PDA

View Full Version : Next Food Network Star, Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20

Skittl1321
07-19-2011, 04:08 PM
I disagree. I don't want to waste time or money on a recipe that ends up tasting bad. If I make enough bad recipes from a show, then I'm not watching it anymore.

Do the non-trained chefs write their own recipes at the food network though?

They have a huge behind the scenes kitchen. I don't think for a second that the on-air talent write all the recipes they are cooking, even the trained chefs. They likely "approve" them.

Think of Throwdown- Bobby Flay very clearly depends on two other chefs, even though I have no doubt Flay could develop all those recipes himself, he doesn't have time.

I don't think an on-air talent needs to be able to do everything, because their show will be in the niche.

Scintillation
07-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Well from reading articles about how Sandra Lee's "cook"books are created, she definitely does not write all those recipes herself. A team of people come up with them then she approves them. I tend to think the trained chefs on the show have more input in to the recipes they present on their shows, but I wouldn't be surprised if all of them had at least some background help in coming up with recipe after recipe.

skatesindreams
07-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Thinking about it, I still would have sent Jyll home. She's probably like my friend Erika. Erika is the best baker out of our group of friends. She can make a wedding cake like no one's business, and is pretty good with basic cooking too. However, if you asked her to make something exotic or remotely ethnic, she'd be as clueless as me. She's very good at what she does, but what she does is extremely narrow. I'll bet Jyll's the best cook in her block, but once she's out of that block, she's pretty much out of her league.

^^^
This!

I get the feeling that Jyll's " life experience" has been very limited; and I'm not sure whether she has the ability/desire to stretch beyond her comfort level.
Example: "That's the way my husband likes it".

duane
07-19-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't think Puck meant to be a prick and in his mind, was trying to be helpful. Doesn't excuse him, but I don't think he was trying to be nasty.
Perhaps, but I thought he was trying to be a prick...to have a Simon Cowell moment. Puck is the judge who initially voted for Antonia, but after talking to the bald judge, changed his vote for Mike as a final 2 on 'Top Chef Season 8'. Maybe Puck wanted to show everyone that he's tough.

Reuven
07-20-2011, 12:24 AM
I guess I'm in the minority as I don't think Wolfgang Puck was being a prick. Her risotto demonstrated incredibly poor technique. I don't make risotto myself, but I've had some really excellent ones (including the one at Spago) and even I knew her dish was doomed when she said she likes her risotto dry. I would never watch a show where I know more about technique than the host.

I went to a panel last year that featured several top chefs in LA, including Michelin star winners. One common thread among them was that all of them had worked under either Puck or Joachim Splichal. The man has a proven track record. I hope Jyll was able to look past her mortification long enough to actually learn from one of the masters.Jyll handled it well. But when she said she was making risotto, we both yelled at the TV, “NOOOO!!” Hadn’t she ever watched Top Chef? We knew she was going to blow it, because even top notch chefs can make bad risotto.

Rex
07-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Last night was by far the worst competition this season. They had to bake cupcakes for Ina Garten, then go on Rachael Ray's talk show to cook a meal while interacting with the audience. Jyll and Jeff totally forgot that the audience was even there, and Jeff's savory cupcake I found revolting. Jyll, who should have probably gone home last week, was sent packing last night. Poor girl, no matter how she presented herself, all the judges, Ina and Rach included (at least I think Rachael said something, didn't she?), felt that she was being forced and phony.

Catherine M
07-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the recap Rex, I totally forgot to watch last night.

Jyll going home is no big deal. Surprised that Jeff struggled with the audience part.

icecat
07-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Actually..I think it was "Momma's Boy" Vic that forgot about his audience when he was making that weird Lasagna thing. Jeff was awesome with the audience, even Rachel said he was her favorite with the interaction as "sandwich king" (Pork chop and applesauce)
but I agree..that cupcake was totally gross.:yikes:
I don't really think I'd watch any of them at this point Vic has personality and a great concept but his inconsistency is staggering.

Rex
07-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Actually..I think it was "Momma's Boy" Vic that forgot about his audience when he was making that weird Lasagna thing. Jeff was awesome with the audience, even Rachel said he was her favorite with the interaction as "sandwich king" (Pork chop and applesauce)
I don't really think I'd watch any of them at this point Vic has personality and a great concept but his inconsistency is staggering.

Yes, Vic, you are correct, icecat. He froze up like Emanuel Sandhu :lol: But they were all just horrid. At this point I can't imagine any of them having a show.

emason
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Yes, Vic, you are correct, icecat. He froze up like Emanuel Sandhu :lol: But they were all just horrid. At this point I can't imagine any of them having a show.

I'm really not enjoying this season. I found myself fastforwarding through half the episode last night. I just basically wanted to see who got axed.

Jenna
07-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Whitney is my favorite, followed by Jeff. I want one of those two to win.

Marybeth and Susie are kind of borderline for me, whereas I don't think I would watch Vic.

merrywidow
07-25-2011, 06:04 PM
It's about time they turned Jyll loose. I don't understand how she made it this far. I'm not prepared to count Susie out yet but Jeff & Whitney were both good.

Veronika
07-25-2011, 06:51 PM
It's about time they turned Jyll loose. I don't understand how she made it this far.

Not sure if you'll be able to see this, but here is Jyll's blog on her experience: https://www.facebook.com/notes/jyll-lucas-everman/my-thoughts-on-season-7/10150316772589540

Rex
07-25-2011, 07:31 PM
And what was that "la-changa" thing? :scream:

I'm really not enjoying this season. I found myself fastforwarding through half the episode last night. I just basically wanted to see who got axed.
I'd love to see them, just once, decide NOT to pick a winner because the contestants are all so fecking mediocre.

jeffisjeff
07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Not sure if you'll be able to see this, but here is Jyll's blog on her experience: https://www.facebook.com/notes/jyll-lucas-everman/my-thoughts-on-season-7/10150316772589540

She's just as annoying in writing as she is on TV. :scream: