PDA

View Full Version : Crone & Poirier split

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

maggylyn
06-03-2011, 02:33 PM
I'll just repeat what everyone else said. So unexpected! :eek:

My feelings exactly. I didn't see this coming at all.

I was sure they were in till Sochi.

:(

viennese
06-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Big surprise - and sad about this. I liked their new look and gymnastic/power dances choreographed by Christopher Dean. They had such good results on the GP circuit and final.

I'm sorry to learn they will not continue as a team.

equatorial
06-03-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm devastated. Paul Poirier has been my fave male ice dancer (I ueber I/K, but Poirier is exceptional, even my ueberdom can't do anything about it :) . Of course I thought he was too good for her, but I didn't want them to split. Bummers...

ETA: Can he team up with Yana Khokhlova? :lol: They can represent Antarctica or Mauritius or Niue, whatever.Now that could be a team to behold ;)

Erin
06-03-2011, 04:06 PM
I think only Karen Routhier is a semi doable option.. :( The others are nowhere near his level..

Routhier would be my pick off of that list as well, although I have a vague recollection of her being the weaker partner with Saucke-Lacelle, so it would be tough, especially with her having a year off.

I think Findlay and Kirkland would both be too tall. Agree that Chock is a non-starter since neither skater would be released by their federation for years. Sitting out one year wouldn't be that bad, but I think it would be a lot longer than that to get released.

The one thing Paul does have on his side is his age...if he's willing to be a bit patient and find a girl with a lot of potential, he does have some time to wait for her to catch up to him. I think he is actually still age-eligible for juniors next year (turning 20 in November)...not that I think he'd want to go back to juniors, but it does put into perspective how young he is.

Mevrouw
06-03-2011, 04:08 PM
PJ Kwong Blog on talking with Paul Poirier (http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/)

HisWeirness
06-03-2011, 04:11 PM
^ Paul's key comments:

"We had a difficult Worlds and I know some people are going to think that this is about that. I can honestly say that isn't true. We are not quitters and we have never looked at a defeat as the end of the road. I can tell you it wasn't any one specific thing, but we just weren't moving in the same direction anymore."

He acknowledges that he started thinking about this once Worlds were over and they each had some time off. "This was not a decision that was months and months in the making. I embraced last season wholeheartedly but when I had a good think, I knew the decision was right."
In the not too distant future the hunt for a new partner begins which could extend across Canada and beyond: "I could be looking outside of Canadian borders. International partners are a lot more common than they used to be. I will be doing many tryouts to find out what will be best for me as a skater and as a person too -- not just a cold hearted athlete. Success is never at the cost of our happiness. I have to look around. I haven't even given it much thought...yet" He says that if he needs to sit out a year to create an international partnership, he accepts it as the price to pay.

manhn
06-03-2011, 04:14 PM
From PJ's article:

"I could be looking outside of Canadian borders. International partners are a lot more common than they used to be. I will be doing many tryouts to find out what will be best for me as a skater and as a person too -- not just a cold hearted athlete. Success is never at the cost of our happiness.I have to look around. I haven't even given it much thought...yet" He says that if he needs to sit out a year to create an international partnership, he accepts it as the price to pay.

Hopefully, Skate Canada is encouraging him to seek out partners from other countries.

equatorial
06-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Nora Hoffman? I'm clutching at straws here, I know.

Cherub721
06-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Nora Hoffman? I'm clutching at straws here, I know.

Oh oh oh. :swoon:

equatorial
06-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Oh oh oh. :swoon:

How tall is she? Will they match? :lol: With her exuberant sexuality and his demure attitude, it could be a great pair. And at last Nora would get a partner who is well-matched with her technically :)

clarie
06-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I would be disappointed if he skated under another flag. I hope he finds a partner here in Canada............there must be someone who's a good match.

equatorial
06-03-2011, 04:24 PM
I would be disappointed if he skated under another flag. I hope he finds a partner here in Canada............there must be someone who's a good match.

I wouldn't. If he were a Russian and partnerless, I'd be glad if he could find someone abroad. He is really exceptional. My love for FS is greater than my patriotism :lol:

Cherub721
06-03-2011, 04:25 PM
How tall is she? Will they match? :lol:

Who cares? They have the potential to be hotter than Gerboldt/Enbert. :lol: I would love to see Nora with a good partner, finally.

Dragonlady
06-03-2011, 04:27 PM
^
He's only about 5' 7". And a wonderful ice dancer. So a new dance partner, please!

He's taller than that - about 5' 11". We're eye to eye when he's in his street shoes.

equatorial
06-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Who cares? They have the potential to be hotter than Gerboldt/Enbert. :lol: I would love to see Nora with a good partner, finally.

He is 176 and she is 170 :( Zavozin is 179.