PDA

View Full Version : Russia urges ISU to lift ban on figure-skater Plushchenko

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21

Nomad
06-14-2011, 04:14 AM
I don't know. Maybe it was an animal skull covered in glitter.

Black glitter, no doubt.

Japanfan
06-14-2011, 05:34 AM
He couldn't have *not* been aware of COP before he competed in Vancouver, but he still went ahead with the program as it was. Yes, he paid the price for it, but I still have my doubts as to whether he "learned the COP lesson". I hope he has had something of an attitude change in the time since.....

Aside from that, it is questionable whether he can regain the level of form he had in the past - I expect he is quite past his prime.

The quad is no longer a particular advantage. He will be competing against a world champion with two quads and a host of others with quads. All younger than him and more familiar with CoP.

caseyedwards
06-14-2011, 07:28 AM
He could more fully maximze COP jump opportunities by doing a three jump combo again. If a 4/3/2 is out of the question what is so bad about 3/2/2 or 3/half/3. He wont be the only one with a consistent 4/3 so 3 jump combo would have to return - no doubt about it. Then you have getting better GOE and PCS related issue and of course he can't have judges giving him fives in transitions and saying he was inferior to people placing in the teens in the SP in Vancouver! And moving from 3 to at least 4 jumps after the halfway point.

Aussie Willy
06-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Black glitter, no doubt.
Yeah but with a duelling snake combination in rhinestones embedded in it.

senorita
06-14-2011, 01:06 PM
How small is your perspective!

Plushy pulled out from skating in competition with prize money at stake to skate in an exhibition, a competing product, with guaranteed money.

Somebody else pulled out of skating competition with prize money at stake to dance on television, not a competing product, with guaranteed money.

One threatens the commercial viability of the sport while the other does not.

Thats right. And one did it with the blessing of his federation and I$U, the other not.
And please dont start ..but Lysacek wouldnt compete at Worlds in first place, the other withdrew, cause this doesnt give much perspective also. Bottom line, they both had permission to do it, Plushy got his permission back in short notice while the investigation of his medical papers, which btw they never published the conclusion of it, if they ever read the papers first place.

He couldn't have *not* been aware of COP before he competed in Vancouver, but he still went ahead with the program as it was. Yes, he paid the price for it, but I still have my doubts as to whether he "learned the COP lesson". I hope he has had something of an attitude change in the time since.....
Athletes have teams behind them you know, they dont skate what they want because of attitude. 1.31 different result and you would have commented how CoP has not changed at all and gives the gold medal to frontloaded programs.

Why is everybody so upset that Plush would be beaten by Chan, Kozu, Dai etc. So what? If he skates like vancouver he should and will be beaten.

kwanatic
06-14-2011, 01:45 PM
If anything, that 1.31 difference is what is pushing Plushy to go ahead for another Olympics. Missing that top spot by a small margin is a good motivation to keep going. Again, I say let him go for it. It won't hurt anyone. The level of men's skating has reached new levels in the past few years and I think it will be good to see how Plushy matches up against the newer guys...who have quads. So there will be no more complaining about no quads b/c he'll see at least 5 skaters who have them. That's when competitions are good: when it comes down to all of the other elements--spins, transitions, choreography, performance, etc.

I'm glad he's coming back! He irks me, but he makes stuff very interesting and entertaining...

rfisher
06-14-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't know. Maybe it was an animal skull covered in glitter.

Black glitter, no doubt.

Nope. Plain unadorned skull. It was on HGTV.

marbri
06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
If anything, that 1.31 difference is what is pushing Plushy to go ahead for another Olympics. Missing that top spot by a small margin is a good motivation to keep going. Again, I say let him go for it. It won't hurt anyone. The level of men's skating has reached new levels in the past few years and I think it will be good to see how Plushy matches up against the newer guys...who have quads. So there will be no more complaining about no quads b/c he'll see at least 5 skaters who have them. That's when competitions are good: when it comes down to all of the other elements--spins, transitions, choreography, performance, etc.

I'm glad he's coming back! He irks me, but he makes stuff very interesting and entertaining...

Don't really agree with that. He was 1.31 away from a gold medal in Vancouver. We all saw how he stacked up against the new level of men's skating that season and still he was 1.31 away from a gold medal.

I predict theyŽll just keep pumping his knees with injections, limit his competitions leading into 2013 and then roll him out on the ice in Sochi where he will quad his way to a gold. I don't expect to see a respectable CoP program with quads from him, I think he is past his prime physically and won't have the stamina to do both. But heŽll do what he needs to do and win and it will be the most boring mens competition ever :lol: ;) But dance and pairs will make up for it :D

Ozzisk8tr
06-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Nope. Plain unadorned skull. It was on HGTV.

A skull? I thought it was Vera's wang.

ciocio
06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
But heŽll do what he needs to do and win and it will be the most boring mens competition ever :lol: ;) But dance and pairs will make up for it :D

Dance and pairs must have audience too, so, enjoy!!!!:watch:

kwanatic
06-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Don't really agree with that. He was 1.31 away from a gold medal in Vancouver. We all saw how he stacked up against the new level of men's skating that season and still he was 1.31 away from a gold medal.

I predict theyŽll just keep pumping his knees with injections, limit his competitions leading into 2013 and then roll him out on the ice in Sochi where he will quad his way to a gold. I don't expect to see a respectable CoP program with quads from him, I think he is past his prime physically and won't have the stamina to do both. But heŽll do what he needs to do and win and it will be the most boring mens competition ever :lol: ;) But dance and pairs will make up for it :D

I just don't see Plushy's hip rolling and kiss blowing to the judges beating something like what Chan did this season. There's no comparison...whatsoever. The argument last time was all about the quad...quad, quad, quad, quad. Well, Chan has not one but two quads, in addition to some of the most wonderful flow and edge control I've seen since the Kween. There's substance there...Chan has more than just a bag of tricks; he's got the between elements too.

Unless Plushy makes some major improvements, he might be able to get close, but he won't beat Chan...or Kozuka for that matter.

All of this is speculation of course. Soichi is still a long way away. Who knows what will happen to these skaters by then. But still, I say if you compare Chan's worlds performances to what Plushy did in Vancouver...no comparison. Chan wins by a landslide...

Iceman
06-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Although I would like to see Plush compete, with all the surgery he has already had on his legs, I doubt seriously that he will survive until 2014.

rfisher
06-14-2011, 05:47 PM
All of this is speculation of course. Soichi is still a long way away. Who knows what will happen to these skaters by then. ..

Ice is slippery and favorites have failed to skate away with gold. In fact, it happens more often than not. Who knows where Chan or even Kozuka will be at that point. I wouldn't predict anybody to win or even medal this far from the event.

BittyBug
06-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Exactly. Favorites don't always win at the Olympics. (See Browning, Kurt and Kwan, Michelle).

Vash01
06-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Plushy has a lot of mileage on his legs/knees. He has been competing since age 15. It's unlikely that any surgery would make him completely fit, but I hope it will make him good enough to be able to compete at a high level. If he enjoys competing, I don't see why he should not. All these predictions at this point don't mean much. The Olympics are so far away that an unknown man may suddenly emerge and win the gold in Sochi.