PDA

View Full Version : Next Food Network Star, Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Matryeshka
07-18-2011, 02:57 AM
I loved Bobby "flaying" Chris. And his eye roll at Wolfgang Puck. He looks like he is so done with this season. Based on some of his comments, I wonder how much control he actually has to send people home versus the annoying producer duo. I get the feeling had he been in charge, Chris would have gone home a long time ago, and so would Mary Beth.

Penny has improved somewhat during this episode--I wonder if Jyll's, Mary Beth's, and the selection committee's comments sunk in a bit. She and Mary Beth looked like they were having a great time shopping, which btw, should have been taken into consideration. The judges commented on how much they liked the decor, and they had to have less time to cook.

Rex
07-18-2011, 03:00 AM
Great episode for Whitney. Didn't think she had it in her.

Please, please let both Penny and Chris go home!! Be careful what you wish for :).

I'm glad Penny got sent home.....sorry about Chris, but that is the way it goes....but that hag Penny is GONE, and I am happy.

Allen
07-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Hooray! :cheer: No more Penny :cheer:

Catherine M
07-18-2011, 03:10 AM
I'm shocked that Penny is gone. Thought for sure they'd keep her around till the end.

Still think Vic is the best bet for a "star" out of the ones left.

peibeck
07-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Chris was cute, but he should have been gone weeks ago. :shuffle:

Jill really dodged a bullet. I'm sure Penny didn't intend to take it for her... oh well. :EVILLE:

Matryeshka
07-18-2011, 03:15 AM
I'm sort of shocked Penny is gone too, just because in terms of food production, she's the one whose food has been the most consistently praised. I wish there was a way to get her recipes without having to watch her. :lol: I'm glad Chris has gone--that's the second time the cake has been a whopping failure. I was a wee bit sympathetic about the oven, but you know, there are plenty of desserts you can make that do not involve baking.

As for whining about getting dessert and not liking dessert, just about every show on FN has come to the point where they put out a complete meal on every episode. It doesn't always include a dessert, but probably at least every other show. Did he really think if he won, he'd never have to make a dessert? :huh: I have the same complaint with TC cheftestants--you know you're going to have to cook a dessert, so you'd best learn some before you get there.

all_empty
07-18-2011, 09:11 AM
I think Jeff and Susie are the frontrunners. Susie is very likeable and her POV has been consistent, but they already have that "Mexican Made Easy" girl.

I think sandwiches are making a comeback. After years of carb-phobia, consumers are looking for easy-to-prepare comfort foods, especially in a recession.

Glad Penny is gone but her food always looked very good. I would totally eat at her restaurant. Like Susie, her POV was very consistent, so you have to give her credit there.

There's something actually appealing about Mary Beth, but she really needs to up her food.

Chris should've gone home before Orchid, but Orchid was floundering. She reminded me of Debbie from a few seasons ago (Asian with Southern flair) but had Aarti's warmth. Had she progressed, I still don't think she would've won because she's too similar to Aarti personality-wise and they have plenty of Southern food chefs.

I'm torn on Vic. I think his food has been solid, but I'm not buying all the changing POVs. I prefer his Vegas POV over momma's boy. Jyl is likeable, but I don't see her winning. Ditto with Whitney.

BTW, I had the chance to interview Bob Tucshman a few weeks ago, but we missed each other. I might have another opportunity, and will let you know in case you want to ask questions.

Aceon6
07-18-2011, 03:13 PM
BTW, I had the chance to interview Bob Tucshman a few weeks ago, but we missed each other. I might have another opportunity, and will let you know in case you want to ask questions.

I'd love to know if Bob thinks that Penny looked happier in person. IMO, the TV cameras did her no favors.

skatesindreams
07-18-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm surprised; and pleased, to see Penny go.
Chris should have left weeks ago.

Jyll handled herself well after being "called out" by Puck.
It's the only reason she's still there.
She really didn't know how to make a risotto; so I wonder if she has the necessary skillset for the network.
I don't think so.

I have no idea who will win.
Even the "favorites" have issues.
I wonder how much input Bobby has, also.

Skittl1321
07-18-2011, 06:09 PM
She really didn't know how to make a risotto; so I wonder if she has the necessary skillset for the network.
I don't think so.

Have you seen Sandra Lee and HungryGirl? There are lots of things to make that aren't risotto!

-----
I think this show places way too much emphasis on how the food tastes. As a TV viewer, I can't taste it. If they make food that looks good, and can speak knowledgeably about it- that is what should matter most.

Tesla
07-18-2011, 06:16 PM
I think this show places way too much emphasis on how the food tastes. As a TV viewer, I can't taste it. If they make food that looks good, and can speak knowledgeably about it- that is what should matter most.

Actually, I think it places too much emphasis on personal stories. While they are interesting, I really don't care care if every recipe has a sob story. I agree that they need to make the food look and sound good.

Skittl1321
07-18-2011, 06:30 PM
I agree with you- the sob story/ my mom used to make this routine is getting old.

(As is every spicy/outrageous/DDD/etc food show telling me how hot ghost chili's are. I get it!)

Matryeshka
07-18-2011, 06:32 PM

I see what you're saying, but I kind of disagree. I used to love to watch Giada because she's low key and her mannerisms aren't as over the top as most FN stars.

Then I made the mistake of trying her recipes, and none of them came out or they were exceedingly bland. I had the same experience with her cookbook, and my friends that cook had similar results. Even a lot of her good reviews on FN have some qualifying remarks--it was good, but I used X instead of Y, took out R and added Q, etc. After that, I can't watch her show and I can't take her seriously as a judge on this show because I know she's just not that good. On the flip side, I used to hate Anne Burrell? (Secrets of a Restaurant Chef) but I did use her recipe for gnocchi and it came out sooo goooood, I do watch her show now.

skatesindreams
07-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Have you seen Sandra Lee and HungryGirl? There are lots of things to make that aren't risotto!

"Hungry Girl" and Sandy's dreadful show have their specific audiences, I'm sure.
I have enough culinary experience to tell whether a dish has a good flavor profile, appeals to me; and whether I will want to try the recipe, even if I can't taste it.
I also expect competent skills; with a camera presence that engages me.

caseyedwards
07-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Lol at Bobby's" Jesus Christ"