PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

PRlady
06-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Maybe he wants to stay in Toronto since he's a student at University of Toronto (one of the best universities in the country) and felt that any incremental improvement that might be gained from a new coach wouldn't be enough to offset changing schools or postponing his education.

If that's the case, good on him. Education is for the long haul, after one's butt has sagged and skills have rusted. :P

As someone who liked him much better than his partner, I hope he comes up with the right girl no matter what country she's from.

euterpe
06-03-2011, 07:06 PM
From PJ's article:

Hopefully, Skate Canada is encouraging him to seek out partners from other countries.

But I'm sure Skate Canada will want the new international partnership to skate for Canada. I doubt they'd release him to skate for another country.

NorthernDancers
06-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I think he'll have to. I don't think there is one girl in Canada right now (other than Alex Paul who already has a partner) who would be technically strong enough to skate with him. He is going to need a very strong and probably experienced girl or else a super talented and athletic one who can learn quickly. S-L Bourne was plucked out of pairs to do dance with Kraatz so it can happen. But it's rare.

I wonder if Madelaine Edwards would work for Poirier. Anyone know how old she is? She's pretty talented.

This is an interesting suggestion. I think the challenge with the young guns from BC is that we don't yet know how these teams will grow and develop over time. Just because they are great as kids does not mean this success will continue right into Senior. There are many examples of teams that looked great as kids, but didn't gel or see the same success all the way through Senior. This is the danger of pushing kids ahead too soon, and not giving them time to grow and mature physically, mentally, emotionally, and artistically. Madelaine is a great skater, and I think she is very likely to out-grow her partner. It's unfortunate, but true. There were signs of this already this season. They had great speed, but some not very good posture. Given how young Paul is, maybe Madelaine is an idea. Paul can maybe train in BC. They have UBC, a very, very good university. He could use some help from Wing/Lowe. And then I think they could move after a year or two to another training centre to develop better posture, quality detailing, etc. Interesting.

PeterG
06-03-2011, 07:14 PM
But I'm sure Skate Canada will want the new international partnership to skate for Canada. I doubt they'd release him to skate for another country.

Do countries control skaters like this? I thought any skater could sit out one year and then skate for any country that they like... :confused:

I'm a little sad with this news. I hope Paul can find himself a good partner and that he can still manage to achieve great results. I "secretly" wish Paul could team up with Khokhlova cause I think she's great ...

I was secretly thinking this too. But don't tell anybody! ;)

Debbie S
06-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Do countries control skaters like this? I thought any skater could sit out one year and then skate for any country that they like... :confused:I don't know what Skate Canada's policy is, but the USFSA has to grant a release to any skater who has competed internationally and/or received envelope money over the past 3 (I think?) seasons. In recent years, the USFSA's policy has been to not grant a release if the skater medaled in an int'l (even JGP and Senior B). Morgan Mathews couldn't get a release to skate for Canada with Leif Gislason (he eventually got a release from Skate Canada) and Augie Hill couldn't compete internationally for Canada with Lauren Senft.

I don't think Skate Canada would want a nat'l dance champion to compete for another country, and I also don't think the USFSA would release Madison Chock. Now, if Paul were able to attain citizenship in another country, I think then he wouldn't need a release (I think that was the reason Linichuk was trying to work out AZE citizenship for Morgan/Leif).

victoriajh
06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Because of the results at the worlds... they finished 10th after finishing 3rd at GPF and in process lost to all their main challengers, 3 US pairs, 2 other Canadian pairs, 2 Russians, Italian team. Their loss to P/B, V/M and D/W where expected but from their early season result would have suggested them to be fighting for the 4th position instead of finishing 10th, in process losing the 2nd position in Canada and even managing to lose to C/Z. May be they feel they are stagnating...

thanks for clarifying- i get what you are saying but then shoudl mt-m also retire? paul also claims that this is not why they spit- but seems to make the most sense- to those of us outsdise their camp!!

i just cant beleive all the great teams on the rise that are suddenly calling it quits! was there something in the water in moscow? or has the earthquake made everyone look at skating and life differently?

Dragonlady
06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
I like Carol Lang, but not sure why Poirier would have such a strong attachment to her.

She's the only coach he's ever had. The facility is excellent. And Carol is an absolute sweetheart.

adagiodancer
06-03-2011, 08:17 PM
What about Mitchell Islam's old partner Joanna Lenko? Is she still skating?

kirkbiggestfan
06-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Allison Reed is looking. Boy, he is going to have a tough time finding a high-level dancer, unless someone is going to break a partnership to skate with him. Russia and the US won`t release anyone right now. It is too bad because there a lot of great Russian dancers who would look great with him. Someone call Diva Nora and ask her to come alone for a vacation in Toronto please! If foreigners are not welcome in Moscow...they are in Toronto.

Blair
06-03-2011, 10:08 PM
La Khok and Poirier would be a dream pairing!

euterpe
06-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Allison Reed is looking. Boy, he is going to have a tough time finding a high-level dancer, unless someone is going to break a partnership to skate with him. Russia and the US won`t release anyone right now. It is too bad because there a lot of great Russian dancers who would look great with him. Someone call Diva Nora and ask her to come alone for a vacation in Toronto please! If foreigners are not welcome in Moscow...they are in Toronto.

I doubt very much that Nora Hoffmann would be willing to skate for any country other than Hungary, as she is a star there and is guaranteed to compete at Olympics/Worlds.

Why would she even consider skating for Canada where she'd have to sit out a year, then wouldn't be top dog and wouldn't even be sure of getting a spot on the World team?

kwanfan1818
06-03-2011, 10:30 PM
There's a list of accomplishments that USFS can use to block a release. It's not just having skated for the US. I'm not sure if Chock has met any.

Allison Reed has been competing for Georgia. If she doesn't pair up with a US or Georgian skater or switch to skating for Japan or get a fourth citizenship, it would be the Georgian Fed who would decide whether to release her. (Maybe the Reeds should just write a check to Morozov if she chooses the latter. )

euterpe
06-03-2011, 10:39 PM
There's a list of accomplishments that USFS can use to block a release. It's not just having skated for the US. I'm not sure if Chock has met any.

With Zuerlein, Chock won 3 gold and 1 bronze JGP event medals and the 2008-2009 JGPF championship. They were the 2009 JW champions. This past season, they won two bronze GP medals.

USFS wouldn't release Morgan Matthews, who with Max Zavozin, also won the JGPF and JW, but they never won any GP medals.

Sedge
06-03-2011, 10:42 PM

Chock is a World Junior Champion..and if my mind serves me...didn't Vlassov and Meekins hit a roadblock with USFS because of their World Junior title when they wished to change some status....or was that Morgan Matthews

AragornElessar
06-03-2011, 11:11 PM
WOW!!! Talk about a shocker and what the HELL is going on this off season!?!

I'll admit that SC pushing them so much the last two years turned me off of them, but they had so much potential. What a shame.

I wish them both the best and hope Paul's able to find a great partner for the next stage of his Skating Career.