PDA

View Full Version : Russia urges ISU to lift ban on figure-skater Plushchenko

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

misskarne
06-01-2011, 12:17 PM
He can apply but it's unlikely he'll get it. Which, IMO, is why I think he hasn't applied and why we are getting all these news articles about it. People are playing politics in the public arena trying to soften up the ISU.

But continue to beat your head against the wall because someone disagrees with you. ;)

:wall: :wall:

Cinquantta has already said he'll get it! I think you're just taking your Plushenko-hate to the point beyond denial.

And he HAS applied, which you would know if you bothered to read the article properly. He's applied to the RFSF who will apply on his behalf to the ISU at their next meeting. Cinquantta has made it clear that the ISU will not counter it. Plushenko will be reinstated and skate next season.

Why? What´s the point to give a skater the opportunity to apply but to deny him the reinstatement? Cinquanta encourged him personally to send the request to his Federation and to ISU.
Since you suggest that ISU will reject the request, maybe you can also tell us the reasons, because the rules don´t specify them.

Exactly.

You're not a competitor if you don't think that way. Otherwise, why enter the competition. There are skaters who skate and there are skaters who compete to win. He's a competitor. Enough of one he came from being way out of shape in little over a year to winning a second silver medal at the Olympics and very nearly another gold. I'm not a particular fan of his skating, but I admire that spirit and would cheer if won gold in Sochi.

+10000 for everything in this post! (Except the "not a particular fan of his skating" but each to their own! ;))

I don't mind his being reinstated in this case. It's not like he had taken illegal substances, or even participated in a professional competition. Actually I think in some ways he does the sport good. Men's jump content was going downhill and his participation in the Olympics pushed them to work more on their quads and 4+3's IMO. Maybe this had an effect on this year's much higher jump content.

THIS, exactly!

luCN
06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Wyliefan
Maybe I'm being unfair -- okay, more than likely I'm being unfair -- but sometimes I get the impression that he thinks no one but himself should ever win Olympic gold.

no,I think it's his fans.

senorita
06-01-2011, 01:34 PM
^really?
I think it is just you.

Proustable
06-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Why? What´s the point to give a skater the opportunity to apply but to deny him the reinstatement? Cinquanta encourged him personally to send the request to his Federation and to ISU.
Since you suggest that ISU will reject the request, maybe you can also tell us the reasons, because the rules don´t specify them.

:watch:

Yep. This thread alone is worth it, regardless of whether Plushenko gets reinstated. I hope he does, though. If was misskarne said is correct, his ban was ridiculous in the first place. I would've loved to see this go to the CAS, but I recognize the reason it didn't.

leafygreens
06-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I may have missed something here because I didn't read all the pages, but why would someone be banned from competition because they skate in an unsanctioned event? I know it has been done this way for years, but what is the purpose? I'm not a Plushy fan but I think he should be allowed to compete if he wants to. Like Asli said, it's not like he took drugs.

bardtoob
06-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I know it has been done this way for years, but what is the purpose?

The same purpose that it has always been, so the ISU can have a monopoly on Olympic Eligibile Skaters and the Olympic dream, in the past as amateurs supported by their parents or the state and in the present as professionals under contact to which they can only be released on loan in order to maintain their eligibility.

. . . It kind of reminds me of actors being in contract with studios during the old studio system.

. . . At least now talented skaters can develop with hopes that their development will pay for the cost of development rather than being shut out if one is not wealthy.

julieann
06-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure why anyone cares if he skates or not. So he doesn't win another gold medal (highly unlikely) and always finishes behind Chan., so what; does than mean every skater who can't beat Chan or win gold shouldn't be allowed to try? Chan and others are beatable, Skate Canada aside. Plushchenko can beat most men in the world and if you don't want to watch him skate, take a fridge break while he is on.

bardtoob
06-01-2011, 05:21 PM
^ This is Plushy's dilema. He has a reputation and self-image that he needs to protect. All other skaters in the competition accept that they might or might not win and all they can do is there best even if they do not win.

reflect
06-01-2011, 05:50 PM
^ This is Plushy's dilema. He has a reputation and self-image that he needs to protect. All other skaters in the competition accept that they might or might not win and all they can do is there best even if they do not win.

then why does he insist in competition? he can maintain the reputation and self-image if he quit last year or now, after watching Chan's performance in Moscow.
Euro Gold and Olympic Silver is a decent ending and the ban from ISU is a good excuse.

overedge
06-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Chan and others are beatable, Skate Canada aside.

:rolleyes: GMAFB. In case you haven't noticed, it's quite common for non-Canadian skaters to win medals at Skate Canada. Enough with this "ooh, Skate Canada is the most biased competition ever" crap.

peibeck
06-01-2011, 06:26 PM
well,I don't think he comes back mainly for winning...

I've many guesses,one of them is like Yagudin said
"As for Evgeni, I just think he didn’t find himself in this different world. He knows how to do figure skating. And he knows it really-really well. But he doesn’t know who he is besides figure skating. "
http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2011alexeiyagudin

This would be a bit sad if it is true. I understand a lot of athletes who have trained for years and years at just their sport have a hard time adapting, but eventually they are going to have to enter the "real" world eventually. In such a demanding physical sport like figure skating, one hopes the athlete doesn't completely ruin their body before that happens.

Cheylana
06-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure why anyone cares if he skates or not. So he doesn't win another gold medal (highly unlikely) and always finishes behind Chan., so what; does than mean every skater who can't beat Chan or win gold shouldn't be allowed to try? Chan and others are beatable, Skate Canada aside. Plushchenko can beat most men in the world and if you don't want to watch him skate, take a fridge break while he is on.
I agree with this (though if Plush is reinstated I will probably need to grease the hinges of my own refrigerator at some point :EVILLE:)

ciocio
06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
C'mon, it's not like Chan were the worst skater in the world and it'a a shame to finish behind him!!!!:slinkaway

julieann
06-01-2011, 06:58 PM
:rolleyes: GMAFB. In case you haven't noticed, it's quite common for non-Canadian skaters to win medals at Skate Canada.

I'm sure you have mis-interpreted my post :rolleyes:, what I meant was, it was laughable for Chan to win Skate Canada in 2010 but he did (for what ever reason the judges had.) It has nothing to do with him personally or him being Canadian it was about the judging. If Plushenko won there I wouldn't think twice about it and I would not be surprised if he didn't. If Chan won everything for the next 5 years I wouldn't be surprised either, but even the 2011 World Mens Champion can be beat.

That was the propose of my post, Plushenko should have the right to try.

Enough with this "ooh, Skate Canada is the most biased competition ever" crap

Don't be so touchy with Skate Canada, the judging at last year the mens competition was a joke, hopefully it won't happen this year.

lise
06-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Actually didn't Tood Eldridge face the same thing a few years back? IIRC, he had to either skate the shows and lose his eligibility or not to the shows. He wasn't happy; I think that is when he retired.

IMO, if the ISU lets Plushenko skate in the Olympics, it's a slap in the face to all the other skaters that went through proper channels to get permission to skate in various non-sanctioned events. IMO, he's won gold twice, he has nothing left to prove. I understand he wants to skate at his home Olympics but he should have verified that all would be good and when things weren't, then, he should have backed out. Since shows are announced quite a bit in advance, there should have been quite a bit of time for him to arrange everything.