PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Judy
06-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Wow I am shocked. This team really had a future and I was looking forward to seeing them grow. I wonder what happened.

OlieRow
06-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Whoa! Someone posted on Aunt Joyce (reputable source, I know ;)) asking if Vanessa had quit but I still wasn't expecting this. Best wishes to both of them in the future, I was really looking forward to watching them continue to battle it out with W/P.

judgejudy27
06-02-2011, 10:29 PM
This is surprising news. On the other hand I imagine getting passed at Worlds by a flock of teams younger than them, in addition to Weaver & Poje for the first time, was hard. It is sad in a way, they had alot of potential, but they didnt seem to be developing properly. I actually think the CSA did them no favors with their at times blatant holding them up which probably gave them an impression they were better and developing at a better rate than they were. When that happens unless the skaters figure it out for themselves, eventually that rug will be pulled, and it can be a shock to the system when it is. I honestly prefer Paul & Islam to them already though, so I cant honestly say this is very dissapointing news to me as this is probably what it takes for Paul & Islam to make it to Worlds next season.

flowerpower
06-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't think they'd quit simply because of being passed at Worlds, or at least I'd hope not. That's the time to persist, make changes and come back stronger. Weaver/Poje did exactly that when they themselves were passed by C/P. They kept at it for years, and now their efforts seem to be bearing fruit.

Perhaps one of them (probably Vanessa) was simply ready to move on to other things.

reese
06-02-2011, 10:53 PM
I don't really see how they were dumped at Worlds. They had a massive mistake in the SD and another totally off twizzle sequence in the FD. They peaked way earlier in the season; they also benefited at certain moments this year from weak fields (Skate Canada), friendly judging (Canadians) and mistakes/withdrawals from other teams like Weaver/Poje (4CC, GPF) and Virtue/Moir (4CC). Finishing 10th at Worlds must have certainly been a blow, especially to Weaver/Poje's 5th, but they had mistakes! I hope (and can't imagine) that's the only thing that contributed to this decision. I hate these parternship breakup press releases because they are so intentionally vague and often dishonest, but it sounds like Vanessa is ready to move on to other things. If so, I wish her the best.

Lanie
06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Whoa.

overedge
06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I actually think the CSA did them no favors with their at times blatant holding them up which probably gave them an impression they were better and developing at a better rate than they were.

:rolleyes:

caseyedwards
06-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Surprising. Wonder what new teams will be created from this split. I didn't think falling behind weaver and poje would end this pairing!

overedge
06-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Surprising. Wonder what new teams will be created from this split. I didn't think falling behind weaver and poje would end this pairing!

Which part of the reports about the split say that this was the reason?

marbri
06-02-2011, 11:06 PM
:( Bummed

Sounds to me like Vanessa made the decision to move on with her life. Good luck to them both and thanks for entertaining me the last few years :cheer:

dramagrrl
06-02-2011, 11:14 PM
And there goes another one of my favourite teams, and one of the few actually innovative/truly interesting dance teams left in this CoP world. :wall: :wuzrobbed

museksk8r
06-02-2011, 11:16 PM
:eek::confused::wuzrobbed:fragile: I am completely gutted! They were among my top 4 favorite current dance teams and I was really looking forward to seeing how they would mature. I feel they had so much more growth and progress ahead of them if they really wanted it. This is SO sad!

At this point, are skating fans even going to have any skaters to watch next season? I am SO bummed, man! UGH!!!

Sparks
06-02-2011, 11:18 PM
:eek::confused::wuzrobbed:fragile: I am completely gutted! They were among my top 4 favorite current dance teams and I was really looking forward to seeing how they would mature. I feel they had so much more growth and progress ahead of them if they really wanted it. This is SO sad!

At this point, are skating fans even going to have any skaters to watch next season? I am SO bummed, man! UGH!!!

I know I will. :cool:

Rafter
06-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Quite surprising news. I guess between dropping placements at worlds over last year, being passed by W&P and the emergence of P&I, they (or she) saw the writing on the wall. I also wonder if the feedback from international judges was not good.

This must be a very recent development as Skate Canada announced their national team about a month ago and C&P were listed.

BTW, heard another prominent Lane team split Oliveira/Hockley (2nd Junior Canadians). What an off season for sure.

Well this does not surprise me. Olivieira is about as far away from looking like an ice dancer as one can get. They were well trained but poorly matched. I was surprised they finished second at Canadians actually.

museksk8r
06-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Does Paul also have French citizenship? If he can't find a suitable partner in Canada, maybe there is a French dancer who could potentially be a good match?