PDA

View Full Version : Next Food Network Star, Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20

Aceon6
07-18-2011, 07:38 PM
I think they spend so much time on the food to make sure the contestant has some cred coming out of the comp. Right now, they're setting Mary Beth and Jyll up to be food commentators, not cooks. The others are still in it for more traditional shows.

jeffisjeff
07-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Lol at Bobby's" Jesus Christ"

I know! :rofl: And they played it twice - before and after the commercial break.

So glad that Penny is finally gone! :D

I'm guessing Susie, Jeff and Vic will be in the finale. I do not like Jyll or Whitney, but I'd watch Mary Beth. I could see her doing a more upscale version of $40 a Day. Maybe $250 a Day? ;) I think they could use her as a smarter and less annoying version of Samantha Brown (different network, I know).

skatesindreams
07-18-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm guessing Susie, Jeff and Vic will be in the finale. I do not like Jyll or Whitney, but I'd watch Mary Beth.
I could see her doing a more upscale version of $40 a Day. Maybe $250 a Day? ;)

My guesses, as well.

FN needs another knowledgeable "food commentator".
Alton Brown isn't always available.

Aceon6
07-18-2011, 08:38 PM
My guesses, as well.

FN needs another knowledgeable "food commentator".
Alton Brown isn't always available.

And Alton Brown isn't everyone's cuppa

Veronika
07-18-2011, 08:47 PM
I just say "Hungry Girl" for the first time yesterday morning and I was disappointed. I'm all for cooking lighter foods, but her food just looked gross and over-processed.

And I thought the whole fat-free craze was already over? I'm not using fat free sour cream or cheese, the light stuff is just fine and tastes better--and only has a few more calories.

skipaway
07-18-2011, 10:11 PM
I was confused at the panels' criticism of Jyll's behaviour after being called out by Puck (who IMHO acted like a prick). The panel felt Jyll should have been what, crying her eyes out in front of the camera or getting mad and emotional? I think she handled herself with grace and dignity after being humiliated on national TV.

Veronika
07-18-2011, 11:52 PM
I was confused at the panels' criticism of Jyll's behaviour after being called out by Puck (who IMHO acted like a prick). The panel felt Jyll should have been what, crying her eyes out in front of the camera or getting mad and emotional? I think she handled herself with grace and dignity after being humiliated on national TV.

I agree--and I think if she had broken down, they would've criticized her for that. She was in a no-win situation.

duane
07-19-2011, 12:02 AM
I think mostly everyone--including the panel--thought Puck was acting like a prick, and instead of just smiling and agreeing when Puck said he was going to show her how to make risotto, wish Jyll had been more assertive...perhaps tell Puck that she'll take verbal criticism of her dish, but will respectfully decline his, uh, offer of a cooking lesson.

emason
07-19-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm not using fat free sour cream or cheese, the light stuff is just fine and tastes better--and only has a few more calories.

The light version also doesn't break down and curdle when you add heat to it. Fat free sour cream is utterly useless as far as I can tell.

AnnM
07-19-2011, 12:34 AM
I guess I'm in the minority as I don't think Wolfgang Puck was being a prick. Her risotto demonstrated incredibly poor technique. I don't make risotto myself, but I've had some really excellent ones (including the one at Spago) and even I knew her dish was doomed when she said she likes her risotto dry. I would never watch a show where I know more about technique than the host.

I went to a panel last year that featured several top chefs in LA, including Michelin star winners. One common thread among them was that all of them had worked under either Puck or Joachim Splichal. The man has a proven track record. I hope Jyll was able to look past her mortification long enough to actually learn from one of the masters.

emason
07-19-2011, 12:37 AM
I guess I'm in the minority as I don't think Wolfgang Puck was being a prick. Her risotto demonstrated incredibly poor technique. I don't make risotto myself, but I've had some really excellent ones (including the one at Spago) and even I knew her dish was doomed when she said she likes her risotto dry. I would never watch a show where I know more about technique than the host.

Make it a minority of two then; I thought Puck acted appropriately. Jyll made wallpaper paste, not a risotto, and Puck was right to call her on it.

AnnM
07-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Have you seen Sandra Lee and HungryGirl? There are lots of things to make that aren't risotto!

-----
I think this show places way too much emphasis on how the food tastes. As a TV viewer, I can't taste it. If they make food that looks good, and can speak knowledgeably about it- that is what should matter most.

I disagree. I don't want to waste time or money on a recipe that ends up tasting bad. If I make enough bad recipes from a show, then I'm not watching it anymore.

Matryeshka
07-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Puck showing her how to make that risotto probably saved her from elimination. Bobby looked so affronted by Puck's actions, it ultimately worked in her favor.

I don't know if it was poor technique or just not knowing. Poor technique implies you know how to do it, you just don't do it well. I don't think that was the case with Jyll--I really don't think she knew how to do it at all and had probably never had real risotto besides what you get out of a box. :yikes: She probably didn't realize that riostto doesn't mean rice with stuff but refers to a specific cooking technique (thanks Mike from TC). If you don't use that technique, you can't refer to it as a risotto.

I think that's why Puck did what he did--he realized she didn't know what risotto actually was, and if she did know, the dish would have been better.

(Though I do think Mary Beth did try to tell her--she came up and asked her about it, and Jyll's reply was, oh, that's how my husband and I like it. So someone did try to warn her.)

I wouldn't have a problem with what Puck did if they did that with every chef that messes up, for example, every show, they pick a cheftestant that wasn't eliminated but was in the bottom and said, "this is the proper way to do this dish. Learn or Bobby will yell at you." I don't think Puck meant to be a prick and in his mind, was trying to be helpful. Doesn't excuse him, but I don't think he was trying to be nasty.

Thinking about it, I still would have sent Jyll home. She's probably like my friend Erika. Erika is the best baker out of our group of friends. She can make a wedding cake like no one's business, and is pretty good with basic cooking too. However, if you asked her to make something exotic or remotely ethnic, she'd be as clueless as me. She's very good at what she does, but what she does is extremely narrow. I'll bet Jyll's the best cook in her block, but once she's out of that block, she's pretty much out of her league.

Scintillation
07-19-2011, 04:54 AM
I see what you're saying, but I kind of disagree. I used to love to watch Giada because she's low key and her mannerisms aren't as over the top as most FN stars.

Then I made the mistake of trying her recipes, and none of them came out or they were exceedingly bland. I had the same experience with her cookbook, and my friends that cook had similar results. Even a lot of her good reviews on FN have some qualifying remarks--it was good, but I used X instead of Y, took out R and added Q, etc. After that, I can't watch her show and I can't take her seriously as a judge on this show because I know she's just not that good. On the flip side, I used to hate Anne Burrell? (Secrets of a Restaurant Chef) but I did use her recipe for gnocchi and it came out sooo goooood, I do watch her show now.
I consider Giada's recipes to be good bases for better ones. IMO she never adds enough spice/garlic/flavor, so I almost always double what she recommends in the flavoring department. I feel like she's cooking for midwestern grandmas sometimes. Basic but bland.
I still need to watch the episode, but I am SO HAPPY to hear that Penny is gone!!! :cheer:

Andrushka
07-19-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't think Puck was a prick at all in showing her the right way to do it.

on the other hand...PENNY IS GONE! **HAPPY DANCE** Sorry,she was just so,so so so annoying.