PDA

View Full Version : Russia urges ISU to lift ban on figure-skater Plushchenko

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

senorita
06-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Someone asked some posts ago what Ciquanta has said about reinstatement.
http://www.rg.ru/2010/10/19/sport.html

Journalist: How will you react if Plushenko appeals to his national figure skating federation, and the federation in turn appeals to the ISU, with a request to return to him the status of amateur skater?

Ottavio Cinquanta: My duty as the president is to follow the common sense of the rules. There are a couple of “ifs” here. If the figure skater writes such a letter, if your federation supports it, if we are sure that the athlete wants to continue training, competing at official competitions and takes it all seriously, then it’s one story where we can offer support. But if Mr. Plushenko says, “I don’t know, maybe I will skate for another year,” why then in that case should we support him? Do you see the difference? I want to be honest with you, with Plushenko and with your figure skating federation, which has done quite a lot for the ISU. Is Plushenko finishing his sports career? The pilot of “Formula One” Shumaher has finished his career, but he also wants to come back. What if Mark Spitz, who won seven gold medals in 1972, has this same idea? It’s clearly too late for him. From a legal point of view Plushenko’s return is possible. But here is the important part: how serious are Evgeni’s intentions? Let him tell that to his figure skating federation and they will relate it to ISU.

Even more recent was the worlds 2011 interview (http://ascology.com/news/sports/11226-Figure-skating-Banned-Plushenko-set-for-ISU-reprieve.html)

"For me, for what Plushenko has given to the ISU, I can not mentioned enough the name of Plushenko," Cinquanta said during a press conference in which he heaped praise on the Russian quad maestro.

"At the moment he's out but the ISU have good rules. If he writes a letter through the (Russian) federation then the ISU can decide to reinstate Plushenko," added the ISU president.

I think Ciquanta''s intentions are more clear in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Lc9kgbKkI):cold: (bonus Shabalin:swoon:)

ciocio
06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I think Ciquanta''s intentions are more clear in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Lc9kgbKkI):cold: (bonus Shabalin:swoon:)

Can someone "translate" what they say????? :D What is Cinquanta counting?:confused:

senorita
06-03-2011, 10:25 AM
^the rubles? :P

antmanb
06-03-2011, 10:59 AM
They are athletes, not spokesmodels. I'm sorry you feel some athletes haven't been properly trained to keep their feeling in check after they have trained their whole lives for one monent that may have not worked out the way they have pictured it. He did act like a kind of a baby when Evan won, he didn't accept his medal, he thew it down on the ground, he cried during the national anthem and left before it was over....very disrepectful!

Hysterical hyperbole and putting words in other people's mouths will always help to make one's argument stronger :rolleyes:

senorita
06-03-2011, 11:03 AM
^ you went to the dark side again? :p ;)

he didn't accept his medal, he thew it down on the ground, he cried during the national anthem and left before it was over!

now that would have been ..FUN!:saint:

Ozzisk8tr
06-03-2011, 11:05 AM
They are athletes, not spokesmodels. I'm sorry you feel some athletes haven't been properly trained to keep their feeling in check after they have trained their whole lives for one monent that may have not worked out the way they have pictured it. He did act like a kind of a baby when Evan won, he didn't accept his medal, he thew it down on the ground, he cried during the national anthem and left before it was over....very disrepectful!

Well I didn't know he did that. He totally doesn't deserve to be reinstated in that case. He deserves to be drawn and quartered, then sent to Tom Z for lessons, with programs choreographed by Robin Wagner.
(Joke for everyone else on the board... except julieann)

senorita
06-03-2011, 11:11 AM
^ :rofl::rofl: LOL !!!

AND shave his head, no? :D ;)

Ozzisk8tr
06-03-2011, 11:14 AM
^ :rofl::rofl: LOL !!!

AND shave his head, no? :D ;)

Isn't he like Sampson? Cut his mullet and he will only be able to do doubles.

senorita
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Worse! Sampson didnt even do singles!:rollin:

antmanb
06-03-2011, 11:48 AM
^ you went to the dark side again? :p ;)

:lol: Actually for the first time ever I find myself excited to see what shape he's in and his new programmes (i enjoyed the gala programmes that were linked earlier in the year :eek:).

What I am totally completely and utterly over is hysterical rehashings of Vancouver! It was beyond boring in the weeks that followed and since it's been 14 or more months it's even worse!

Mafke
06-03-2011, 12:33 PM
He deserves ... programs choreographed by Robin Wagner

That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment .... for both of them.

I have to admit though that I'm a little morbidly curious about just wht the resulting trainwreck would look like.

MissIzzy
06-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Had he done that, it's likely he would have been stripped of his medal and banned from the Olympics for life. They did that in 2008 to a wrestler who actually did throw his bronze medal down. Just pointing that out.:slinkaway
Though I wonder if this really is equal opportunity. Sure, anyone can *apply* to be reinstated, but how many skaters would actually be granted it? Seems to be Plushenko's got a leg up there.

misskarne
06-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Someone asked some posts ago what Ciquanta has said about reinstatement.
http://www.rg.ru/2010/10/19/sport.html

Even more recent was the worlds 2011 interview (http://ascology.com/news/sports/11226-Figure-skating-Banned-Plushenko-set-for-ISU-reprieve.html)

Thankyou senorita, I've been looking for those.

I'll be interested to see how the program he's working on with Zhulin turns out. Apparently he's got five or six options for his competitive programs this season :eek:

julieann
06-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Well I didn't know he did that. He totally doesn't deserve to be reinstated in that case. He deserves to be drawn and quartered, then sent to Tom Z for lessons, with programs choreographed by Robin Wagner.
(Joke for everyone else on the board... except julieann)

Lol! Some people really think he did that that? Did they actually watch? Strange all those people who feel he doesn't have the right to say how he feels are on a message board...how ironic. :rollin:

Dripping with sarcasm :rolleyes:

senorita
06-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Though I wonder if this really is equal opportunity. Sure, anyone can *apply* to be reinstated, but how many skaters would actually be granted it? Seems to be Plushenko's got a leg up there.

ANyone can apply if he has fallen in the case number i) that Plushenko is, the rest two cases (ii) and iii) ) dont leave room for application and reinstatement if the eligibility is taken. If ISU when made rules left room for application i think it was for a reason.
I think all skaters would have been granted it because if you look from a distance and in comparisson to other sports , skating in a show without permission woud cause ban for life from a sport? I mean it takes really serious accusation to be banned for life instead of punished and they were not found dopped, did an insulting action , killed a judge etc...etc ...