PDA

View Full Version : Kim Yu-na's TV Show Struggles in the Ratings

Pages : [1] 2 3

Iceman
06-01-2011, 04:27 PM
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/06/01/2011060101061.html

Sylvia
06-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Youtube links to an episode of this show are in this post of the Yu-Na news thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3190951&postcount=429

RD
06-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Wow, that's not something I would have guessed.

caseyedwards
06-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Not even Kim Yuna can make a skating competition show popular in South Korea! Amazing.

personwhoishere
06-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Well, guess nobody can be good at everything...

seabm7
06-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I think it is too early to decide whether her show is a success or a failure. SBS has been struggling for this particular time slot anyway. The competing shows at the other channels are extreamly popular in Korea. I think SBS already knew the fact it cannot be the number one show given the situation. They may be just trying to improve their rating at best.

julieann
06-01-2011, 11:48 PM
I watched all the links even though I didn't understand a word but I can see how people might be getting sick of seeing her.

Doubletoe
06-02-2011, 12:49 AM
So maybe even Koreans only like to watch GOOD skaters skate? :lol:

JamieSix
06-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Hm, if I was in Korea, my sole viewing should help the ratings. :D

luCN
06-02-2011, 02:32 AM
I think everyone will understand the situation after watch one.It's just like Skate with the stars,and even worse...boring and flat...

riveredge
06-02-2011, 03:46 AM
I watched all the links even though I didn't understand a word but I can see how people might be getting sick of seeing her.

this one proves that Koreans are more interested if Yuna is competing. no buts. no ifs. It mentioned in the article..this years Worlds where she competed, it drew 40% range(it was number 1 for SBS) well...it looks like yuna will continue competing. if she doesn't, figure skating will die in Korea. unfortunately.

RunnersHigh
06-02-2011, 05:30 AM
The rating, 8.1~10.5%, is not something. But OTOH, it's not nothing where skating had been nothing for a long time. ;)

"I am a Singer" on MBC, 14%, is sensationally popular here in Korea - the program is something like a survival stage where Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Eminem and Justin Bieber is competing. :lol: All the papers, magazines and sites are talking about the program. But it's rating is just about one and a half or two times more than the-unheard-and-unseen-mere figure skating program. :cool:

"Qualifications of Men" on KBS, 6.6~9.2%, also is a long-lived good program. I also love this program but I couldn't see it live so I watch this on IPTV later.

Anyway, as someone said above, the program is on and on. I mean this is not the time whether some say it is success or not. As a skating fan, I think broadcasting the program at the prime time on weekend itself is a big success.

sratin
06-02-2011, 05:55 AM
I think it is too early to make a rash decision of the rating. The program has only just started. And the last program was like rerun........

julieann
06-02-2011, 06:06 AM
It also looks like it was thrown together on a whim with not much thought.

Japanfan
06-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Pundits say the reason "Kiss and Cry" failed is a lack of excitement. "Figure skating is not a sport that is enjoyed by the general public, and the concept of having 10 celebrities compete after being paired with 10 professional figure skaters can easily become boring," one expert said.

This.

There is a limit to how far it is possible to stretch Yunah's fame.

Figure skating and reality TV don't always go together that well. 'Skating with the Stars' type shows have bombed in North America, barring Battle of the Blades, which appeals to hockey fans. I think they've done okay in Russia - don't know about Japan - as for Korea, probably most of the celebrity skaters are unknown to the public.