PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Ladida
06-04-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm as shocked as everyone else :(
With Alexandra Paul they could make a really good pair, but I like her with Islam as well...
I find Hoffmann and La Khok kind of old for him. Maybe it is an opportunity for the youngest Reed to get fourth citizenship :grope:

kwanfan1818
06-04-2011, 09:42 AM
The ISU Bio competition grids have been jumbled on my phone; thanks for the confirmation about Chock's Jr. World title, which, like Matthews' is criteria for refusing to release her for years.

I can't imagine big $$$ changing hands to release her, like that allegedly for Matthews' partner, Zavozin.

L'amour
06-04-2011, 11:57 AM
would they look better than P & I though? i sometimes think with his swan-like neck and narrow shoulders I of P & I looks a bit of a diva himself :) or am i just unrealistically expecting male ice dancers to look like football players in pads? :rofl:

I think islam is a good skater but sometimes i think is is too small or too baby face for Alex, i don't know.

welll..paul can be a diva, maybe he could pair up with Johnny :swoon:

blue_idealist
06-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I think it would be weird if Nora Hoffman dumped Max Zavozin and went with Paul Poirier, because IIRC Hoffman and Zavozin pulled a lot of strings to be able to skate together, due to the citizenship issues.

I thought of the Khokhlova/Poirier pairing right off the bat, but I thought I was crazy. Oh well, if I am, I'm not the only one. ;)

literaryfreak
06-04-2011, 03:23 PM
I will miss seeing Vanessa though :( I always loved that she never quite fit the mold of an ice dancer, but skated with such technical prowess. I totally admire her.

I liked that she was different from the typical super-feminine female ice dancer and had a sporty quality to her. I had hoped that ice dance could evolve in that direction, to give those girls a chance too.

Rafter
06-04-2011, 04:47 PM
At the GPF and the 4 Conts they were lucky to take their medals.

What do you mean by this? At the GPF I thought they skated the FD very well and quite deserved their bronze medal. I guess you thought Bobrova & Soloviev should have won the bronze?

Rafter
06-04-2011, 04:59 PM
She's the only coach he's ever had. The facility is excellent. And Carol is an absolute sweetheart.

There are lots of excellent facilities in North America. And your coach being a sweetheart isn't a reason to stay. I think Lane & Razjulaevs were doing a good job with C&P in most aspects (they had good edges, good power, good choreo - however Vanessa's posture was always an issue and she was rarely packaged well), but if Vanessa felt they needed a change, they probably needed a change. Fresh perspective and input is never a bad thing.

I figure Skate Canada must be pretty upset about this as I get the feeling they have invested a lot of time and money into C&P. They were definitely favoured at the national level over W&P, that's for sure.

Rafter
06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
welll..paul can be a diva, maybe he could pair up with Johnny :swoon:

For some reason this does not surprise me. It always seemed to be about Paul in the K&C. He also seemed to be mollycoddled by Carol Lane.

dancefan17
06-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Have been to more than a few competitions with Vanessa and Paul and Carol Lane. Great kids, great coach, no "coddling" that I could see....always extremely friendly and professional....rather what every parent hopes the partnership and coaching relationship would and could be. They had a great and successful journey and I wish them all the best.

pat c
06-04-2011, 05:27 PM
There are lots of excellent facilities in North America. And your coach being a sweetheart isn't a reason to stay. I think Lane & Razjulaevs were doing a good job with C&P in most aspects (they had good edges, good power, good choreo - however Vanessa's posture was always an issue and she was rarely packaged well), but if Vanessa felt they needed a change, they probably needed a change. Fresh perspective and input is never a bad thing.

No it isn't. Taking from someone else but using L&R as your base could have been an option. A lot of skaters have done this through the years and it could have been a way to keep fresh etc. But I don't think that was a problem as their fd was programmed by someone else last year. And as for packaging, SC has a wealth of experience if they would have wanted to tap into someone else for advice. Maybe VC was tired of the grind, who knows. But I wish them well, but it'll always be one of those what if things. (shrug)

shah
06-04-2011, 06:37 PM
:eek::(:watch:

sequins
06-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I was and am shocked but in another way I'm not and I don't no why. Anyway I'll miss them a lot but I wish both of them all the best and hopefully we will see at least one of them again.

BTW to me they always seemed like they had a great relationship Vanssa was very 'big sister like' but we don't no what goes on behind closed doors of course. I hope that's not the case though they were together for so long it'd be a shame.

Skate Talker
06-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Sorry to hear of the split. I enjoyed them a lot. As to new partnership for Paul - well if only they had been closer in age I think Paul and Lauren Flynn would have been something else to see skating together. Alas they will have to skate together only in my imagination.

(Poor Lauren, always felt sorry for her because when they split she was the one who definitely wanted to keep skating while Leif was not so keen. Of course she couldn't find another partner while he immediately went into a new partnership.)

Dragonlady
06-04-2011, 10:07 PM
. . .however Vanessa's posture was always an issue and she was rarely packaged well.

Last season, C&P were packaged by Maryanne Stong. Skate Canada is always involved in packaging with team members.

Rafter
06-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Last season, C&P were packaged by Maryanne Stong. Skate Canada is always involved in packaging with team members.

For the FD, yes. I don't believe for a minute that she had anything to do with any of Crone's OD costumes.

Btw, I think you mean Maryjane.