PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Cooper speaks fluent French on French TV

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

overedge
06-03-2011, 06:52 PM
OMG. I never realized until reading the last few posts in this thread that Bradley Cooper was Will on Alias. He's had something of a babe-a-licious makeover since then.....

Castlerock
06-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Never French on Alias. He was normal there, except for when he was getting beat up, or forced into witness protection, or killing Evil Francie (who never stayed dead)... Loved seasons 1 & 2 of that show, but 3, 4 and especially 5 were horrid.

Yeah - it was Michael Vartan who spoke French on Alias, and is another hottie who is bilingual. Michael guest starring as a French chef on Kitchen Confidential with Bradley was a great show.

Gazpacho
06-03-2011, 07:19 PM
But is it really that surprising that someone who studied a language in college/university can speak it? :shuffle:Yes, if it was 14 years ago, and he lives in a country with few opportunities to practice it. I'd say that Cooper actually speaks French significantly better than most Anglophone Canadians.

Brooke Shields can (or could) speak French very fluently, as she was a French major in college.

PeterG
06-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Sigh, just as one comment says, life is so unfair!

Slightly off topic, doesn't Jodie Foster speak very good French?

Jodie Foster is a French movie star. (Well, if ninth billing counts!)

Un long dimanche de fianšailles (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0344510/)

It was an excellent movie, by the way. Trailer is here:

A Very Long Engagement (English Title) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-He8XWlRL8)

PeterG
06-03-2011, 07:29 PM
OMG. I never realized until reading the last few posts in this thread that Bradley Cooper was Will on Alias. He's had something of a babe-a-licious makeover since then.....

He's always been a hottie. There was one Alias episode where he turned super-hero (amnesia? drugged??) for which he was all in black, including some well-tailored leather pants... :swoon: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luenatic
06-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Brooke Shields can (or could) speak French very fluently, as she was a French major in college.

Did you watch 'Who do you think you are'? It's about genealogy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1263246/Brooke-Shields-breaks-tragic-family-past-learns-royal-ancestors-U-S-television.html

"Show researchers discovered that she (Brook Shields) was directly related to King Henry IV and that Louis XIV was a cousin, many generations removed."

luenatic
06-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Who is Bradley Cooper? And if he is a TV or a Movie actor then WHY is speaking french "front page news"?

Where is the "front page news"? Did you read it at your local newspaper as "front page news"? OMG!

Jenny
06-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I'd say that Cooper actually speaks French significantly better than most Anglophone Canadians.

And this sweeping statement is based on what? The millions of Canadians you have heard speak French?

The other American actress that comes to mind as being fluent in French is Molly Ringwald, who has made several French language films.

overedge
06-03-2011, 08:04 PM
He's always been a hottie. There was one Alias episode where he turned super-hero (amnesia? drugged??) for which he was all in black, including some well-tailored leather pants... :swoon: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, I remember that one well (heh heh).

Gazpacho
06-03-2011, 08:37 PM
And this sweeping statement is based on what? The millions of Canadians you have heard speak French?No, the many Anglophone Canadians who can't speak French as well. I have spent a lot of time in Anglophone Canada, mostly among moderately well off Ontario residents who are statistically more likely to have had good French instruction at school. Most of them have good reading ability and pretty good listening ability, but they wouldn't be able to do a similar interview in French.

Jenny
06-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Perhaps then you might have said "Cooper's accent is better than that of the Anglophone Canadians I have heard speak French" before suggesting that his accent was "significantly" better than "most" Anglophone Canadians.

I had assumed that's what you meant of course, but on an international board the tendency to make sweeping generalizations about millions of people at a time can be annoying.

Gazpacho
06-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Perhaps then you might have said "Cooper's accent is better than that of the Anglophone Canadians I have heard speak French" before suggesting that his accent was "significantly" better than "most" Anglophone Canadians.

I had assumed that's what you meant of course, but on an international board the tendency to make sweeping generalizations about millions of people at a time can be annoying.I wasn't referring to his accent but rather his fluidity and comfort level.

And I stand by my statement that his French is better than most Anglophone Canadians. As I said, the ones I've spent time around, most of whom readily admit they're not comfortable with French, are statistically more likely to have had good French instruction in school. It's not a stretch to think that people who haven't had as good French instruction would be even less comfortable doing an interview in French.

Jenny
06-03-2011, 09:01 PM
And I stand by my statement that his French is better than most Anglophone Canadians. As I said, the ones I've spent time around, most of whom readily admit they're not comfortable with French, are statistically more likely to have had good French instruction in school. It's not a stretch to think that people who haven't had as good French instruction would be even less comfortable doing an interview in French.

:wall:

vesperholly
06-03-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm insanely jealous of anyone who manages to master a foreign language, any language, enough to be conversant in it. I took Latin in high school and college. :slinkaway

star_gazer11
06-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah - it was Michael Vartan who spoke French on Alias, and is another hottie who is bilingual. Michael guest starring as a French chef on Kitchen Confidential with Bradley was a great show.

Another person who watched Kitchen Confidential, woot. :cheer2:

This was my first reaction on seeing this, too - WHY did they never use his french ability on Alias? But then they had Michael Vartan, so... I guess that answers that question.