PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27

MacombSk8rMom
06-13-2011, 02:04 AM
The U.S. allows joint citizenship with Canada. There are many Canadians/Americans with citizenship in both countries and with dual passports.

The U.S. has become much less welcoming since 9-11. When folks like Tanith came here, I don't think they hassled people at the border so much.

Canadians are supposedly welcome to visit for up to 180 days (half a year) without a visa, but the border guards will probably exercise the option within a couple of months to not let you back in without one.

For a minor child who wants to skate here full time, it is a huge hassle now to stay here. Student visas for minors are only good for a year and they require the skater to fully pay for their schooling in the U.S. and be registered in a participating school (usually an expensive private school). Otherwise, you have spend big bucks to hire an attorney to secure a 'work visa.'

I heard some Canadians used to commute from Windsor across the border to Detroit area daily to train - they would also likely be hassled these days.

nlyoung
06-13-2011, 02:18 AM
I heard some Canadians used to commute from Windsor across the border to Detroit area daily to train - they would also likely be hassled these days.

On the contrary, if you have a good enough reason to do so you can get a NEXUS pass that lets you pass through the border with only a scan. Very hassle free. Of course to get the pass you need to jump through some minor hoops, but once you have it you're fine.

kwanfan1818
06-13-2011, 08:25 AM
On the contrary, if you have a good enough reason to do so you can get a NEXUS pass that lets you pass through the border with only a scan. Very hassle free. Of course to get the pass you need to jump through some minor hoops, but once you have it you're fine.
I've got one, too, and the hoops are very minor. It's a straightforward application, and once the state police check and the Canadian Royal Mounties check is done on their end and passed, the interview takes about 15 minutes.

Sylvia
06-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Pj Kwong talks to Vanessa Crone in her latest blog (June 21): http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/?e=67175&d=06/21/2011&s=Catching%20Up%20With%2E%2E%2E%2EVanessa%20Crone

That was then and this is now and Vanessa talks about continuing in skating and has been on the ice since the split happened around the beginning of May: "I have been on the ice a couple of times a week doing my own thing; just training and keeping myself busy. I don't want my skills to get rusty and I have even just ordered new skates." Being on the ice alone has been difficult: "I am so used to having someone there." Bit by bit she is adapting to her new "normal".

"I am definitely looking for a new dance partner and I want to find one and continue competing and if I don't I might start skating singles again or even get into coaching." Of the many possibilities available to this talented skater, it is clear that her heart is still in ice dance: "I am starting try outs around the beginning of July and would prefer to find a Canadian partner but am keeping myself open to other possibilities."

It would seem to me that the possibilities could be endless for Vanessa on and off the ice. School is important to her and Vanessa's plans include the University of Toronto in September 2012 where she wants to study nutrition, psychogy with an interest in kinesiology.

The talk though always comes back to skating and what her future holds on the ice:

"As far as who I get - I am open to moving to different coaches and locations if that's what happens. I feel like this is a new chapter and I want to start over with everything. Starting fresh would be my hope and a different atmosphere and location could be helpful."

hlp728
06-22-2011, 02:04 AM
So if I'm reading that article by PJ Kwong correctly, Vanessa wants to continue skating in the ice-dance discipline. Doesn't Paul want to do the same? The icenetwork articles (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110602&content_id=19935548&vkey=ice_pressrelease)says he wants to continue skating. Why did they break up then? I'm confused.

On a side note, if there is any truth to the Samuelson/Bates supposed break-up, I would kinda like Emily and Paul together. That is based soley on my desire not skating compatibility (I'm no technical expert).

victoriajh
06-22-2011, 04:22 AM
VANESSA;s interview makes me sadder- i guess it is easier to swallow thinking one of them didnot want to continue- but knowing they both do makes me :(

Mayra
06-22-2011, 04:24 AM
So if I'm reading that article by PJ Kwong correctly, Vanessa wants to continue skating in the ice-dance discipline. Doesn't Paul want to do the same? The icenetwork articles (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110602&content_id=19935548&vkey=ice_pressrelease)says he wants to continue skating. Why did they break up then? I'm confused.

They want to continue skating, just not with each other. Hence the split.

The Accordion
06-22-2011, 12:15 PM
So Paul has competed singles at a fairly high level - why not do pairs with Yankowskas? Is he tall enough?

Sylvia
06-22-2011, 12:27 PM
In their ISU bio, Poirier's height is listed as 176 cm (5' 9"); Crone's height is listed as 160 cm (5' 3").

alilou
06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
So Paul has competed singles at a fairly high level - why not do pairs with Yankowskas? Is he tall enough?Maybe because Cda will never release Paul, and US will never release Caitlin.

I'm just gutted about C&P spliting. But mainly gutted that there are 3 extremely talented Cdn male skaters who can't/couldn't find partners. I guess Cody gave up and moved on to working professionally with Annabelle, though initially he said he was looking to continue and did some try-outs. Then there's Bryce with no partner, though I get he's a bit of a risk given his bone condition, but I bet there's a ton of both Cdn and US girls would give their eye teeth to skate with him if they were good enough. Or there should be. And then there's Paul :wuzrobbed. I can't believe someone that talented doesn't have a partner. How did that happen? There's always way more girls in skating than boys. It's supposed to be the girls who can't find partners. :duh:

I'm also gutted about Sambates splitting, but that's for another thread.

madm
06-22-2011, 07:04 PM
So Paul has competed singles at a fairly high level - why not do pairs with Yankowskas? Is he tall enough?

I love the way people think that dance and pairs are interchangeable! They are not. Most singles elements and pair spins are alike, but the twist, throws, death spirals, and lifts are quite different. And then there are the triple jump requirements to be competitive at the senior level. It is very difficult for a male without a pairs background to learn the pair elements well enough to be rock solid for the female. It's a bit easier for a female without a pairs background to pick up the pair elements if she has a solid partner. But in either case the neophyte skater has a big learning curve and a lot of tests to pass.

BTW Caitlin is 5'3" and it would be very hard to skate pairs with a 5'9" partner. A 6" height difference is tough to make it work. That's why she looked for and had a tall partner before (John is over 6 feet).

Pratfall
06-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Go, Vanessa ! I hope some good prospects come to try out.

ioana
06-22-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm also gutted about Sambates splitting, but that's for another thread.

Not necessarily since Emily and Paul could team up? I think USFSA would be more willing to release her than Caitlin, at least...

literaryfreak
06-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Not necessarily since Emily and Paul could team up? I think USFSA would be more willing to release her than Caitlin, at least...

I could see Emily and Paul together, although they were a better match with their existing partners. :wuzrobbed

euterpe
06-22-2011, 11:02 PM

Why would USFS be more willing to release Emily Samuelson than Caitlin Yankowskas?

Emily and Evan Bates won the 2008 World Junior Championship; silver in both the 2007 and 2008 JGPFs; gold at 2008 Nebelhorn; bronze at 2008 NHK; and silver at 2009 4CC.

Caitlin and John won just two international medals: gold at 2009 Ice Challenge, and bronze at 2010 Cup of China.