PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Andora
06-03-2011, 06:15 AM
Oh puhleeze. Wing&Lowe had been silver medalists in Canada for three years straight when they went to the Olympics. That's hardly a "fluke".

More like a "dry spell."

Super memorable and entertaining team, but...

geoskate
06-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Wow. First the U.S. national pair champions, then the Canadian national dance champions.

It's encouraging that Paul, at least, wants to continue. If it didn't involve splitting up another dance team, I'd suggest Elisabeth Paradis or Victoria Hawegawa, both of whom are very talented and would probably be good matches in terms of size, I think.

Ballroomdancer
06-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Vanessa and Paul have been favourites of mine since I first saw them compete as Juniors. I was looking forward to watching our top teams push each other to become better and better over the next few years.
I am drowning my sorrow in champagne.

Hanna
06-03-2011, 07:11 AM
I'll just repeat what everyone else said. So unexpected! :eek:

Domshabfan
06-03-2011, 07:27 AM
why do you say it is understandable? just curious

Because of the results at the worlds... they finished 10th after finishing 3rd at GPF and in process lost to all their main challengers, 3 US pairs, 2 other Canadian pairs, 2 Russians, Italian team. Their loss to P/B, V/M and D/W where expected but from their early season result would have suggested them to be fighting for the 4th position instead of finishing 10th, in process losing the 2nd position in Canada and even managing to lose to C/Z. May be they feel they are stagnating...

The Accordion
06-03-2011, 09:06 AM
:eek:
NOT what I expected when I logged in today! :(

I fell in love with them at 2008 Nationals and although they have had ups and downs and I admit there are things they could work on - I have very much admired their courage and orginality and the ease they had with one another from their long time together!

I am not sure I agree with the idea that they were dumped. Seeing the Olympics live I saw a huge difference in them from the OD to the Freedance. Like 2 different teams. So it made me think they could be uneven - not only from comp to comp - but even during the different segments of one competition.

I also think though difficult and original and an interesting choice - their Freedance this year did not resonate universally with crowds - so likely that was the case with judges too.

On the other hand - their did seem to be something missing at Nationals this year - especially when compared with W and P. Which came first - the maybe not so inspiring program or the maybe not so inspired skater(s)?

I loved their previous 2 freedances!

allezfred
06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Super memorable and entertaining team, but...

Each to their own I suppose. :shuffle:

Like everyone else I'm really shocked and a bit speechless about this split. :eek:

Mevrouw
06-03-2011, 10:35 AM
:eek: OMG :eek: :eek: OMG :eek: :eek: OMG :eek: :eek: OMG :eek: :eek: OMG :eek:

What a surprise! ! ! ! ! ! ! And not a nice one. Damn damn damn.

IneZR
06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Why, why, why???:wall:

Meredith
06-03-2011, 11:40 AM
:(

Crone & Poirier were one of the bright lights (for me, at least) at 2010 Skate America. They were as fluid and graceful in practice as they were in competition; my camera adored them.

I will miss them, but they have to be so proud of what they have accomplished.

nuge
06-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Such a shame we won't see them again :(

paskatefan
06-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Sorry to learn about this split. :(

Frau Muller
06-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Whoa! What a surprise. Then again, they must have been terribly disappointed with their Worlds result.

zotza
06-03-2011, 01:13 PM
This is sad news... The younger the teams get in ice dancing the more surprises like this we are going to get, unfortunately.
I wonder if the results at Worlds made Vanessa want to quit.It's been quite difficult to be 3rd in the GPF and then finish behind all the teams you passed earlier in the season.
I wonder if they also didn't agree with the programs that we're gonna see next season.Their style was more voidy than what everyone will be doing in 2011/12.

cygnus
06-03-2011, 02:25 PM
:(