PDA

View Full Version : So it seems we have mice...now what?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

FigureSpins
06-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Start by going around the outside of the house with a bundle of steel wool, plugging every crack with the steel wool. Use a putty knife or a screwdriver to get it into the spots. Don't bother mixing the caulking in with it - it's useless. I suspect the person who suggested that caulked over their steel wool spots to hide the openings, but mice will gnaw through the caulking. Not so with the steel wool.

Now that you've secured the perimeter, catch the mouse. I know mice are pests, but glue traps are cruel, imo. I'm not a huge PETA person, but if you don't put the stuck mouse out of its misery, it will die of dehydration and starvation.

Having lived for 40+ years in houses built before the Depression means occasional pesty visitors, especially when a bad winter is coming, unless you can keep them out. Well-fed cats think of the mice as playthings and usually let them go without killing them. (I couldn't believe my cat just smacked the mouse around and them let it scamper back down the radiator pipe opening to the crawl space.)

We own a Have-a-heart trap and have used peanut butter as bait the few times a mouse got into the house or garage. Works like a charm and not cruel at all.
Along the walls does work best.

In true NY fashion, we take the trapped mouse "for a ride," usually to a park to let it go instead of for a swim in the East River.

JamesC
06-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Just a thought, but perhaps you would like to actually get to know other posters here, rather than passing blanket judgement on them based on their perhaps off the cuff comments in ONE thread...Especially a person who has been here 6 1/2 years and has contributed a lot of meaningful and insightful comments to this board on a wider variety of subjects than simply pest control.

Or, remain a judgemental twatwaffle who jumps to conclusions and judges people on 5 words. And learn to use your ignore feature; a suggestion I would not be surprised to learn that many will be re-evaluating for their own sanity soon enough.

It's not just on "5 words" though. The person admitted to torturing an animal and not caring that it suffers. That is enough to go by, as people are judged by their actions. No decent human talks about torturing an animal to death, then being so callous and heartless to say that they "don't care" that it suffers. Disgusting mentality and the person should be blasted for it. :|

Don't give a damn if this person won "post of the month" X times, he's still a cruel twat. The number of posts and how long the person's been here doesn't change his comments, actions or attitude.

Japanfan
06-08-2011, 10:25 AM
The presence of mice in your home does not mean you are a dirty person - if mice find a way in, they'll come in. Most kitchens have a food smells and if you give me someone who never has any food or drink particles under their stove or fridge or never carelessly leaves a few bread crumbs on the kitchen table overnight - well, that person has way more serious problems than mice in their kitchen.

We live in an old house and have had mice issues on and off for years. There are two suites, one up and one down, and the mice have mostly been an issue downstairs, where two good feline mousers have kept them under control.

We had them upstairs for a while recently, and our cat and dog were both on mouse duty. They got two each before we eliminated the problem by blocking all the right holes. Or, we've eliminated it so far. . .perhaps they will be back.

The dog would spend hours on the look-out for mice in the kitchen and even those it was some months ago, poor :dog: is still on mouse duty.

JamesC
06-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Mice also seek shelter from the cold, so even if your house is spotless they still might come in for the warmth.

Cheylana
06-10-2011, 01:16 AM
In case it hasn't been posted, here's a NY Times article with some suggestions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/garden/battling-moths-and-mice-in-your-home-the-pragmatist.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

If all else fails, you could invest in a snake :cool:

Rex
06-10-2011, 02:13 AM
In case it hasn't been posted, here's a NY Times article with some suggestions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/garden/battling-moths-and-mice-in-your-home-the-pragmatist.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

If all else fails, you could invest in a snake :cool:

I don't mind snakes so much. I know they skeeve some people out, but better a snake than a stinky, gross rodent.

I think I'm gonna look for a little mouse guillotine on Ebay........or maybe a rack :P.

Cheylana
06-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Actually, the rack would be more useful, you could use it to get the mouse to confess the whereabouts of his little friends.... :EVILLE:

Satellitegirl
06-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Also the other mice could come by and throw things at that mouse, for the times when that mouse got to the crumb first.

Anita18
06-10-2011, 06:14 AM
I don't mind snakes so much. I know they skeeve some people out, but better a snake than a stinky, gross rodent.

I think I'm gonna look for a little mouse guillotine on Ebay........or maybe a rack :P.
Would depend on the snake. My sister shared a house one summer with a 6-foot free-roaming boa constrictor. (It was in SF, of course hippies don't keep their pets in cages. :P ) It did eat mice, but frozen ones they had to thaw out for it. It would be too slow to catch a live one.

It would also necessitate leaving the snake free-roaming in your house, which also presents the possibility that it might leave on its own as well. :P

madm
06-10-2011, 07:55 AM
We live near open grass fields and the mice come into the house as soon as cold fall temperatures happen. We've tried many methods to control the mice (kill and live traps, D-con, steel wool plugging up holes). Since there are usually 10 mice hidden for every 1 you see, and because they reproduce like crazy, the only reliable way to get rid of them for good is to hide D-con all over the house. The dead mice will stink badly (since they die in places hard to find them) for about 5 days, but you will be rid of them for a very long time. I sometimes put the D-con out when we are going away on a long trip and then the smell is no issue. We have had mice invasions for over 30 years in our house, and I can say that we haven't had problems for the past 3 years because I just leave the D-con in a few hidden places (e.g. under the kitchen sink), and the population can never get established in the house.

The way D-con works is that it makes the rodents bleed internally. Since mice are one of the few mammals that cannot vomit the stuff up, they bleed to death. While the D-con is harmful to other pets, dogs and cats can vomit the stuff up and usually don't die from it but may get pretty ill. You should put the D-con containers in hard to reach places like behind the stove or inside a closet.

Rex
06-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Actually, the rack would be more useful, you could use it to get the mouse to confess the whereabouts of his little friends.... :EVILLE: :rofl:

Also the other mice could come by and throw things at that mouse, for the times when that mouse got to the crumb first. :rofl:x2

Vee huff VAYZ UF MAKING U SQUEAK>............:EVILLE:

Stefanie
06-13-2011, 03:11 PM
I suspect I have a mouse. This would be the first one I've encountered since I've lived here (just over a year). Just when I think I've gotten over the fear of living alone, something like this has to happen and set me back 20 steps. :lol: And I'm having a party on Saturday and now I've got to worry about a mouse. Or should I cancel the party? Ugh, I really miss living with my parents and have my dad deal with this kind of stuff. But I have to grow up and deal with it. No food on the countertop (which is where I found what I think are droppings). I do have a pantry, but if you can't keep food in there to ward off mice then what's the point of having one? I hope I can get rid of it before the party on Saturday. I just am so afraid to see a living one, let alone a dead one that I'll have to dispose of.

Norlite
06-13-2011, 03:16 PM
The snap traps are so cheap and if it's a little mouse, big enough so you really don't need to touch or even get very close to the dead mouse.

Just look through glazed eyes for the other end of the trap, pick up the whole thing and toss it in the trash. Outside preferably.

FigureSpins
06-13-2011, 03:36 PM
The snap traps are so cheap and if it's a little mouse, big enough so you really don't need to touch or even get very close to the dead mouse.

Just look through glazed eyes for the other end of the trap, pick up the whole thing and toss it in the trash. Outside preferably.
Or use a spatula from the dollar store. (My mother used snap traps and that was her way of removing the corpse and trap.)

Friends of mine recommended putting the trap inside a paper bag set on its side.
Once the trap was tripped, they just tossed the bag out, mouse, trap and all.

Stefanie
06-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Or use a spatula from the dollar store. (My mother used snap traps and that was her way of removing the corpse and trap.)

Friends of mine recommended putting the trap inside a paper bag set on its side.
Once the trap was tripped, they just tossed the bag out, mouse, trap and all.

Both are good ideas! Thank you.