PDA

View Full Version : Next Food Network Star, Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

emason
07-26-2011, 02:07 PM
emason--thanks for the info on Giada. Though I am now more confused than ever on her cooking, as someone born in Rome who later trained at the Courdon Bleu should be a lot better than she actually is.

I've never actually tried to make anything of hers, so I don't know how her stuff comes out.

In fact, I don't think I've ever tried any Food Network Star's recipes. What I've learned from watching all these folks is better skills and better basics; I can chop onions a whole lot better now that I could ten years ago, for instance, just because I've watched a hundred chefs since then chop onions. Does that make sense?

Tesla
07-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I've never actually tried to make anything of hers, so I don't know how her stuff comes out.

In fact, I don't think I've ever tried any Food Network Star's recipes. What I've learned from watching all these folks is better skills and better basics; I can chop onions a whole lot better now that I could ten years ago, for instance, just because I've watched a hundred chefs since then chop onions. Does that make sense?

That makes sense to me. I've also learned a new way to cut peppers and realized that cooking (not baking) isn't rocket science. I don't adhere as closely to a recipe as I used to. I tend to eyeball things now. I like the freedom.

jeffisjeff
08-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Looks like my final three prediction will be correct: Mary Beth will be gone next week and it'll be Vic, Jeff and Susie. I like Susie and Jeff, but Vic's personality does nothing for me (although I'm sure I'd love his food). Plus, I can't stand looking at him, all muscled up. He walks like Frankenstein and he leaves me wondering what kinds of drugs he's taking. Mary Beth is actually the only remaining one who I really like. I could totally see watching a show with her in it. She wouldn't be cooking, but she'd be funny and interesting and informative.

Matryeshka
08-01-2011, 04:43 AM
I'm really not understanding why they didn't cut Vic "Vegas" tonight. Neither of his presentations were good, and from the comments, he also had the least successful dish.

I liked Whitney and wanted her to win. :wuzrobbed She seemed the most knowledgeable about food, and I think she's only had two weeks where her cooking was off. I liked Mary Beth a lot too--I can see her doing a version of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives only at more hoity-toity establishments. I could see her rocking a better version of Giada's Week-end Escapes or whatever that horror was. She could easily be FN's answer to Samantha Brown (who, btw, is a fab host and in some episodes absolutely snarktastic).

I like Jeff, but I don't think his concept can work long-term. I'd never watch a show about just sandwiches. I don't know how often I'd watch Susie, just because the other Spanish/Latin shows on FN are so bad and so over the top. Maybe if she can do one where it's more than American food with cumin wrapped in a tortilla with "authentic" margaritas at the end, I'd like it.

orbitz
08-01-2011, 04:49 AM
and a lachunga? Really? (Though if he'd added a pound of butter and 16oz of powdered sugar at the end, I bet Paula Deen would have eaten it.)

I just watch some of the episodes on the FN website. I think the 'lachunga' is right up Paula Dean's alley. She once wrapped square-cut macaroni & cheese blocks in bacon and then deep-fried them :scream:.

jeffisjeff
08-01-2011, 04:51 AM
She could easily be FN's answer to Samantha Brown (who, btw, is a fab host and in some episodes absolutely snarktastic).

We think alike. Although, apparently, I'm less of a Samatha Brown fan. :shuffle: :lol:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3238843&postcount=197

Allen
08-01-2011, 05:19 AM
I liked Mary Beth a lot too--I can see her doing a version of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives only at more hoity-toity establishments. I could see her rocking a better version of Giada's Week-end Escapes or whatever that horror was. She could easily be FN's answer to Samantha Brown (who, btw, is a fab host and in some episodes absolutely snarktastic).

We think alike. Although, apparently, I'm less of a Samatha Brown fan. :shuffle: :lol:

I hadn't thought about it, but I can really see Mary Beth doing what you described more than hosting an actual cooking show. I don't like Guy Fieri's actual cooking show, but I adore Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. I would love to have a show about going to the high end restaurants around the country. There is a lot of interesting things going on in American gastronomy right now and no one is really delving into that. I think Mary Beth is a good median between Samantha Brown and Anthony Bourdain (who I adore).

Sometimes I'll catch myself watching Samantha Brown when its a location I'm interested in. I can't say, though, that I really enjoy her personality. She's kind of phony to me.

KHenry14
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Ultimately, this show comes down to communication skills. It doesn't matter if you are a great chef if you can't explain it properly to people. And that killed Whitney's chances and improved MaryBeth's.

This will come down to Jeff and Susie, as yesterday's final table evaluation hinted at. I think Jeff is ahead because they love his charisma, and because I believe that like his point of view better. A sandwich show works for them on Saturday morning; it's unusual, it's clever, and it's a subject that reaches more people across the spectrum than a Mexican cuisine show with Susie would.

Allen
08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
This will come down to Jeff and Susie, as yesterday's final table evaluation hinted at. I think Jeff is ahead because they love his charisma, and because I believe that like his point of view better. A sandwich show works for them on Saturday morning; it's unusual, it's clever, and it's a subject that reaches more people across the spectrum than a Mexican cuisine show with Susie would.

I like Susie a lot, but there are already two Mexican cooking shows on Food Network and they are both shown at like 8 am. I have a feeling that Jeff is going to win and that he will go on a similar track to Guy Fieri and Adam Gertler.

skatesindreams
08-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I suspect that FN will find a place for Mary Beth.
She is infinitely more capable than several of their hosts, e.g. Gertler.

Where would they use Susie?
I agree that the "Mexican" niche is already full.

Matryeshka
08-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Samantha Brown's later ones are much better than her earlier ones, and she's better in North and South America than Europe and Asia. If you get a chance, watch her Las Vegas ep--she's downright sarcastic, she's in jeans, and she hops behind a bar while saying snarky things to the bartender and patrons. I think that's the "real" Samantha Brown. I'm pretty sure she was soused. They've started letting her give more of her opinion instead of just loving everything/everyone she meets. I can't take Anthony Bourdain on a regular basis, but I appreciate that he doesn't like everything and lets you know when he doesn't.

The way Mary Beth talked about that crepe...:swoon: I wanted that crepe. Clearly, when I kidnap Nigella Lawson, I must also snatch Mary Beth and force them to discuss food afterwards.

Susie originally did not want to cook Mexican food--the FN execs sort of forced her into that role, which they do with everyone who looks vaguely ethnic. They would have done it to Orchid had she stayed longer, and Whitney only escaped because she doesn't look as Asian at first glance. IIRC, Susie is also a trained chef and can (and probably wants to) do more. I like Susie OK, but I haven't seen her make any food that's really original or unique or would inspire me to go in the kitchen.

Allen
08-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Samantha Brown's later ones are much better than her earlier ones, and she's better in North and South America than Europe and Asia.

I like Susie OK, but I haven't seen her make any food that's really original or unique or would inspire me to go in the kitchen.

I saw two Samantha Brown episodes this morning, Memphis and the Colorado Rockies and actually enjoyed both. I think you're definitely right about her being better in the Americas.

Food Network seems to have this idea that you can only cook some derivative of your heritage. I wasn't a fan of them telling Susie that she needed to cook Mexican. I would actually love to have a show that depicts authentic Mexican food. However, I hate to say it, but I don't think the majority of American viewers actually want to learn to make authentic ethnic dishes. They want to learn some fusion version that mixes with something they already know. When I eat ethnic food, I want something fairly authentic, which to me, always tastes better than some American bastardization of the original.

Aceon6
08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
When I eat ethnic food, I want something fairly authentic, which to me, always tastes better than some American bastardization of the original.

Agree. I think FN forgets that most of us have to travel quite a bit to get the correct ingredients (if ethnic groceries are even an option) and that many, myself included, are uncomfortable shopping where the foods are labeled in another language. Even if the store clerks do speak English, it can be a challenge getting the right things. I prefer to have a native prepare it for me.

Jenna
08-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I liked Whitney a lot, but I understand why she was sent home.

At this point, I really want Jeff or Susie to win. Susie is so endearing.

emason
08-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I would actually love to have a show that depicts authentic Mexican food.

Rick Bayless, One Plate at a Time - only problem - he's not on Food Network.