PDA

View Full Version : So it seems we have mice...now what?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Aceon6
06-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Not sure of your lease agreement but I wouldn't put too much time or money into this. Your landlord should be taking care of it.

Legal issues aside, I find it's always best to offer to share the cost. The landlord "owns" the spots where they're getting in, but the tenant "owns" the things that are attracting them.

nerdycool
06-05-2011, 04:39 PM
We had a small mouse problem last year, and at first, we bought the humane traps. We caught one and released it about a mile away. But then it seems we caught a desperate mouse who literally chewed through the hard plastic to set itself free. After it ate all the peanut butter of course. So now we use the d-con no view, no touch kill traps and they seem to work pretty well.

Satellitegirl
06-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I second or third or whatever the "don't use glue traps" bit. That's horrible. A mouse is just an animal. Get rid of them quickly with a nice snap at the neck trap. The mouse doesn't know what hit them usually.

Cheylana
06-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Glue traps are gross. I kept accidentally stepping on them and ruining my socks. Eventually I ended up moving out....

Gazpacho
06-05-2011, 09:56 PM
But then it seems we caught a desperate mouse who literally chewed through the hard plastic to set itself free.:eek: Honestly, if a mouse is that determined to live, I'd probably take pity on the creature and let him live, but after catching him and immediately setting him free far away, before he can chew through the plastic.

With humane mouse traps, you have to check them often. Also, leaving a trail of food helps.

I've heard that you should put the traps along a wall or corner. I didn't know that when I set my traps and caught a mouse anyway, but I believe mice like walls and corners.

DarrellH
06-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Open a theme park?

Anita18
06-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Legal issues aside, I find it's always best to offer to share the cost. The landlord "owns" the spots where they're getting in, but the tenant "owns" the things that are attracting them.
Definitely. I don't think we would have attracted them if my bf hadn't insisted on being such a slob when it comes to food storage. I'm almost glad for it so now I have ammo as to why he should do things the way I want. :D

Yeah, I second or third or whatever the "don't use glue traps" bit. That's horrible. A mouse is just an animal. Get rid of them quickly with a nice snap at the neck trap. The mouse doesn't know what hit them usually.
We definitely won't be using them. My aunt used them and we saw a mouse run over one without getting caught. We would also catch more spiders and centipedes than mice. :lol: I also heard from my cousin that he saw one kill itself by ripping off a limb trying to escape. :( (Thank God I wasn't there to see that. :yikes: )

My coworker had a rat problem and she refused to have them killed. (Somewhat related, she's vegan.) But when your pests are getting to be bigger than your dog (albeit the dog in question is a teeny Yorkie), simple traps won't be enough! She definitely had huge holes behind her stove and water heater where they were getting in and her landlady never did get that fixed. I would definitely move if it got that bad!

Rex
06-06-2011, 02:31 AM
Glue traps are the worst for everyone. .
They aren't bad for me.....I have no problem with them at all. I just put them in a paper bag and then pitch them out in the trash. And I never use cheese either, but peanut butter, candy bars and bacon.

orbitz
06-06-2011, 02:34 AM
Glue traps are the worst for everyone. There are humane mouse traps available.

Sorry to say but when it comes to vermin, I just don't care. When I had mice problem two years ago, I surrounded the hole they came out of with sticky traps. When the mouse caught itself in the trap I then duct tape the mouse and the trap like a mummy and then throw it in the trash can. I caught 7 of the little suckers that way.

Rex
06-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Sorry to say but when it comes to vermin, I just don't care. When I had mice problem two years ago, I surrounded the hole they came out of with sticky traps. When the mouse caught itself in the trap I then duct tape the mouse and the trap like a mummy and then throw it in the trash can. I caught 7 of the little suckers that way.

Marry me........

orbitz
06-06-2011, 02:45 AM
Marry me........

If you're willing to support me financially then the answer is "Yes!" :lol:

Rex
06-06-2011, 02:49 AM
If you're willing to support me financially then the answer is "Yes!" :lol:

ok.....I'll just have to work BOTH sides of the street now. :P

lise
06-06-2011, 03:36 AM
I'm all for glue traps. They work great! I tend to jump big time with the traditional traps so this is an alternative.

If you hire an exterminator, they can place bait and the mice will eat and die within the walls. However, you still need to plug up the hole in which they are coming in from so that this does not happen again. Hubby is an exterminator so I leave this stuff to him!

Good luck!

BaileyCatts
06-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Hubby is an exterminator so I leave this stuff to him!

Good luck!

Hmmm .. does he deal in mice? Could you ask him how he would proceed if called to a house where someone saw a mouse and has evidenice (visible mouse poops) of mice so I can compare that to what a local company will tell me/what they do? I tend to attract poor service (i.e., get ripped off no matter the circumstance) whenever I hire ANYONE because I am so clueless about everything. I have a big flashing sign that says "sucker" over my head and boy have I been taken advantage of because of it. :( I'd like to hear what a pro would do so I know what to ask and look for.

mkats
06-06-2011, 04:22 AM
I just moved into my new place (single house, sharing with two other residents) today and one of the housemates told me that the mouse problem has been resolved. Crossing my fingers that this is true, because I find the darn things way too cute and could never bring myself to kill one...

I stayed over a few weeks ago and went out on the street to call my boyfriend; came back and found soon-to-be female roomie standing on the kitchen table screaming while soon-to-be male roomie ran around with a plastic bag going "here mousey mousey! here mousey mousey!" :lol: needless to say, this was not the most efficient method, and soon he resorted to his judo stick. :(