PDA

View Full Version : So it seems we have mice...now what?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

aka_gerbil
06-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Legal issues aside, I find it's always best to offer to share the cost. The landlord "owns" the spots where they're getting in, but the tenant "owns" the things that are attracting them.

Unless it's your neighbors. One year when I was in grad school, we had the filthiest neighbors ever. They were awful. They had all sorts of gross trash and other things, like dog food, piled up on their patio. Our apartment complex wasn't that far away from a field on the edge of town. Mice got in the neighbors apartment, then chewed in through the adjoining wall (behind our dishwasher).

My roommate and I ended up taking care of things ourselves after the complex made a half-way attempt to get rid of the critters. We used lots of mouse traps, which my roommate had to empty as I'm terrified of mice and rats, and my favorite old standby, Havoc. It's what my dad has used on our family farm for years. I had to go out-of-town to a feed store to get it, but it was worth the trip. We also stuffed up the holes we could find with steel wool and caulk.

When my sister moves into a new place, she has an exterminator come and mouse-proof it. So far, she's had a lot of luck with keeping the critters out.

Rex
06-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I think I will have my landlord come and stick Brillo pads in the openings in my floors. Mice get in underneath my electric stove and the big bunch of wires in my closet that lead to the apartment below. They hate Brillo pads because it cuts up their gums when they gnaw on them. Of course, they have to be changed every year, and I think the last time they put some down was back in 2009.

Has anyone had any success with those electronic repellants that you plug into sockets? Supposedly it releases high-pitched noises only mice can hear and it keeps them out of your house.

JamesC
06-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Seems like there’s a couple of sickos in this thread. Duct taping mice while they’re struggling for life on a glue trap? What the hell? Sick bastards. I have nothing against killing mice, but you don’t have to be cruel to them, or torture them like that. Doesn’t matter if you hate them, doesn’t matter if they’re “vermin” – they’re still living beings that can feel pain. That ought to be respected.

The complete callousness and lack of total regard for life sickens me. Don’t be a douche and at least kill them as painlessly as possible, instead of discarding them like a burger wrapper. They’re not inanimate objects, and for those who partake in such disgusting behaviour better hope karma doesn’t bite them back on the ass.

And quite frankly, glue traps are ridiculous. They’re no more effective than all the other traps on the market, have their practical drawbacks (which I will go into detail if I must), and they are shockingly cruel to the extent that a lot of countries have banned them. In fact, I am surprised they are still available to the general public – something so deliberately diabolical should not be allowed.

I have no problem with them at all. I just put them in a paper bag and then pitch them out in the trash.

Of course you don’t have a problem with them.

You openly partake in and condone abusing animals. Yeah, you heard me… I’m calling your action here animal abuse, because that’s exactly what it is. Instead of killing the creature humanely like any reasonable human being should, you decide to prolong its suffering. Animals caught on glue traps will panic to the extent that they’ll skin themselves alive and gnaw their legs off to escape, or starve to death. They’ll be on there for a long time, in total agony, while you throw them away like a burger wrapper (that’s what offends me, not the killing of mice itself).

Worst of all, seems like you’re drawing out their suffering intentionally. What the **** is wrong with you? :/

You’re torturing them, that’s all there is to it. You’ve no excuses for it, there’s no reason to do it. (inb4 “but but they’re icky and have diseases” and “but there are kids starving in Africa” excuses to justify pointless animal cruelty)

I use regular traps and glue traps and could care less how much the little bastards suffer.

Speaks volumes of you. And it’s “couldn’t care less”. If you’re going to be evil about disposing other animals, at least use the correct terms. Throwing it into the bin as it slowly dies in agony is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. No words can describe how cowardly and pathetic that is.

Quite sad how low some people will go. Kill them, don’t torture them, ya sicko. I for one would delight in seeing these disgusting glue traps illegal, because it seems that some people who use them are closet sociopaths or people with little moral values. Well, that’s no surprise if they don’t mind chucking living mammals in the bin, while it gnaws its legs off, skins itself alive and starves to death! Yeah, real nice.

It’s disappointing that I am the only one so far to speak up against your actions as they totally disgusted me. Causing pain to something isn’t an issue you should take lightly, it should be done respectfully. There are more humane ways to kill/be rid of animals, so there is absolutely no excuse to treat the animal as you did. No self-respectable pest control operator or wildlife controller is going to condone your actions, neither is anyone with a conscience.

PS. Not a vegetarian and eat meat, and have probably killed more mice than you. But there’s a HUGE distinction between humanely ridding of something and intentionally making it suffer. Recognise the fact that mice are mammals, they feel pain too – and prolonged torture to an animal is wrong, no matter the arbitrary status you put on the animal. Seek help you sadist before this behaviour manifests into something worse. Your new partner can join you too, duct taping mice on traps is disturbing and is what a psychopath would do.

Monster.

JamesC
06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
And for the record, I'm not going to bag people for using glue traps if that is all that works, even though I despise them and think they shouldn't be used. However, what one does with an already caught animal on them is another question. If someone is going to do horrible things to a helpless, trapped animal then that pretty much sums up their personality to me.

Deliberately drawing out a creature's pain is a low act. I do not understand what compels people to do such things - it's at your mercy, you want it dead, just kill it. Don't let it suffer more than it has to, it's probably suffered enough being stuck in super glue in the first place.

Rex
06-06-2011, 03:27 PM
And for the record, I'm not going to bag people for using glue traps if that is all that works, even though I despise them and think they shouldn't be used. However, what one does with an already caught animal on them is another question. If someone is going to do horrible things to a helpless, trapped animal then that pretty much sums up their personality to me.

Deliberately drawing out a creature's pain is a low act. I do not understand what compels people to do such things - it's at your mercy, you want it dead, just kill it. Don't let it suffer more than it has to, it's probably suffered enough being stuck in super glue in the first place.

You're a sanctimonious twat.
Why don't you just open up a halfway house for mice if you feel so strongly about it? They are PESTS, and I don't have to feel sorry for them.

Nan
06-06-2011, 03:44 PM
(snip)
Monster.

A little too much caffiene this morning, James?

PrincessLeppard
06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I do have to agree with James, though not as stridently. ;) There are humane ways to get rid of mice and other pests.

Satellitegirl
06-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Rex, they're just animals. They don't deserve to be treated cruel...they were just born that way(to quote Gaga lol) and are doing what they know how to do. It's not some vendetta to be vermin and take over the world. :P

And I think if someone uses glue traps they should have the balls to kill the animal when they find it, and put it out of it's misery, otherwise they're no better than the vermin.

Plenty of humans are vermin too, although we judge them based on their actions, and not just for existing, like so many choose to do with animals.

And well said, PrincessLeppard.

Rex
06-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Rex, they're just animals. They don't deserve to be treated cruel...they were just born that way(to quote Gaga lol) and are doing what they know how to do. It's not some vendetta to be vermin and take over the world. :P

And I think if someone uses glue traps they should have the balls to kill the animal when they find it, and put it out of it's misery, otherwise they're no better than the vermin.

Plenty of humans are vermin too, although we judge them based on their actions, and not just for existing, like so many choose to do with animals.

And well said, PrincessLeppard.
They are usually dead by the time I find them on the traps anyway. But I cannot feel bad about animals that I feel are pests. And yes, they do carry disease and they are filthy. And I certainly don't compare them to humans (although there are a few humans in this world I wouldn't mind trapping in a mouse trap). Satellitegirl and Princess, we'll agree to disagree. To each his own.

Satellitegirl
06-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Nothing wrong with live traps, either. Catch em...take em to the park...let em go. I'm sure if nothing else, a hawk will appreciate the meal.

Rex
06-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Nothing wrong with live traps, either. Catch em...take em to the park...let em go. I'm sure if nothing else, a hawk will appreciate the meal.
Most likely the rats will eat them.

PrincessLeppard
06-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Well, food chain and all that.

I used to have pet rats. They are awesome. I think of mice as their smaller, somewhat less awesome cousins. :)

Badams
06-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I've been known to save a mouse from my cats on occasion...although with 3 cats, I don't see many. I haven't had a mouse in my house since I lived next to a farm. While I agree with James in concept, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be as nasty and harsh about it.

lise
06-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Hmmm .. does he deal in mice? Could you ask him how he would proceed if called to a house where someone saw a mouse and has evidenice (visible mouse poops) of mice so I can compare that to what a local company will tell me/what they do? I tend to attract poor service (i.e., get ripped off no matter the circumstance) whenever I hire ANYONE because I am so clueless about everything. I have a big flashing sign that says "sucker" over my head and boy have I been taken advantage of because of it. :( I'd like to hear what a pro would do so I know what to ask and look for.

My husband said that any good exterminator will conduct an inspection of the property; they want to see where they are coming in from. They will block the hole and set up bait. Most use these blocks that mice eat and then once they eat, they die within 3 days. Most likely if you have droppings; that is one area that they are nesting in. It never is just one; one one is in, guaranteed others are nearby. With the blocks, some will also place glue traps in strategic places so increase the chance of catching the mouse.

His major tip for the kitchen area is to take the garbage outside every night; leave your countertops clean and free of food. Things like rice, sugar should be in airtight containers.

When dealing with exterminators, ask them for references; how long they've dealt with this type of problem and interview several. Ask neighbors, friends ect for the best person as some are great at the job, others are not. Look for someone who cares about the quality of work he/she completes. Those who care may cost a bit more but so worth it.

Anita18
06-06-2011, 09:32 PM
His major tip for the kitchen area is to take the garbage outside every night; leave your countertops clean and free of food. Things like rice, sugar should be in airtight containers.
We've done that and so far so good. We also make sure there's no cat food left out at night. The cat is a little irritated, but if he's hungry he's welcome to go catch a mouse. :P