PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

stjeaskategym
06-02-2011, 08:38 PM
I did get the feeling they were semi-dumped at worlds...

Maybe, but it's not like they skated flawlessly there. I can't remember if they had any errors in the FD, but I know they messed up in the SD. But considering their goal was to make the final warmup group, coming in 10th behind the third ranked US team while their main Canadian rivals ended up top 5 was possibly quite discouraging. Still, it was a great season for them overall, and it would be a shame if they put all their eggs in the Worlds basket. Up and down results and movement in ice dance standings is supposed to be a good thing.

I can't access the article "Crone, Poirier put calamities behind them" from last November, but I remember it being quite dramatic about their injuries and struggles. Overcoming injuries and other things is normal in sports, but for some reason that article sticks out in my head. Maybe I read too far into it, but it did seem like this team had quite a bit of drama.

lavenderblue
06-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Wowwww.

On the one hand, I'm very surprised, but on the other, not so much. They seemed to stagnate, if not regress, over the course of the season, and it was hard to tell if the pure enjoyment level was always there. Best of luck to them both, though, and I hope Paul's partner search is successful.

SamuraiK
06-02-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm still surprised. Teams have been dumped before and come back with new coaches/new looks/new politik and kept on going.

In Ice Dance, the only team I can think of who did that sucessfully were Denkova/Staviski. Its just not easy to gain back momentum once the judges have clearly stated you're not the top team anymore.

Jenny
06-02-2011, 08:44 PM
In Ice Dance, the only team I can think of who did that sucessfully were Denkova/Staviski. Its just not easy to gain back momentum once the judges have clearly stated you're not the top team anymore.

Bourne & Kraatz were severely dumped and stuck it out to eventually become World Champions. Mind you, this was pre-CoP.

LilJen
06-02-2011, 08:48 PM
I confess I want him to get another partner, just so I can continue arse-watch.:slinkaway

Pair him up with Colin Brubaker! :lol:

SLIVER
06-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Don't think being dumped at Worlds has anything to do with it. They were royally dumped at Olys and came back with a 7th place a few weeks later at 2010 worlds, having not skated so differently. I think they understand a lot of it is luck, draws, politics etc...
I dont think this year's Worlds results are set in stone, I wouldn't be shocked if Shibs or W/P were not so high next year. I also don't see Ily/K hanging around 6th for very long. It's the 1st year of a new Oly cycle, things are going to keep changing. Movement in dance is becoming much more common, placements a lot more fluid, nothing is set in stone. Big shame...

beepbeep
06-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat !!!????
:eek:

I loved how "outside the box" they were...
I really hope that Paul can find another partner, he's a fantastic skater.

kwanfan1818
06-02-2011, 09:44 PM
While they weren't at the top of the heap, Wing/Lowe went to Zueva/Shpilband and they beat out a young but highly lauded Virtue/Moir for the second spot at the 2006 Olympics.

Faiella/Scali were in 8th and 9th for a handful of years, finally making it to 5th, and then were back to 8th in 2009, only to win world bronze in 2010 after switching to Linichuk. Like Denkova/Staviski, though, they didn't have to deal with the pecking order in their country after 2002, apart from F/P-M's Stare in Torino.

kirkbiggestfan
06-02-2011, 09:50 PM
What is Terra Findlay doing these days?

Andrey aka Pushkin
06-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I wasn't expecting this.

dinakt
06-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I liked them, so it is sad news for me.

Jenny
06-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Someone has already suggested in another thread that Vanessa might make a great addition to the BOTB cast this fall.

flowerpower
06-02-2011, 10:11 PM
What is Terra Findlay doing these days?

She is relatively tall - I don't know how that would work out.

kirkbiggestfan
06-02-2011, 10:20 PM
She is relatively tall - I don't know how that would work out.

True. She is probably around 5'7" and I am not sure he is much taller than her.

Blair
06-02-2011, 10:21 PM
:fragile:

Personal issues? If so, you'd think they'd been together long enough and had also reached a mature enough age to work things out... unless they had a Dube/Davison situation and things got awkward fast.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but i highly doubt they ever had "Dube/Davison situation" that would have made things awkward in the way I think you're suggesting.

It seems that Paul has a bit more room to grow as a skater, whereas Vanessa (especially considering their similar height) might have plateaued. Looking forward, it may have been the kindest thing to do to give Paul a good shot at getting a competitive team in place for Sochi.

I hope I get to see his butt on screen again soon :swoon:

I will miss seeing Vanessa though :( I always loved that she never quite fit the mold of an ice dancer, but skated with such technical prowess. I totally admire her.