PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Rafter
06-03-2011, 03:20 AM
This is very vague 2nd or 3rd hand information, but I have heard that they did not have the best of relationships. That's seriously all I know; several people I know were less than surprised about this while I was completely shocked. Take this with a grain of salt though, for all I know this could be mean gossip and people trying to sound more in touch than they really are. ;) But, I'll take "personal issues" as the reason since I'm totally stumped as to why else this would happen.

If this is true, they hid it well. I suspect C&P didn't have much in common off the ice, but I always sensed a decent relationship between them. Sort of a sibling-type relationship.

Is it true that Crone is engaged to be married?

Fan1961
06-03-2011, 03:23 AM
Oh i'm mistaken... I thought that saying someone was as "far away as being an ice dancer as someone can get"... was just mean .. not sarcastic.. my bad

SamuraiK
06-03-2011, 03:39 AM
ok, here are the females listed on ice partner search (senior, dance, CND) - do any make sense for PP?

Chanelle Biggan
Mélissande Dumas
Natalie Feigin
Rebecca Fowler
Marianne Gola
Josianne Gonthier
Laura Holbrough
Jess Hynes
Judith Jean Lachapelle
Stefanie Kim
Carolyn MacCuish
Kate McCall
Brandy Naugler
Meredith Ovenden
Karen Routhier
Jazz Smyl Joly

I think only Karen Routhier is a semi doable option.. :( The others are nowhere near his level..

Rafter
06-03-2011, 03:56 AM
Oh i'm mistaken... I thought that saying someone was as "far away as being an ice dancer as someone can get"... was just mean .. not sarcastic.. my bad

Sigh. You're not getting it. And I didn't say oliveira was far way from being an ice dancer, I said she was far away from looking like one. Technically she was quite strong as I recall.

Anyway, not a lot of choices for Poirier. Wonder if he'll have to go outside the country for a partner.

Fan1961
06-03-2011, 04:12 AM
[QUOTE=Rafter;3199672]Sigh. You're not getting it. And I didn't say oliveira was far way from being an ice dancer, I said she was far away from looking like one.

Semantics......

Sedge
06-03-2011, 04:15 AM
Their 2010 World FD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkk-Sy2_Kjc) will always be my favorite.

Thanks for that link...I hadn't watched it since 2010 Worlds.
Such original choreography and great power.

Mayra
06-03-2011, 04:21 AM
Bummer! :(

They were interesting to watch and had :kickass: choreography.

A different coach and different packaging could have gone a long way to helping them (her).

Cloudy_Gumdrops
06-03-2011, 04:23 AM
Wow, this is something I wouldn't have expected. I wasn't a fan of them, but it's sad to see a promising team split.

How many other high profile couples (both pairs and dance) are gonna split before this offseason is over.

Sulphur
06-03-2011, 04:45 AM
They were my favorite team since DelSchoes retired, so it figures horrible things would happen to them.

In the past 3 seasons they had more original, thoughtful, and creative choreography in both their FDs AND ODs than many more successful teams had over their entire careers. It's a shame they'll be remembered most for this year's programs that never reached quite the same level as the past two years. F*cking Christopher Dean. Sorry, but he drags everyone he works with down. :rolleyes: I'll try to look on the bright side that at least they won't have to follow the same path of getting passed by generic Shpilband/Morozov crap like DelSchoes. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear Paul is looking to continue. Hopefully he finds a smaller and more elegant partner, and continues with C&P's coaching team.

Their 2010 World FD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkk-Sy2_Kjc) will always be my favorite.

I agree the FD never reached its full potential and it's a shame, but I think it was only becausr they were unlucky not because the choreo sucked. I think Chris Dean did a splendid job highlighting the strength of the team, and almost every bit of the program was very unique.

skatingfan04
06-03-2011, 04:56 AM
ok, here are the females listed on ice partner search (senior, dance, CND) - do any make sense for PP?

Chanelle Biggan
Mélissande Dumas
Natalie Feigin
Rebecca Fowler
Marianne Gola
Josianne Gonthier
Laura Holbrough
Jess Hynes
Judith Jean Lachapelle
Stefanie Kim
Carolyn MacCuish
Kate McCall
Brandy Naugler
Meredith Ovenden
Karen Routhier
Jazz Smyl Joly

Natalie Feigin, Carolyn MacCuish and Karen Routhier are all lovely skaters, with Routhier probably being the most advanced of the bunch technically. Even though none of them are at Poirier's level, I doubt that would be too much of a problem. It's rare that both partners in a new team have the same skill set anyhow, and I can think of a number of pairings where huge differences in skill and experience were overcome in a relatively short period of time. For example, I believe Kaitlyn Weaver was just out of Novice when she first paired with Andrew Poje, who had already been a senior for a couple of years. Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam came together at lightning speed, and while both of them had been successful in the past, Islam's experience far exceeded hers. Even Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch came together incredibly quickly considering that Kirsten had next to no experience. Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford, and the list goes on. Realistically, there isn't anyone available right now, in Canada anyways, who is even close to Poirier's level, but that doesn't mean that he can't pair up with a lower level girl and still make a great career out of it. After all, he's only 19.

judgejudy27
06-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Wing & Lowe were never really dumped because they were never on top , they were always a second rate team who got their fluke and managed to hold very young V&M for the olympic team.

Faiella&Scali 2009 worlds result was mainly for them screwing up big time, he fell on the short and their FD was a mess, they still had the politik-PCS behind them.

I forgot Bourne & Kraatz, they DO count. they survived a whole quadrenial after Nagano out of the podium to get the gold in their final year, only I never thought of them as being dumped rather than finally being judged correctly..:shuffle::o

Agree with all this.

Bourne & Kraatz basically waited for everyone to retire to win a Worlds as well. It was basically like winning an edition of Survivor. Two generations of top teams that had been beating them or challenging them were all gone. The only other team left by the 2003 Worlds who had ever been in even the top 5 at Worlds before were Lobacheva & Averbuhk who they were able to barely edge out this year.

They also won bronze at the 99 Worlds, gold at the 2002 Grand Prix final, and silver at the 2002 Worlds, so I wouldnt say they were off the podium a whole quadrennial. The only Worlds they competed at and missed medalling was the 2001 Worlds.

a56
06-03-2011, 05:08 AM
But considering their goal was to make the final warmup group, coming in 10th behind the third ranked US team while their main Canadian rivals ended up top 5 was possibly quite discouraging.
Placing 5 places at worlds behind their main rivals, even with mistakes, was possibly humiliating for them, considering Crone/Poirier narrowly beat Weaver/Poje for the 2011 Canadian title and also for the second Olympic spot last year. There was some talk about how Weaver/Poje should have gone to the Olympics or won the Canadian title, so maybe there was a bit of an intense rivalry there.

Domshabfan
06-03-2011, 05:30 AM
That is surprising, yet understandable decision from them.

overedge
06-03-2011, 06:00 AM
Wing & Lowe were never really dumped because they were never on top , they were always a second rate team who got their fluke and managed to hold very young V&M for the olympic team.

Oh puhleeze. Wing&Lowe had been silver medalists in Canada for three years straight when they went to the Olympics. That's hardly a "fluke".

victoriajh
06-03-2011, 06:05 AM
That is surprising, yet understandable decision from them.

why do you say it is understandable? just curious