PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27

euterpe
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Yes, with Zach Donohue, Piper won gold and silver medals in the 2008 JGP (they were the #4 qualifiers for the JGPF, but withdrew) and bronze in 2009.

USFS isn't the only tightfisted federation. Skate Canada refused to release Leif Gislason in 2006-2007 because he'd won bronze in a 2003 JGP event with then-partner Lauren Senft. That was Leif's one and only international podium finish. Sure, USFS wouldn't release Morgan Matthews, but Matthews/Zavozin were 2005 Junior World Champions and 2004-2005 JGPF Champions, and had won bronze, gold and JGPF bronze in the 2003-2004 JGP, and bronze in the 2002-2003 JGP.

Sylvia
07-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Morgan Matthews/Maxim Zavozin also won the silver medal at 2006 Four Continents and received Team A envelope funding at least one season (maybe two?).

ETA: That said, I feel if a skater or team has received USFS team envelope funding and fulfilled their obligations for that season, they've "earned" their money and should not be under any obligation to pay it back if one or both partners (or a singles skater) are accepted to represent another country. As others have pointed out in earlier discussions related to this topic, it's the skaters and their families who are footing the bulk of the bills in order to stay in competitive skating.

Dragonlady
07-07-2011, 09:52 PM
ETA: That said, I feel if a skater or team has received USFS team envelope funding and fulfilled their obligations for that season, they've "earned" their money and should not be under any obligation to pay it back if one or both partners (or a singles skater) are accepted to represent another country. As others have pointed out in earlier discussions related to this topic, it's the skaters and their families who are footing the bulk of the bills in order to stay in competitive skating.

I strongly agree with what Sylvia says. The skaters, or their parents, pay out thousands upon thousands of dollars for training and competition before they get to the point where they qualify for team envelope funding. And that funding would be insufficient to meet their total training costs in a given season. I can see the point of refusing to release skaters in countries where the federation is funding all training costs from an early age - they would have a considerable investment by the time the skater is invited to skate for another country, but where the parents have always footed the bill, the USFSA's investment is small in comparison to the lifelong investment of the skater/parents.

shutterbug
07-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Wow---could see Piper and Paul together pretty easily....

Attractive girl. :) And quite fearless it seems: http://www.flickr.com/photos/discolights444/3364956877/ Her Wikipedia bio lists Christopher Dean as one of her coaches and choreographers. Thatís a plus.

kwanfan1818
07-08-2011, 04:15 AM

:respec:

blademate
07-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Piper Gilles latest facebook status:

More packing but this one is exciting!!

Could this be a move to Toronto to skate with Paul? She has also recently become "friends" with quite a few Toronto skaters

OlieRow
07-12-2011, 02:02 AM
Piper Gilles latest facebook status:

More packing but this one is exciting!!

Could this be a move to Toronto to skate with Paul? She has also recently become "friends" with quite a few Toronto skaters

Oooooh! I hope so! Well, assuming the country issues won't be too big of a hastle.

ETA: Apparently Vanessa Crone "likes" the status.

blademate
07-12-2011, 02:53 AM
she also could be teaming with Jordan Hockley I suppose, but I hope it's Paul, I think they would look great together!

flowerpower
07-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Now that would be very interesting!

Maybe we should keep an eye out for late Thornhill entries (possibly just an SD).

blue_idealist
07-12-2011, 04:28 AM
Oooooh! I hope so! Well, assuming the country issues won't be too big of a hastle.

ETA: Apparently Vanessa Crone "likes" the status.

It would be kind of weird for Vanessa to like it, but maybe she's happy they both are moving on?

OlieRow
07-12-2011, 11:36 AM
It would be kind of weird for Vanessa to like it, but maybe she's happy they both are moving on?

Yea, wasn't sure what to make of that. But it definitely looks like she's teaming with someone in Toronto.

clarie
07-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Yea, wasn't sure what to make of that. But it definitely looks like she's teaming with someone in Toronto.

I hope so....Vanessa's so talented and I hope she does team with someone more suitable for her. I hope that both move on with no regrets.

AYS
07-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I so strongly agree with this, I just want to pull a "me too" on the ITAing.

The idea that a federation would rather see a previously funded skater unable to continue competing for lack of a suitable partner than to see them represent another country seems just spiteful.

NorthernDancers
07-12-2011, 03:34 PM
she also could be teaming with Jordan Hockley I suppose, but I hope it's Paul, I think they would look great together!

Interesting.... Is Hockley still skating or did he retire? It would be interesting to see him continue. Especially lately, he's shown a lot of potential. With the right sized partner, and perhaps with some new music choices and styles, we could really see him grow and develop.

shutterbug
07-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Jordan Hockley is skating with Nicole Kuzmich as per the latest announcement from COS: 2011 Team Elite (http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Patricia%20Glenwright%2010%2011/7%206%2011%202011%20Team%20Elite.pdf)