PDA

View Full Version : Next Food Network Star, Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

emason
07-13-2011, 04:44 AM
My list is:

1) Vic
2) Jeff
3) Penny, if and only if, the selection committee can get across to her that she needs to play nice in the sandbox. I'm putting her at 3 because I love Middle Eastern cuisine and would watch a good show featuring it.

Big Gap to everyone else. Don't care about the order for the rest except for Chris, who I would put dead last. Cannot stand him and would not watch him for 5 minutes. Don't like the others particularly, but don't loathe them the way I do Chris.

Jenna
07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I think Penny could make the "Middle Eastern momma" thing work very well if she just wouldn't be so confrontational. Her food is always well received by the judges and it's an area of cuisine I am not familiar with so I wouldn't mind watching an informative show about it.

Skittl1321
07-13-2011, 01:01 PM
For me, it's too late for Penny to redeem herself (and I feel a redemption arc coming...)

I will not watch her show, no matter how she presents herself on it, because I know she is a nasty person.

danceronice
07-13-2011, 07:58 PM
My list is:

1) Vic
2) Jeff
3) Penny, if and only if, the selection committee can get across to her that she needs to play nice in the sandbox. I'm putting her at 3 because I love Middle Eastern cuisine and would watch a good show featuring it.

Big Gap to everyone else. Don't care about the order for the rest except for Chris, who I would put dead last. Cannot stand him and would not watch him for 5 minutes. Don't like the others particularly, but don't loathe them the way I do Chris.

This, except I'd probably just have everyone else besides the top three in an equally-unwatchable lump, as Chris is moderately annoying but the rest are just nonentities.

Rex
07-13-2011, 08:26 PM
:rofl: you are amazing, Rex! Thumbs up!

*Rex bows* :encore:

I totally see Mary Beth with her own show whether she wins or not. Although I cannot imagine where they'd put her in the FN lineup. Maybe to replace Robin Miller. I liked Robin; she made decent meals for the home cook. And I don't know why they never renewed her show, but Mary Beth would be a good replacement.

KHenry14
07-13-2011, 09:28 PM
IMO, Whitney, Jeff, Chris and Penny have no chance of ever getting a show on any network. Mary Beth, Jyll and Susie could win, but they could also host shows on their own. Vic is different, in that he's a "personality" who can also cook, sort of like Guy Fieri in that regard. That gives him an advantage.

Rex
07-14-2011, 02:14 AM
Vic is different, in that he's a "personality" who can also cook, sort of like Guy Fieri in that regard. That gives him an advantage. And much more photogenic and easier on the eyes than the giant neon tater tot that is Guy Fieri..

Matryeshka
07-14-2011, 02:46 AM
*Rex bows* :encore:

I totally see Mary Beth with her own show whether she wins or not. Although I cannot imagine where they'd put her in the FN lineup. Maybe to replace Robin Miller. I liked Robin; she made decent meals for the home cook. And I don't know why they never renewed her show, but Mary Beth would be a good replacement.

It's not like FN is really big on variety. I find a lot of what the chefs cook to be pretty interchangeable. I can only guess most viewers want the same type of show over and over. Don't really know why we need to see Ina bake the same chicken for Jeffery over and over, and then watch Melissa D'Arabian, Giada, Robin, Satandra, etc. do a slight variation on the same damn chicken for their perspective husbands/friends. I'm sure whatever the cheftestants original ideas for a show is, FN will turn it into a clone of the others too.

I sometimes feel like everything they do on there, if I had the inclination, I could do some facsimilie of the same dish. There are very few chefs left on the food TV that truly elevate and inspire me to want to debone a chicken or chop fennel or whatever. I also feel that some of the other chefs have gone too far in the other direction to make up for it--Alton Brown is practically unwatchable now. He spent three days--THREE DAYS--on a grilled steak!

So glad I have The Cooking Channel--if you want culinary inspiration, that's the place to get it.

Rex
07-14-2011, 02:49 AM
It's not like FN is really big on variety. I find a lot of what the chefs cook to be pretty interchangeable. I can only guess most viewers want the same type of show over and over. Don't really know why we need to see Ina bake the same chicken for Jeffery over and over, and then watch Melissa D'Arabian, Giada, Robin, Satandra, etc. do a slight variation on the same damn chicken for their perspective husbands/friends. I'm sure whatever the cheftestants original ideas for a show is, FN will turn it into a clone of the others too.

I sometimes feel like everything they do on there, if I had the inclination, I could do some facsimilie of the same dish. There are very few chefs left on the food TV that truly elevate and inspire me to want to debone a chicken or chop fennel or whatever. I also feel that some of the other chefs have gone too far in the other direction to make up for it--Alton Brown is practically unwatchable now. He spent three days--THREE DAYS--on a grilled steak!

So glad I have The Cooking Channel--if you want culinary inspiration, that's the place to get it.

AND the Cooking Channel is owned by the same people who own the Food Network!!! Sometimes they run shows from FN...

skatesindreams
07-14-2011, 03:45 PM
And much more photogenic and easier on the eyes than the giant neon tater tot that is Guy Fieri..

What makes him watchable is, that despite his persona/image, he really is a trained chef; and good food - of whatever type - matters to him

danceronice
07-14-2011, 05:10 PM
What makes him watchable is, that despite his persona/image, he really is a trained chef; and good food - of whatever type - matters to him

When I watch Vic on NFNS, I have seen foods that I really want to eat. (Those cream puffs he did? OMG, cravings.) And his personality is BIG, but not grating. Guy I see mostly on his show where he DOESN'T cook, but he has that same thing--big personality but not really obnoxious.

Penny...her angle could be interesting, but her 'game-show' personality is just really off-putting. (Odd, because I wouldn't have any problem say, buying clothes from Wendy Pepper despite her being a gameplayer on PR, though in fairness she designs for the M'burg/DC set and not NYC waifs, so I'm in her demo. But Penny just seems...not only a game-player but a really DUMB one. I'd have a hard time getting past that watching her do a show.)

skatesindreams
07-14-2011, 05:20 PM
I was referring to Guy Fieri, in the above post.
I believe that Vic may get a show on FN; but, I don't think he'll win the competition.

merrywidow
07-14-2011, 06:50 PM
At this stage of the competition I think Vic & Susie are the front runners. I doubt if I would watch anyone else's show.

Matryeshka
07-18-2011, 02:23 AM
Is anyone watching? Whitney is coming on like gangbusters, and if her giving Chris the dessert dish causes him to go home, I will watch her show for at least six weeks out of thanks if she wins.

Catherine M
07-18-2011, 02:52 AM
Great episode for Whitney. Didn't think she had it in her.

Please, please let both Penny and Chris go home!!