PDA

View Full Version : Russia urges ISU to lift ban on figure-skater Plushchenko

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

reflect
06-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Actually didn't Tood Eldridge face the same thing a few years back? IIRC, he had to either skate the shows and lose his eligibility or not to the shows. He wasn't happy; I think that is when he retired.

IMO, if the ISU lets Plushenko skate in the Olympics, it's a slap in the face to all the other skaters that went through proper channels to get permission to skate in various non-sanctioned events. IMO, he's won gold twice, he has nothing left to prove. I understand he wants to skate at his home Olympics but he should have verified that all would be good and when things weren't, then, he should have backed out. Since shows are announced quite a bit in advance, there should have been quite a bit of time for him to arrange everything.

the other skaters won't be slapped because they can do the same thing under the same situation: lose their eligibility and apply to regain it.

when did plushy win gold twice:confused:

Ozzisk8tr
06-01-2011, 07:28 PM
the other skaters won't be slapped because they can do the same thing under the same situation: lose their eligibility and apply to regain it.

I think it was just before he woke up one morning.

professordeb
06-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm all for Plushy coming back ...
and getting HIS ass handed to him by the young guns ;)

Really though, as hard as he may work I have difficulty seeing him being able to compete for even a spot on the podium in Sochi. There are so many good young skaters who can do it all and they will be competing while in their prime by the time we get to Sochi. Evgeni, OTOH, will be that much older and have to cope with it all. I don't doubt that he can keep up mentally but physically, I just don't know. That being said, I hope that once he does begin to compete, that the judges actually mark him based upon his skating and not on reputation - much like the signals it seemed he received before going to Vancouver.

Regardless, I wish him well - in his training, his competitions and his family like. He's earned it.

Vash01
06-01-2011, 08:09 PM
well,I don't think he comes back mainly for winning...

I've many guesses,one of them is like Yagudin said
"As for Evgeni, I just think he didnít find himself in this different world. He knows how to do figure skating. And he knows it really-really well. But he doesnít know who he is besides figure skating. "
http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2011alexeiyagudin

How many of us really know ourselves outside our small spheres? Why should Plush or anyone else be any different?

Japanfan
06-01-2011, 11:16 PM
So has Plush said that if he is reinstated he will return to competition next season?

It's a long way to go till Sochi and training until then will be a lot of wear and tear for him. He was crushed not to win the OGM and I can't imagine him happily continuing without dominating the field.

If he's aiming for the OGM in Sochi, it would make more sense to come back just for the 2013/2014 season.

Aussie Willy
06-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Well he thinks he won gold twice. It was those Eville judges who didn't give it to him the second time. :D

senorita
06-01-2011, 11:40 PM
^the same evil judges who thought Daisuke didnt have the best sp of the night..
have you asked him and you know he thinks he won gold twice?
Because I have had and he said the second was bright silver :p

julieann
06-01-2011, 11:40 PM
If he's aiming for the OGM in Sochi, it would make more sense to come back just for the 2013/2014 season.

That didn't work to well for him in Canada did it? He should have trained more. I think he finally has the right idea for 2014, it's closer than you realize.

reflect
06-02-2011, 02:07 AM

well, when i asked the question, i just thought somebody made a mistake in the post......but seems there may be superhuman abilities to know another person thought:P

luCN
06-02-2011, 02:19 AM
^ This is Plushy's dilema. He has a reputation and self-image that he needs to protect. All other skaters in the competition accept that they might or might not win and all they can do is there best even if they do not win.

I think he accept the result of the 2002 olympics,and those worlds.He didn't have problems to accept faillure.

I don't think he really think he is the gold medal,just his fans insist it and repeat it to make everyone think that way...

MacMadame
06-02-2011, 02:20 AM
I believe Plushenko will be reinstated MacMadame. It is possible to find many reasons: the Russian federation did not follow procedure in alerting him, the ISU unreasonably withheld sanction for his participation in the show etc. I don't exactly remember the circumstances, but a less important skater might not have been punished for withdrawing from the post-Olympic Worlds and skating in a show (not a pro competition) anyway. I don't remember this happening to any other skater before.
The problem I see is precedent. The ISU doesn't want to set one that will open the flood gates of ineligible skaters applying for reinstatement and maybe even suing if they don't get it. If they can give him back his eligibility without doing that, I think they might. But I'm not getting my hopes up because they haven't done it before.

:wall: :wall:
I think all that head-banging has addled your brains.

Cinquantta has already said he'll get it! I think you're just taking your Plushenko-hate to the point beyond denial.
First, show me where Cinquanta has been quoted as saying he'll get it. All I see is RSSF trying to maneuver ISU into giving it back. In that article you tell me to read, there isn't a single quote from anyone in the ISU. It just says RSSF wants ISU to give Plushy his eligibility back.

Second, I am a Plushy fan and have been since 1998. I adore his skating and was happy he came back for 2010. You might not realize that but I also have stated in this thread that I thought his losing his eligibility was bogus. But apparently anyone who isn't 100% certain he'll get his eligibility back is a hater. :rolleyes:

I suspect you only think I'm a hater because you are an uber who is taking your uberdom beyond denial. ;) I am just being realistic and trying to have a discussion about whether or not the ISU will reinstate him that isn't based on what I want but on reality.

luCN
06-02-2011, 02:24 AM
How many of us really know ourselves outside our small spheres? Why should Plush or anyone else be any different?

well~I just take it as one possiblity,not said it's true~

but I think a skater from the same country who have a long time rivalry with him maybe know him better than everyone here~

luCN
06-02-2011, 02:27 AM
a very interesting quote from Johnny Weir about Plushenko and people always think the opposite of Plushenko-Evan Lysacek:

``Evgeny is a very different person than me,'' Weir said. ``He will fight like a dog for medals, which is also something I admired in Evan.

``I was more about performance than points. I'm more artist-athlete than athlete-artist. I would want to come back and make people cheer and cry. I missed my chance at a medal in 2006; that was my time to shine. Maybe if I came back without that pressure, I could just enjoy the journey.''

reflect
06-02-2011, 02:39 AM
I think he accept the result of the 2002 olympics,and those worlds.He didn't have problems to accept faillure.

I don't think he really think he is the gold medal,just his fans insist it and repeat it to make everyone think that way...

you may know all the plushy fans and are quite clear about their oppinion, but let me make it more precise like "many/some/a few fans insist blablabla....." -- a conclusion which can be used everywhere and hard for others to oppose:D

riveredge
06-02-2011, 04:06 AM
I don't have a problem seeing Plushy again..he's an incredible skater.. it will be more interesting;)