PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Debrah
06-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Sorry to hear this, but I wish them both well and hope life goes on in terms of different roads taken, just as they hope and dream it will. I really enjoyed what they brought to the table...I hope Paul find's a great new partner to continue skating with.

Pratfall
06-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Rafter - I couldn't agree more with all you've said. I knew Maryjane Stong designed C/P's FD costume, but never heard her name mentioned in regard to any version of the SD costumes , and would have been very surprised if I had.
Even her designs could have been improved.

I can't believe Skate Canada takes such a great hand in packaging..maybe they make suggestions if someone's going really wrong , but surely they wouldn't have OK'd Vanessa's costume and styling at SC. Honestly, that girl has been treated very badly by those around her.

Eislauffan
06-05-2011, 11:06 AM
What do you mean by this? At the GPF I thought they skated the FD very well and quite deserved their bronze medal. I guess you thought Bobrova & Soloviev should have won the bronze?

No, I don't think that Bobrova/Soloviev should have won the bronze at GPF. Crone/Poirier deserved their placement and medals at both GPF and 4 Conts, but I think they were lucky that Weaver/Poje made mistakes in the FD in both events. If Weaver/Poje had skated clean; I felt they definitely should have been ahead.

twizzle49
06-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I loved C&P from the first time I saw them until this year. Something about that free dance bothered me and I could never say exactly what it was, but it left me cold. It was the first time one of their dances actually bored me even though I could really appreciate it's difficulty. Their skating skills and athleticism = amazing. But something was missing this year and at Nationals W&P outdanced them by a mile and I'm glad that was finally recognized at Worlds where they did it again. I am sorry to see C&P split as I too believe there was a lot more potential there, but I wish them both well in whatever comes next in their lives.

museksk8r
06-05-2011, 05:49 PM
. . . but I think they were lucky that Weaver/Poje made mistakes in the FD in both events. If Weaver/Poje had skated clean; I felt they definitely should have been ahead.

A huge component of being a strong competitor is being able to rise to the occasion and deliver your best under pressure with consistency. Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje have never been known to have the ability to do this consistently. Luck had nothing to do with Crone and Poirier winning those bronze medals. It seems skating fans hear so much about how uneven Vanessa and Paul are in competition, but Kaitlyn and Andrew have the same problem, and IMO, their consistency level is even more unpredictable. 2011 Worlds is the first time I've ever really seen Weaver/Poje meet the moment in a packed international field. It remains to be seen if that level of performance was a turning point or a fluke for them.

ltnskater
06-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I loved C&P from the first time I saw them until this year. Something about that free dance bothered me and I could never say exactly what it was, but it left me cold. It was the first time one of their dances actually bored me even though I could really appreciate it's difficulty. Their skating skills and athleticism = amazing. But something was missing this year and at Nationals W&P outdanced them by a mile and I'm glad that was finally recognized at Worlds where they did it again. I am sorry to see C&P split as I too believe there was a lot more potential there, but I wish them both well in whatever comes next in their lives.

Strangely enough, I agree 100% with this about their free dance, difficulty and intricacy of the program was definitely there this season, but there was something lacking in the free dance this year which I can't put my finger on either.

I won't comment too much on Nationals, I don't think W&P outdanced them by a mile (that's a bit of an exaggeration), technically, I still find C&P as the stronger team, and I think that was enough to justify a win especially coming in as the GPF bronze medallist over W&P.

I have to say though, I thought their 2009-2010 free dance was my favourite, no question about that, whatever was missing in last year's free dance was certainly in their olympic season fd.

Proustable
06-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I was always the opposite. I felt somewhat underenthused about C/P until "Eleanor Rigby." I agree that by Worlds, something was missing (or it might be more accurate to say that they didn't enrich the dance during the season, so it didn't have the same power), but it was easily my favourite FD of the season (until V/M's, anyway).

And no way did W/P outdance them by a country-mile at Nationals.

judgejudy27
06-05-2011, 07:36 PM
W&P clearly should have won Nationals this year though. Not by a country mile but there is no way they should have been behind C&P. Even last year it is highly questionable at best C/P deserved to be ahead.

Proustable
06-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Nope. W/P had made no improvements to that chintzy FD and they didn't skate it well. C/P had faults too, but I would've had them ahead easily.

blue_idealist
06-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I thought Crone and Poirier's FD was better at the beginning of the season, like at Skate Canada, but then it just wasn't as good as the season went on for some reason. Like someone else said, something was missing. I never got into their short dance. I always thought they were a little overrated since they became seniors in Canada, although they were good.

dramagrrl
06-06-2011, 12:26 AM
W&P clearly should have won Nationals this year though. Not by a country mile but there is no way they should have been behind C&P. Even last year it is highly questionable at best C/P deserved to be ahead.
I disagree with everything said above. I think last year W&P had a chance after Vanessa fell on the twizzle in their FD, but then they skated their FD tightly and had several small errors. That alone would have thrown away their chance, but the fact that C&P's FD was both more difficult and also skated with much more attack after the fall meant that C&P made it even more obvious.

This year, I thought the match-up was closer, especially since C&P had a weak OD and W&P had a very strong one, but I still think C&P were the clear winners at Canadians. They were just stronger overall skaters than W&P (especially Kaitlyn) are and maybe ever will be. Many in this thread have said that they always found something lacking with C&P; I feel the same about W&P. I like watching them, as they are clearly an attractive team with good lines and crowd-friendly programs, but I find their overall skating weak and was quite shocked to see them fifth at Worlds, even with clean skates. I looked at C&P and saw a team that could go all the way and have a significant impact on ice dance; I look at W&P and see a team that would shock me to achieve a World bronze medal by fluke as the very pinnacle of their career. I would not be at all surprised to see Paul & Islam become Canada #2 very quickly.

blue_idealist
06-06-2011, 12:46 AM
I don't think we will ever see Weaver and Poje as world champions. They could be medalists, but they just don't have that special something that world champion ice dance teams have. I think they can maybe hang on to the Canada #2 spot until after Sochi (or #1 if Virtue and Moir retire), but Paul and Islam will be hot on their heels the whole way. OTOH I think P&I could be future world champions, but not until after 2014.

Twizzler
06-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Does anyone know what Jane Summersett is up to these days? She was always one of my favorite US dancers and never realized her potential. I would think she would be released rather easily.

Fan1961
06-06-2011, 01:53 AM
I disagree with everything said above. I think last year W&P had a chance after Vanessa fell on the twizzle in their FD, but then they skated their FD tightly and had several small errors. That alone would have thrown away their chance, but the fact that C&P's FD was both more difficult and also skated with much more attack after the fall meant that C&P made it even more obvious.

This year, I thought the match-up was closer, especially since C&P had a weak OD and W&P had a very strong one, but I still think C&P were the clear winners at Canadians. They were just stronger overall skaters than W&P (especially Kaitlyn) are and maybe ever will be. Many in this thread have said that they always found something lacking with C&P; I feel the same about W&P. I like watching them, as they are clearly an attractive team with good lines and crowd-friendly programs, but I find their overall skating weak and was quite shocked to see them fifth at Worlds, even with clean skates. I looked at C&P and saw a team that could go all the way and have a significant impact on ice dance; I look at W&P and see a team that would shock me to achieve a World bronze medal by fluke as the very pinnacle of their career. I would not be at all surprised to see Paul & Islam become Canada #2 very quickly.

AMEN Dramagrrl - AMEN

dinakt
06-06-2011, 03:53 AM
I really liked both C/P and W/P, and liked that they were so very diferent from each other. That promised a future competition of styles, which makes skating even more interesting.
I got completely taken with W/P last Worlds; but I also rewatched C/P many times, and greatly appreciated them.
Still bummed that a truly Interesting team had to go under.