PDA

View Full Version : Russia urges ISU to lift ban on figure-skater Plushchenko

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21

rfisher
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Here is an interview about his reinstatement and surgery.
http://www.rg.ru/2011/06/15/plushenko.html

HeŽs fine, heŽs recovering in a clinic near Munich. He says heŽll skip Jaca camp and he hopes to attend the next camp, in Tallinn, but only for off-ice training.
It seems that the knee bothered him a lot last season and he went three times to Germany for treatment. Finally doctors advised him to undergo surgery.:(:fragile:

This type of surgery can be very successful. He just needs to pace himself. I don't think it's necessary that he wins Europeans or Worlds between now and 2014. There's no doubt what prize he and the Russian Fed have their eyes on. He'll easily beat anybody in the current Russian men's arsenal unless his clone makes a big push. And, if he did, good for him. Plushenko is an experienced competitor who knows his body. Every time the camera cut to him during the men's events at Worlds, he was focused on the ice. You didn't see him sleeping or looking bored. He knows what the current competition is like. It would be totally pointless for either the Chan ubers to diss Plushenko or the Plushenko ubers to diss Chan. Anything can happen over the next 3 years. I do think his entry into the game makes it much more interesting and will make men's (my 2nd least favorite discipline) skating more exciting. I am always cautiously optimistic about any World champion repeating or taking that momentum into the Olympics. History says that is usually not the case so I wouldn't be too confident if I were a Chan fan. I always watch Kozuka skate with held breath. He can do very well or he can blow the jumps. He is hardly a lock for a podium spot at any comp. But, what fun it will be to watch the various fan camps to implode before and after each competition. :watch:

ciocio
06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
This type of surgery can be very successful. He just needs to pace himself. I don't think it's necessary that he wins Europeans or Worlds between now and 2014. .......

YouŽre right, so much :drama::argue::revenge::soapbox::lynch: next season, it will be very exciting!!! :watch:
I hope Chanubers, Plushubers, Kozukaubers, wonŽt take things very seriously though, another skater can emerge by Sochi and spoil their party!!!!:lol: The most important is that everybody stays healthy.:)
Oh, Russian Natinonals will be very exciting too, Plushy1 vs Plushy2!!!:D;)

Nan
06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
This type of surgery can be very successful.

Didn't he have this done once before, years ago, or was it the other knee?

ciocio
06-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Didn't he have this done once before, years ago, or was it the other knee?

He did the same surgery in 2007 if I remember well, it was the other knee.

Vash01
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
It would be totally pointless for either the Chan ubers to diss Plushenko or the Plushenko ubers to diss Chan. Anything can happen over the next 3 years. I do think his entry into the game makes it much more interesting and will make men's (my 2nd least favorite discipline) skating more exciting. I am always cautiously optimistic about any World champion repeating or taking that momentum into the Olympics. History says that is usually not the case so I wouldn't be too confident if I were a Chan fan. I always watch Kozuka skate with held breath. He can do very well or he can blow the jumps. He is hardly a lock for a podium spot at any comp. But, what fun it will be to watch the various fan camps to implode before and after each competition. :watch:

I don't see a lot of Chan dissing from Plushy fans here; I see a lot of Plushy dissing, as usual, and you don't even have to be a Chan fan to do that on this board.:lol:

Seriously, I agree completely that anything can happen between now and 2014. Chan looked very good this year, particularly toward the end of the year, but there are never any guarantees. Kurt Browing is a classic example of what can happen to an overwhelming favorite at the Olympics. OTOH Scott Hamilton is an opposite example. I am just waiting to see the next exciting skater and make it an exciting Olympic competition in Sochi, and a few years before that. If Plushenko is able to skate at a high level, it will make the competition that much more interesting.

ItalianFan
06-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I am a technically unqualified skating fan who only re-discovered the sport as a spectator in Vancouver when I was totally hooked by Plushenko. After the Oly I watched every Plushenko video available. IMO a skater with such charisma--because -imo-- this is what truly sets him apart from the others- not just his skill, can only contribute positively to the sport. He attracts spectators and is a born performer, something that Chan still has to learn. How to perform, I mean, so far his exhibition programs have left me cold. Unfortunately you can't "learn" charisma.

senorita
06-15-2011, 05:03 PM
This type of surgery can be very successful. He just needs to pace himself.
the thread is about to derail but thanx for your input. :)Piseev said Plushenko will be back on ice in 2 weeks and it sounds too short time , but i dont know about these kind of surgeries.

Jaana
06-15-2011, 06:51 PM
He's already said he's working on the areas he was deficient in. And he's adding jumps to his arsenal - the quad salchow, the quad loop, and the quad lutz.

Not adding a quad axel?

nubka
06-15-2011, 07:16 PM
:lol:

Perhaps it be more accurate to say that he is hoping to add three new quads to his arsenal?

Nah - if Plushy says he's doing it, then it's done deal! :D :respec: :D

Daria
06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Double post

Daria
06-15-2011, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=misskarne;3208880]
He's already said he's working on the areas he was deficient in. And he's adding jumps to his arsenal - the quad salchow, the quad loop, and the quad lutz.

I believe he is doing these jumps in practice, in fact, many skaters do. But jump 3 different types of quads in competition is very hard and I don't think Plushy will attempt "suicide on ice". He will keep 4T and maybe 4S.

Sorry for double post.:lol:

AJ Skatefan
06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=Daria;3209501
I believe he is doing these jumps in practice, in fact, many skaters do. But jump 3 different types of quads in competition, is very hard and I don't think Plushy will attempt "suicide on ice". He will keep 4T and maybe 4S.

Sorry for double post.:lol:[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever even seen him do a quad Salchow in competition. Has he ever done it?

Eislauffan
06-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't think I've ever even seen him do a quad Salchow in competition. Has he ever done it?

I'm quite sure he did it at the Finlandia Trophy, but this was a few years ago. I remember him doing it there. He probably did it also in one of the national Cup of Russia series events.

Vash01
06-16-2011, 12:31 AM
I am a technically unqualified skating fan who only re-discovered the sport as a spectator in Vancouver when I was totally hooked by Plushenko. After the Oly I watched every Plushenko video available. IMO a skater with such charisma--because -imo-- this is what truly sets him apart from the others- not just his skill, can only contribute positively to the sport. He attracts spectators and is a born performer, something that Chan still has to learn. How to perform, I mean, so far his exhibition programs have left me cold. Unfortunately you can't "learn" charisma.

Before I saw Plushenko skate live at the 2001 worlds in Vancouver, I did not think much of him except as a kid who jumped very well. After I saw him skate in the arena, I became a fan. You are absolutely right about his charisma.

misskarne
06-16-2011, 06:33 AM

That pretty much sums up how I got into this :)

Not adding a quad axel?

:lol: I seem to remember him saying in an interview once that he didn't think he would ever try a quad axel and wasn't sure if it would be done in his lifetime, although I think that question was about quintuple jumps as well.

Yes - it was a Cup of Russia competition many years ago, I believe.