PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Fan1961
06-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Quite surprising news. I guess between dropping placements at worlds over last year, being passed by W&P and the emergence of P&I, they (or she) saw the writing on the wall. I also wonder if the feedback from international judges was not good.

This must be a very recent development as Skate Canada announced their national team about a month ago and C&P were listed.

Well this does not surprise me. Olivieira is about as far away from looking like an ice dancer as one can get. They were well trained but poorly matched. I was surprised they finished second at Canadians actually.
and these comments from someone who professes to be the guardian angel against negativity?

triple_toe
06-03-2011, 12:00 AM
This is very vague 2nd or 3rd hand information, but I have heard that they did not have the best of relationships. That's seriously all I know; several people I know were less than surprised about this while I was completely shocked. Take this with a grain of salt though, for all I know this could be mean gossip and people trying to sound more in touch than they really are. ;) But, I'll take "personal issues" as the reason since I'm totally stumped as to why else this would happen.

PeterG
06-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Personal issues? If so, you'd think they'd been together long enough and had also reached a mature enough age to work things out... unless they had a Dube/Davison situation and things got awkward fast.

You are so BAD!!!

:lol:

skatingfan04
06-03-2011, 12:19 AM
:eek: Did NOT see that coming.

pat c
06-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Well feck, gosh darn it.........argh.

(sigh) I wish them well, and they've certainly given me some great skating moments. Good luck to both of them.

smileyskate
06-03-2011, 12:29 AM
I am surprised to hear this as well. I especially enjoyed Paul's skating & kind of felt Vanessa (not saying she wasn't good too) was lucky to be paired with him. Perhaps it's just too much work to make not enough $ at this point, plus they are likely running up debts if they haven't done so already. Glad she is going to coach and I do hope he decides to continue to skate.
I wish more teams or even single skaters had to do one of their competitive programs (likely the short) in a simple type of outfit like this team did (also V & M's black outfits). Less distracting, easier to see the line, and of course less huge waste of time and $ on another competition outfit. Took me a second to get used to it but seems more sports-like to me.
Back to the topic-I am sure we all will miss them & wish them the best and hopefully someone here will have the actual details.

rhumba
06-03-2011, 12:47 AM
So sad, saw them skating since they're little...good luck to both of them.

vmfan89
06-03-2011, 12:51 AM
I am so surprised by this! I will miss them, but I wish them luck with their future plans. I hope Paul can find another partner that is up to his level so all of his talent doesn't go to waste! I can't really think of anyone though... Isn't Paul trained as a singles skater? Maybe he can switch to pairs and skate with Caitlin Yankowskas. Kidding lol! But a girl can dream right?

MINAM
06-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Huh?????? I'm shocked! :(

victoriaheidi
06-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Wow, this was unexpected! I like them a lot. Oh well. :( Hope they both find happiness with whatever they do next.

JasperBoy
06-03-2011, 12:56 AM
That is shocking news. I was so impressed by their choice of Eleanor Rigby last year. That was really creative, and hiring Chris Dean was a big step. I am very sorry that they have quit skating together.

Here's hoping that Paul finds another partner and continues to show us his great style, among other things.

Lanna
06-03-2011, 01:14 AM
:eek:

victoriajh
06-03-2011, 01:27 AM
This is very vague 2nd or 3rd hand information, but I have heard that they did not have the best of relationships. That's seriously all I know; several people I know were less than surprised about this while I was completely shocked. Take this with a grain of salt though, for all I know this could be mean gossip and people trying to sound more in touch than they really are. ;) But, I'll take "personal issues" as the reason since I'm totally stumped as to why else this would happen.

interesting......- at canadians this year- paul was really hanging out in the skaters lounge and chattign with coaches and such- vanessa was never anywhere around him and usually strutting her stuff with all the girls in the stands- with a FABULOUS chanel purse that I was drooling over.... just got the impression that they were not really great friends- but it was only my gut feeling-
I am so sorry to see them go- i love their FD this year- they skated it so well at nationals- it was spine tingleing.... i will miss them ;(

Theatregirl1122
06-03-2011, 01:29 AM
:and really loved their long program choreographed to Ellen O'Rigby.

:shuffle: I don't think that is what the song is called...

Japanfan
06-03-2011, 01:39 AM
I expected these two to continue through to the next Olympic cycle and be spurred on by their rivalry with W/P. I loved their Eleanor Rigby program and it indicated that they were really interested in exploring innovative programs. They did lose momentum with it throughout the season - it was better at Skate Canada than at Worlds - but I thought that was just a bad season. Lots of skaters have bad seasons and come back fighting.

Sure wish a more precise reason had been given for the break-up.