than sandwiches. It would also be nice if FN could for once produce a decent show about any kind of Latin American cuisine. I hope if she does win, they let her broaden her concept beyond just forcing her to constantly talk about her family and their recipes since she is a trained chef.

My mom is convinced Jeff will win because they "need men."

ETA: I hate it when my mom is right.

Skittl1321
08-15-2011, 03:05 AM
So can anyone tell me who Katy is? They flashed on her face during the reunion clips and my husband and I had no idea who she was. We watched the intro to the finale and saw that.

Was she at the reunion? What about Chuba? (whose name I probably spelled wrong) was he there?

I really could not have cared less about the finale *yawn*

skatesindreams
08-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Jeff is good at what he does; although I doubt that the "Sandwich King" persona/show will last.
I believe the reason that he won is that he has skills that can be used for a variety of FN's/Cooking Channel"s potential "concepts".
Bob said as much during the discussions at the final judging.

FN chose to "type"/limit Susie; who I think is probably a more talented chef than Jeff.
If they are smart, they'll find a place for her on the network, If they don't, another show will grab her.