PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Cooper speaks fluent French on French TV

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

dbell1
06-03-2011, 10:01 PM
A conversation with Will and Vaughn in French would have just rocked my Alias world. :lol:

Wyliefan
06-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm insanely jealous of anyone who manages to master a foreign language, any language, enough to be conversant in it. I took Latin in high school and college. :slinkaway

I took Italian in college and loved it. Took it again in grad school and the teacher was so awful, I swear I went backward. Not that I was ever really conversant in it, but she made me forget more than I learned! :slinkaway

Lanie
06-03-2011, 10:35 PM
I wonder what my French accent sounds like to people who are native speakers. My mom spent her teen years in Paris, and my godmother's brother-in-law is from Paris, so I grew up hearing French around me which was why I studied it in school. My college French professor told me I sounded prissy as hell and Parisian. :rofl:

missflick
06-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Candace Bergen is quite fluent as well, I think.

skatak
06-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Michael Vartan is the nephew of a very, very, very well know French singer, who was among the top 3 in the 60ies.

allezfred
06-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Yes, if it was 14 years ago, and he lives in a country with few opportunities to practice it.

Keeping up language skills isn't a matter of opportunities, it's a matter of motivation.

gkelly
06-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Huh, well I could understand 90% of what Cooper said, maybe because of the American accent and the fact that he was speaking at a slower pace, with relatively simple syntax. I don't know if I even got 60% of what the interviewer was saying.

Allskate
06-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Keeping up language skills isn't a matter of opportunities, it's a matter of motivation.

I'm not sure I agree with that. But, I do think people are more likely to be motivated to keep up their language skills if there are opportunities to use them. Most of the people I know who studied Spanish in school have kept up their language skills much better than those who learned other languages. There's more much more use for Spanish language skills in the U.S. and also much more opportunity to maintain those skills. All you have to do is turn on the tv or walk down the street where I live to hear someone speak Spanish. I've forgotten most of the French I learned. And, to be honest, there haven't been that many situations in which I've been left wishing I still understood French. OTOH, I often wish I could speak Spanish and have considered learning it.

SandraMGfan
06-04-2011, 04:22 AM
Yeah - it was Michael Vartan who spoke French on Alias, and is another hottie who is bilingual. Michael guest starring as a French chef on Kitchen Confidential with Bradley was a great show.

Vartan had the unforgettable "Your cuisine is caca!" quote. :rofl:
I might just go an re-watch that episode!

Aussie Willy
06-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Oh who cares if it is perfect or not, that was very very hot.

iceberg08
06-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Aaron Eckhart speaks French as well. (Don't know if it's fluent enough or not)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7NlL9ScWV4

Tinami Amori
06-04-2011, 11:58 PM

I'm not sure I agree with that. But, I do think people are more likely to be motivated to keep up their language skills if there are opportunities to use them. .

I am convinced it is “motivation” always, like allezfred said.

One can be motivated by a necessity or a dire need, one can be motivated by more esoteric reasons. One may want to learn a foreign language to survive in a new country and another may want to learn ancient runes to read inscriptions on ancestral grave stones in Gotland…. Both such reasons are “motivations”, very strong motivations depending on one’s “need”.

There is NO limit to “opportunities” to use ANY language today, given all that is available at our disposal through communication technologies. You can down-load a picture of the ancient grave stone from Gotland and apply your knowledge of “runes”…. :D….. Just like you can chat on line with, or post on the forums of native speakers in ANY foreign language.

Today, especially today, given all the “gadgets” at our disposal, there is no excuse for “lack of opportunity and means to learn” and “lack of application” for any foreign language or any knowledge........ just lack of "motivation".. :)

Gazpacho
06-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Keeping up language skills isn't a matter of opportunities, it's a matter of motivation.It's both, but opportunities definitely facilitate things. Without opportunities, it's difficult to get feedback, especially on pronunciation. And the fewer opportunities you have, the more motivation you need. You only have a finite number of hours in the day, and if it's time-consuming to find opportunities, it's hard to maintain the motivation.

Also, when you're surrounded by a language that you've had some training in, something in your brain automatically kicks in. Many people had command of a language but then forgot it when they moved away. Then you set them in that country for a week, and boom, the language is back. They're suddenly remembering words they had totally forgotten when outside the environment.

DaveRocks
06-05-2011, 02:02 AM
HOT. That is all.

*Jen*
06-05-2011, 08:02 PM
As for Bradley Cooper speaking French, his heavy American accent kind of ruined it. But then again, neither the French language nor Bradley Cooper himself do much for me. :shuffle: (yes, I'm weird):confused:

Of all Americans I ever heard speak or try to speak French, this was by far one of the best. I am actually quite impressed by his accent.

ITA. I expected a Johnny Wier type of clear american twang, but it's just not there.

I commented on his accent, not his fluency in French or lack of thereof. I couldn't tell as I don't speak French at all. I did notice his accent, though. It's not that he has a heavy accent when he speaks English. But when he speaks French his pitch is the same as if he was speaking English. Which is very different from French. I don't know how to explain it better. To me, it was distracting. It's as if he was speaking English but I couldn't understand the words, my brain was getting confused. :lol:

If you don't speak French at all, how can you comment on his accent? I do speak French - probably about as well as him, so fluently, but I am by no means bilingual. His accent is pretty awesome. Most anglophones have a lot of trouble with the French 'r', but he has it down.

He doesn't sound French, but I wouldn't immediately have picked out that he was American. I think you're hearing it because you expected to, because it's not really there ;)