PDA

View Full Version : Joey Russell announces retirement

Pages : [1] 2

Spazactaz
05-31-2011, 09:45 PM
http://www.skating.nf.ca/?p=3801

Kind of sad that he's leaving... but it's amazing how much he has accomplished! I competed against him at our first nationals way back in the day, hah. So best wishes to him!!

AragornElessar
05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
That's a shame as I've always enjoyed his skating. It's is truly amazing when you think of where his Hometown is, that he reached the achievements in Skating that he did.

Best of luck Newfie Boy (our nickname for him in this house and has nothing but deep affection behind it.) in whatever you decide to do next in your life!! :)

BittyBug
05-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Best wishes to him. He was a very stylish skater.

julieann
05-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Very nice letter :)

overedge
05-31-2011, 11:14 PM
Great that he got to go to Worlds to finish off his career! And he was also very inspirational to skaters from smaller provinces and regionals. He can be very proud of what he accomplished.

ioana
05-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Very nice letter :)

It really was -nice of him to thank all the volunteers!

With Shawn's retirement announcement a few months earlier, now Joey's and Jeremy Ten out for a good part of the season with a broken bone, the Canadian team will be very different next year. Then again, if this means skaters like Liam Firus have a better chance of competing in Sr internationals, that's not entirely a bad thing.

Since 2 of the skaters who placed in the top 5 at nationals in 2011 retired does that mean the next finishers are now in line to receive Skate Canada funding, or are these things non-transferable?

blue_idealist
05-31-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm kind of sad about Joey's retirement. It seemed like his career just kind of was taking off for me. Well, taking off in a way.. I know he wasn't thought of as the next world medalist or anything. Btw Shawn hasn't officially announced his retirement to SC yet.
I'm still holding out hope. I didn't know JTen was going to be out still next season. :(

MikiAndoFan#1
05-31-2011, 11:45 PM
:( I wish him the best.

skatesindreams
05-31-2011, 11:55 PM
What a thoughtful and classy announcement.
All the best to him, whatever his future choices are.

minuet
06-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Best wishes to Joey in his future plans. He mentioned at the AGM skating professionally for a year on a cruise ship and then looking at continuing his education. He also mentioned an interest in choreography which I think he could be very successful with.

Aaron W
06-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Hope he's able to have future successes in whatever endeavors he undertakes. I had a rather positive impression of him after seeing his skating in person at the 2007 Canadians. It was his first senior nationals and he skated quite well. I especially enjoyed seeing him landing triple/triples with the second jump being a 3loop. Very impressive.

WildRose
06-01-2011, 12:34 AM
What a beautiful letter. Newfoundland & Labrador should be very proud of their boy. I have always enjoyed his skating and it's nice to hear that he will remain involved with the sport.

JasperBoy
06-01-2011, 01:39 AM
That's a surprise. I thought he was just getting started!
Good luck to Joey in his future endeavours.

seabm7
06-01-2011, 02:01 AM
Jeremy Ten out for a good part of the season with a broken bone,
WHEN did it happen? If I remember correctly, Jeremy Ten had a foot surgery just a few months ago. What a series of bad luck for him. :(

mag
06-01-2011, 02:03 AM
WHEN did it happen? If I remember correctly, Jeremy Ten had a foot surgery just a few months ago. What a series of bad luck for him. :(

He was on crutches during Nationals but I'm pretty sure he was walking just fine at the BC/YT AGM a few weeks back. I suppose walking doesn't mean he can be skating or even jumping ...