PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

victoriajh
06-25-2011, 01:57 AM
It makes me wonder exactly what the personal problems were.. as far as I know they weren't romantically involved but what do I really know?

yikes that is very candid of vanessa to say- i think i said in this thread already that they did not 'hang' out together at nationals and vanessa just did not look happy ( i mean considering the national title and all!!!) I really like Paul he is wonder ful to watch and he was very personable when I chatted with him - again I am really sad about this split- there was clearly a lot more going on than most people realsied and now the sudden decline of them at worlds and 4cc's makes more sense to me they were 'done'

dancefan17
06-25-2011, 02:54 AM
They were absolutely not romantically involved. Positive of that....also had a great relationship for many years....I try to keep in mind how young they are and how quickly they realized success....would be difficult for most, if not all teams.

alilou
06-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I seriously doubt there was any romantic issues there... at least mutually. :shuffle:

I hate interviews like this where people don't say a lot but give out *just* enough to invite rampant speculation.

Like this:
“It will be difficult getting used to another person and how they skate, how they deal with tension and all that.

If he was a ginormous a**hole, just say so girlfriend! :P
I'm completely baffles as to why you'd interpret Vanessa's words as meaning Paul was an a**hole. One of the most important things for pair and dance couples to know about each other is how they deal with the stress of competition.

Rafter
06-25-2011, 05:57 PM
yikes that is very candid of vanessa to say- i think i said in this thread already that they did not 'hang' out together at nationals and vanessa just did not look happy ( i mean considering the national title and all!!!)

I do not think that C&P not hanging out at nationals means anything. Lots of pair/dance teams go their separate ways after practices/competition.

I also saw Vanessa a few times during nationals and she looked very happy to me.

casken
06-25-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm completely baffles as to why you'd interpret Vanessa's words as meaning Paul was an a**hole. One of the most important things for pair and dance couples to know about each other is how they deal with the stress of competition.

I'm just being facetious. :P

alilou
06-25-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm just being facetious. :P

Oops. Guess I momentarily lost my sense of humor :duh:

miffy
06-26-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't know much about this team :o But could it not just be that they were unhappy about finishing so far behind Weaver and Poje at Worlds? I can think of a lot of teams that split (or one person suddenly lost interest) as soon as they were beaten by a team from the same country that they had previously been thought of as better than... :shuffle:

The Observer
06-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Interesting. Splitting (then reteaming with someone else) made no sense from a competitive perspective, so there really had to be a personal element in all of this somewhere.

Although many might say "why would teams split after 10 years", possibly part of the answer is that when teams get together at such a young age (a fairly new phenomenon), ten years later they are reaching adulthood and may find themselves with different goals and different beliefs about how to reach those goals. Also it's one thing to work together as kids (doing whatever your coaches say) and another thing to forge an adult team together.

Vanessa hints that perhaps with time they can work it out. Maybe so (especially since they've both said they want to continue skating).

Yes, things can change as people grow from kids to adults. But if you look at Paul's long interview in French that I posted earlier on this thread, he talks glowingly about his strong friendship with Vanessa.

I do hope it's true that Vanessa is hinting there's the possibility of a reconciliation, because I think they will have trouble advancing in skating if they don't stick together.

clarie
06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Oh, I do hope you are right The Observerabout there possibly being a reconciliation. I know there are some that have issues about Vanessa's posture, but I thought she had so many redeeming qualities and I thought her to be so light on her feet with lovely edges. This team had so much potential and just hit a bump in the road last year with such a difficult program that people found hard to understand. I think both of them would have much difficulty finding partners as good as they both are. I sincerely hope they rethink and reverse their decision to go their separate ways.:)

puglover
06-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I completely agree with Claire. In one of the interviews during worlds that PJ did she was speaking to Paul McIntosh. Paul really praised Crone and Poirier and as I recall stated they would be leaders in the sport with their athleticism and innovation. I really hope there is someway for them to reconcile and move forward together. That said - my son did Novice pairs for about 3 years - nice girl and great family - but it does take a lot for two teenagers to get along on the ice hour after hour and I frankly got tired of the drama. So I do realize it is not easy - great people or not,

NorthernDancers
06-29-2011, 03:23 PM
I think Crone/Poirier should go to different coaches for awhile, and reset their skating relationship. Both can absolutely fix their weaknesses and grow and excel in the sport. But that's the point....for a couple of years now, they have not made improvements in key areas - connection with each other and the music, posture, packaging, etc. They need to take a lot of off-ice dance classes so they have better overall movement in their bodies and how to connect - I'm thinking modern, jazz, contemporary. Ballroom dance will give them better insight into posture and positions and overall character of dances. Ballet will help keep them stretched. This should happen every day. Packaging is probably the easiest thing to fix, and its unbelievable to me that someone hasn't stepped in sooner and forced that kind of change. A good coach - maybe Quebec with Dubreil and Lauzon who have done some amazing things with teams like the Hasagawa's at Junior (also serious posture issues before going to Dubreil and Lauzon), or Waterloo with MacIntosh whose outstanding attention to detail and posture and positions have given Virtue/Moir the edge they still have today, and also Weaver/Poje - will help them transfer these skills to the ice. Both Quebec and Waterloo are easy driving distance to their homes.

Of all the teams in Scarborough, I like Crone/Poirier choice of programs the best. They try new things. I loved their OD a couple of years ago. Really innovative stuff, and absolutely charming. The concept of this past year's FD was also interesting and had a ton of promise. It just didn't grow and develop throughout the year like it could have done.

Sometimes a break when a team has skated together for so long is a good thing. It's happened with others. When they do skate together again, its as different people, with new maturity and balance in the partnership, and new appreciation for the good qualities each bring to the relationship.

So yes, I do hope they can find their way back to being a team again.

euterpe
06-29-2011, 05:39 PM
I don't know much about this team :o But could it not just be that they were unhappy about finishing so far behind Weaver and Poje at Worlds? I can think of a lot of teams that split (or one person suddenly lost interest) as soon as they were beaten by a team from the same country that they had previously been thought of as better than... :shuffle:

When that happens, a great team would work harder to improve and pass the other team once again. However, if there were personal issues (such as one partner wanting to try new coaching and the other adamant in refusing that change) then the will to work together to improve just isn't there. That their two programs didn't develop and get stronger over the season showed that they weren't working well together.

IMO, there isn't much hope of their reconciling for this coming season. After that, it may just be too late to make up for lost ground.

The Observer
07-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Christopher Dean also obviously thought they had a lot of potential too considering that he choreographed their Free Dance this year. He doesn't agree to work with everyone.

So yes, it's unfortunate that things have gone off the rails at present time.

PeterG
07-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Once we get Crone and Poirier back together, Sale and Pelletier will be our next effort. We can do it!!! :cheer: :cheer2:

kwanfan1818
07-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Once we get Crone and Poirier back together, Sale and Pelletier will be our next effort. We can do it!!! :cheer: :cheer2:Don't make me come out to where you live and spank you!