PDA

View Full Version : Russia urges ISU to lift ban on figure-skater Plushchenko

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

olifaunt
06-01-2011, 06:24 AM
No, you don't.

There's no need to be rude. I might have phrased that badly, though; what I meant is that his work ethic is admirable, as is the fact that he chose to go out and fight again rather than rest on his laurels. I doubt he's arrogant enough to deny that it's more than possible for Chan and/or Kozuka to overtake him, and he's going to fight as hard as he can to stay on top.

entire post

Agreed, for the most part. Though I think that, even if he isn't winning, he'll stick around as long as he thinks he'll be useful. If he's consistently in the position to be, say, 2-8 at worlds, he's a safeguard for Russia's 2-3 spots in case Gachinski (or whoever else makes the world team next year) has a bad day.

overedge
06-01-2011, 06:29 AM
There's no need to be rude. I might have phrased that badly, though; what I meant is that his work ethic is admirable, as is the fact that he chose to go out and fight again rather than rest on his laurels.

How do you know those are his reasons?

kwanfan1818
06-01-2011, 06:36 AM
While the rules talk about reinstatement, that clause is in there for people to come back as judges and officials. There were several periods where former eligible skaters were allowed to apply for reinstatement to get their eligibility back to skate but those windows are now closed. I don't believe Plushenko has an option to apply for reinstatement at this point unless he wants to become a technical controller or something (which would be awesome in it's own way).
That is not the way the current rule is written. There were three cases, one of which involved officials and two of which involved skaters. Only one case very specifically allowed reinstatement, and that was one of the skaters' cases, and it is the scenario under which he lost eligibility.

There is no exception being made for Plushenko. The Russian Federation has the right to apply for reinstatement under the clause that allows this, and ISU has the right to review the application for reinstatement made by the Russian Fed. The ISU can decide any way they see fit.

Plushenko had gained weight after his win in Torino, and he was not training for competition when he decided to make a comeback for Vancouver. He lost weight as quickly as he could and did an accelerated training program. I think for Vancouver he ran out of time, and had he started three to six months before, he would likely have been a repeat Olympic champion in 2010.

His approach for Sochi is long-term. I am guardedly optimistic that with a more reasonable training schedule working to peak in Sochi, that he'll be stronger than in Vancouver and has a very good shot at the podium.

olifaunt
06-01-2011, 06:37 AM
How do you know those are his reasons?

:confused: He likes skating and competing and (like every human being in the history of the planet) winning. What other reasons could he have?

MacMadame
06-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Considering it has been expressly stated by the ISU, RFSF, Plushenko, Mishin, everyone under the freaking sun that he has the option of applying for reinstatement...

He can apply but it's unlikely he'll get it. Which, IMO, is why I think he hasn't applied and why we are getting all these news articles about it. People are playing politics in the public arena trying to soften up the ISU.

But continue to beat your head against the wall because someone disagrees with you. ;)

caseyedwards
06-01-2011, 07:07 AM
My view of that is you are taking Plushenko's not applying for the 2010-2011 too seriously! Even though he was scheduled for 2010 CoR I doubt he would have went even if he didn't lose eligibility. The wheels of applying for reinstatement are in motion.

ciocio
06-01-2011, 07:12 AM
He can apply but it's unlikely he'll get it. Which, IMO, is why I think he hasn't applied and why we are getting all these news articles about it. People are playing politics in the public arena trying to soften up the ISU.

But continue to beat your head against the wall because someone disagrees with you. ;)

Why? Whatīs the point to give a skater the opportunity to apply but to deny him the reinstatement? Cinquanta encourged him personally to send the request to his Federation and to ISU.
Since you suggest that ISU will reject the request, maybe you can also tell us the reasons, because the rules donīt specify them.

ciocio
06-01-2011, 07:26 AM
LOL he was beaten in technical marks by LYSACEK in Vancouver. Of course he is technically inferior to Chan at this point his career, Chan is doing quads and triples much better than the ones Plushenko was doing in Vancouver, and his spins and footwork are at a whole other level at this point. And who cares about consistency since Chan could afford atleast 4 falls and still be able to beat Plushenko if Plushenko is at his Vancouver level (which he will probably be worse than as he continues to age on an already injured and battered body). Kozuka skating as he did in the Worlds LP would blow away Plushenko from Vancouver in atleast the LP phase as well. And for the record I dont even like Chan and do like Plushenko but he would be dumb to come back if the main reason he is coming back is to win. If he is coming back for other reasons then it isnt so bad, but somehow I doubt that given his reactions to not winning in Vancouver.

Even if I agree that Chan and Kozuka are very strong skaters and it could be impossible for Plushenko to beat them, I notice that youīre predictions are based on the assumption that Chan and Kozuka will skate like they did this year or even better while Plushenko will skate like in Vancouver or even worse. Even more, that all skaters might improve until next season or Sochi, except Plushenko.
Probably youīre considering his age, thatīs why youīre so sure about the outcome, but I also remember how people were predicting Chanīs results based on the fact that he would never be able to add quads to his programs. Letīs give Plushenko a chance too. :)

IceAlisa
06-01-2011, 08:18 AM
:watch:

luCN
06-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by ItalianFan
What on earth would a competitive skater like Plushenko come back for if not to win???

well,I don't think he comes back mainly for winning...

I've many guesses,one of them is like Yagudin said
"As for Evgeni, I just think he didn’t find himself in this different world. He knows how to do figure skating. And he knows it really-really well. But he doesn’t know who he is besides figure skating. "
http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2011alexeiyagudin

Asli
06-01-2011, 08:42 AM

I believe Plushenko will be reinstated MacMadame. It is possible to find many reasons: the Russian federation did not follow procedure in alerting him, the ISU unreasonably withheld sanction for his participation in the show etc. I don't exactly remember the circumstances, but a less important skater might not have been punished for withdrawing from the post-Olympic Worlds and skating in a show (not a pro competition) anyway. I don't remember this happening to any other skater before.

I don't mind his being reinstated in this case. It's not like he had taken illegal substances, or even participated in a professional competition. Actually I think in some ways he does the sport good. Men's jump content was going downhill and his participation in the Olympics pushed them to work more on their quads and 4+3's IMO. Maybe this had an effect on this year's much higher jump content.

Ozzisk8tr
06-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Do I see a single tear rolling down his cheek?

No that's just the death in his soul.

senorita
06-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Afterall isn't the possibility of Plushy competing again a punishment for us all?:watch:us like human mankind?

ciocio
06-01-2011, 09:58 AM
:watch:us like human mankind?

Did you forget that Plushy caused the earthquake in Japan in order to move Worlds to Russia and force ISU to reinstate him????;)

rfisher
06-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Maybe I'm being unfair -- okay, more than likely I'm being unfair -- but sometimes I get the impression that he thinks no one but himself should ever win Olympic gold.

You're not a competitor if you don't think that way. Otherwise, why enter the competition. There are skaters who skate and there are skaters who compete to win. He's a competitor. Enough of one he came from being way out of shape in little over a year to winning a second silver medal at the Olympics and very nearly another gold. I'm not a particular fan of his skating, but I admire that spirit and would cheer if won gold in Sochi.