PDA

View Full Version : Midnight in Paris - new from Woody Allen

Pages : 1 2 [3]

IceAlisa
07-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Saw the movie last night. Loved it.

modern_muslimah
07-04-2011, 12:28 AM
You can, trust me! I didn't think I could. :)

I second this. He's [Owen Wilson] not my cup of tea but he was so endearing in the movie. I saw it yesterday and I absolutely loved it. It was a charming film and I laughed throughout.

I am really glad that I decided to see this alone instead of going to see Transformers with dh. I'm sure I wouldn't have liked that nearly as much.

Vash01
07-04-2011, 03:24 AM
I found the first half very boring. It picked up after that and became enjoyable. So I thought it was good but not great. Definitely did not 'love' it. The fact that I could sympathize with Owen Wilson's character says a lot (positive) about the director. I did not like Rachael McAdams character at all.

michiruwater
07-04-2011, 05:28 AM
I really, really loved this film. It was lighthearted and charming. Rachel McAdams was miscast but everyone else was spot-on and Marion Cotillard is just gorgeous.

Allen
07-04-2011, 05:32 AM
I'm in agreement with those that found Rachel McAdams miscast. Otherwise, I loved the film. A fine return to form for Woody Allen.

IceAlisa
07-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Why do you guys think Rachael McAdams was miscast? I thought she did a fine job (a caricature of a role, but weren't a lot of them like that?)

michiruwater
07-04-2011, 03:21 PM
There's something about McAdams that is inherently likeable. You want to like her. Having her play a character with no real redeeming qualities was jarring and took away from the film every time she was onscreen. Plus, as others said, it was quite unbelievable that Owen Wilson's character would ever have been with such a total bitch. There wasn't a single moment where she did something that made me think, oh, okay, that's why he likes her.

IceAlisa
07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Rachel McAdams has always played likable women, barring Mean Girls which she did extremely well.

I thought she did very well in this case too. Perhaps because people aren't really used to her in this role with that one exception, it's harder to stomach.

I don't think it's unbelievable at all. People get with all kinds of people that are totally wrong for them all the time. Plus, Rachel's character is pretty and pretty girls get away with more.

Vagabond
07-04-2011, 03:58 PM
I thought there was something unbelievable about almost the whole contemporary storyline and characters (the exceptions being Gil and his interactions with the two Frenchwomen he meets). I felt kind of the same way about the American characters and their storylines in "Vicky Christina Barcelona." Also, there's something very wrong with the way the director has the cinematographers shoot modern-day Paris. There is too much light in this City of Light.

The scenes in which Gil is transported back to the past, on the other hand, are spot on: Hemingway talking like a character in a Hemingway novel, the Surrealists speaking surrealistically, Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald and so many others exactly the way you might imagine them, and, of course, Marion Cotillard's wonderful Adriana. :swoon:

michiruwater
07-04-2011, 04:01 PM
In Mean Girls she was still extremely likeable and very funny. In MIP, she was just off-putting.

IceAlisa
07-04-2011, 04:12 PM
I thought she was rather :EVILLE: in Mean Girls but also very charming.

I thought there was something unbelievable about almost the whole contemporary storyline and characters (the exceptions being Gil and his interactions with the two Frenchwomen he meets). I felt kind of the same way about the American characters and their storylines in "Vicky Christina Barcelona." Also, there's something very wrong with the way the director has the cinematographers shoot modern-day Paris. There is too much light in this City of Light.

The scenes in which Gil is transported back to the past, on the other hand, are spot on: Hemingway talking like a character in a Hemingway novel, the Surrealists speaking surrealistically, Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald and so many others exactly the way you might imagine them, and, of course, Marion Cotillard's wonderful Adriana. :swoon:

That's interesting because I thought things were the other way around. While there was a certain amount of caricature in most modern day characters, I thought they had nothing on the artists. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing as it agreed with our collective cultural perception of them and thus was familiar and entertaining.

Vash01
07-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I really, really loved this film. It was lighthearted and charming. Rachel McAdams was miscast but everyone else was spot-on and Marion Cotillard is just gorgeous.

I agree about Marion Cotillard. She was absolutely beautiful and charming. I normally like Rachel McAdams, so it was a bit of a shock that she played that character. I kept thinking that perhaps something nice about her would surface at some point. It didn't.

cailuj365
07-05-2011, 02:57 AM
Really charming movie. I liked it a lot. I didn't find Rachel McAdams' character to be dislikable, but then again, her personality reminded me of my mother's. :lol: My friend who I was watching the film with said that he would have preferred that the PI storyline not have happened, leaving it a mystery as to whether the flashback scenes were actually real or not. I think I would have preferred that too.