PDA

View Full Version : Next Food Network Star, Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20

harekrishna43
07-25-2011, 08:50 PM
I watched the Rachel Ray show last week where the contestants prepared their meals and I'm a bit :eek: about the editing they did for last night's episode.

Susie was much worse than she appeared - she looked down almost the entire time and spent much of her time with the string tying up her chicken. And Vic was much worse too - he must have said "ya know" about 50 times in his food description and they managed to edit those all out.

Maryann presented a lot better than they showed her and Rachel Ray actually reminded Jeff to look at the audience member who had a question!!!

I'm sure the question Jyll got was written by the producers and that was her exit line - she had no idea what her show would actually be. I'm not sure why they kept stringing her along for so many episodes when they haven't liked her from the beginning.

Jeff has prepared some pretty weird foods but I think they like him - I think he'll be in the final 3 for sure, with Whitney and Susie as well.

KHenry14
07-25-2011, 08:58 PM
I don't get the Whitney love. IMO, she lacks the charisma needed to hold an audiences' attention.

My final three: Susie, Jeff, Vic, and I can really see Jeff winning at this point.

Jenna
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't get the Whitney love. IMO, she lacks the charisma needed to hold an audiences' attention.

My final three: Susie, Jeff, Vic, and I can really see Jeff winning at this point.

To me, she seems warm and informative. When I watch FN, I want to see not only an excellent chef, but one who is also inviting AND has the ability to teach and explain in a manner that the home-cook can understand. I don't need boatloads of "charisma" like Jeff and Vic, but that's JMO.

ilovepaydays
07-25-2011, 10:58 PM
She's just as annoying in writing as she is on TV. :scream:

No kidding. That post on FB was :shuffle:. This may seem tacky, but was anyone else irritated at the spelling of her name? "Jyll" has got to be one of the weirdest variant of a name I have seem. And "Jill" is a perfectly fine name.

As this point, I want either Whitney or Jeff to win.

Aceon6
07-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Can 'em all and give Aarti a better time slot.

Matryeshka
07-25-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't care about stories as much as the producers seem to care. Whenever I see a cook on FN that has a story for every single dish, it comes off as scripted and insincere. It's one of the problems I have with watching Ina Gartner--she's always going to a party/having people over as her reason for cooking. The Hiltons aren't that social. I don't believe you have a specific memory about everything that you cook or are entertaining constantly. Sometimes, you just cook something because it's tasty and you're hungry. :P

That's why to me certain older programs actually age better than some that are just a couple of years old--there's no story, just food and how to make food. Every once in a while, yes, a story is nice. But hearing Giada talking about her "Italian" grandmother makes me giggle--she's from an old Hollywood family, and any Italian roots she might possess has been well-pruned. You can sometimes see her remembring the script. :rofl:

I'd rather hear Whitney talk authoritatively about ingredients, what to do with them, and how to put them together than hear Vic yammer on about his momma. Your stories don't help me at all, and I don't care. Hearing that you can easily turn a chili into a gazpacho is helpful. To me, TV chefs SHOULD be teachers more than storytellers. I'm pulling for Whitney, clearly. :P I'd also be OK with Marybeth winning, because she at least has food knowledge. I just hope she takes some culinary classes should she win and her show lasts more than a season.

emason
07-26-2011, 12:12 AM
That's why to me certain older programs actually age better than some that are just a couple of years old--there's no story, just food and how to make food. Every once in a while, yes, a story is nice. But hearing Giada talking about her "Italian" grandmother makes me giggle--she's from an old Hollywood family, and any Italian roots she might possess has been well-pruned. You can sometimes see her remembring the script. :rofl:

Not quite true - Giada was born in Rome and didn't move to the US until her parents divorced. Her grandfather, the famous one in the family, came to the US for career opportunities, but an old Hollywood family that does not make.

Jenna
07-26-2011, 12:22 AM
I don't care about stories as much as the producers seem to care. Whenever I see a cook on FN that has a story for every single dish, it comes off as scripted and insincere. It's one of the problems I have with watching Ina Gartner--she's always going to a party/having people over as her reason for cooking. The Hiltons aren't that social. I don't believe you have a specific memory about everything that you cook or are entertaining constantly. Sometimes, you just cook something because it's tasty and you're hungry. :P

I'd rather hear Whitney talk authoritatively about ingredients, what to do with them, and how to put them together than hear Vic yammer on about his momma. Your stories don't help me at all, and I don't care. Hearing that you can easily turn a chili into a gazpacho is helpful. To me, TV chefs SHOULD be teachers more than storytellers. I'm pulling for Whitney, clearly. :P I'd also be OK with Marybeth winning, because she at least has food knowledge. I just hope she takes some culinary classes should she win and her show lasts more than a season.

I agree. Bob & Susie seem big on stories. Once in a while a story is great, but I don't need one during every episode.

BTW, just a sidebar, Susie Fogelson always seemed really rude & demeaning toward Jyll on every episode. I wasn't a fan, but it seemed like she was way more critical of her than any other contestant. Frankly, it seemed catty.

Skittl1321
07-26-2011, 12:34 AM
"Jyll" has got to be one of the weirdest variant of a name I have seem.

You clearly do not watch enough Toddlers and Tiaras.

harekrishna43
07-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Well after reading Jyll's FB post, I know at least understand why her POV was so vague - since they discouraged her from focusing on what she knows - and what she is good at - gourmet finger foods - she didn't have anything to hang on to.

While it's not a good theme for competition, I think it would be an interesting show premise. Maybe someone else will pick it up.

KHenry14
07-26-2011, 01:57 AM
I've no doubt that Whitney is a nice person, but I've never seen her grab me with her presentation. I just kind of think she's boring, and who's going to watch a pleasant person like Whitney who's just not interesting.

Vic and Jeff, and to a lesser extent Susie, have a watchability factor, and that's crucial to win this contest. Melissa and Aarti both have that, and if you compare Whitney to them, Whitney doesn't measure up.

Jenna
07-26-2011, 02:32 AM
I've no doubt that Whitney is a nice person, but I've never seen her grab me with her presentation. I just kind of think she's boring, and who's going to watch a pleasant person like Whitney who's just not interesting.

Vic and Jeff, and to a lesser extent Susie, have a watchability factor, and that's crucial to win this contest. Melissa and Aarti both have that, and if you compare Whitney to them, Whitney doesn't measure up.

I don't think she's boring, but again, it's just an opinion.

I didn't see Aarti's season, so I can't compare, but I do think Whitney is more watchable than Melissa.

Rex
07-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Well after reading Jyll's FB post, I know at least understand why her POV was so vague - since they discouraged her from focusing on what she knows - and what she is good at - gourmet finger foods - she didn't have anything to hang on to.

While it's not a good theme for competition, I think it would be an interesting show premise. Maybe someone else will pick it up.

If they gave that awful Mary Dolan a show, Jyll or Whitney could have one too. Hell they gave Adam Gertler a show, and I find him useless.

danceronice
07-26-2011, 04:47 AM

I forget Whitney's there. I found Jeff surprisingly engaging, and I like Vic's personality. I might watch them if either of them were to win.

Wow, Jyll's annoying in her facebook. And I don't care why she spells her name like that, it looks stupid and belongs on "Baby's Got a Bad Bad Name". (Death to the extraneous Y.) I would refuse to watch a show named "Jyllicious" anything solely because of the name. As for their journals, bet it's in their contracts that Food Network can publish them. Plus, whether or not Wolfgang Puck should have called her out on it, was it or was it not a badly-done risotto? (Risotto is not dry. The only way anyone would think dry is an option is if they've only ever had the kind that comes in a box next to the Rice-A-Roni.)

Of course, I'm more likely to watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives or anything on the Travel Channel anyway. I can't do procedurals anyway where cooking's concerned.

Matryeshka
07-26-2011, 05:03 AM
I actually liked her better after reading her FB. I think she has the right to be pissed if what she says in her post is true, which I do kind of believe. The way she was portrayed at the beginning, where they did praise her on her humor and naturalness, changed dramatically. They did say her cupcake was a perfect balance of chocolate and citrus.

I think she should have been sent home on the previous challenge instead of Penny, but this week, Vic should have been sent home. Not only did he botch the camera challenge, his food sucked. They all liked her meatloaf, and a lachunga? Really? (Though if he'd added a pound of butter and 16oz of powdered sugar at the end, I bet Paula Deen would have eaten it.)

emason--thanks for the info on Giada. Though I am now more confused than ever on her cooking, as someone born in Rome who later trained at the Courdon Bleu should be a lot better than she actually is.