PDA

View Full Version : Russia urges ISU to lift ban on figure-skater Plushchenko

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Jaana
06-04-2011, 10:51 AM
younger skater can get confidence and achieve their greatness by defeating grandpa plushy;)

Yes, but will the younger skaters be allowed to beat him? In a perfect world that would be possible, but this sport is figure skating with reputation judging.

Holley Calmes
06-04-2011, 01:20 PM
yes but I really just wrote what plusenko said, not if it is right or wrong, that doesnt mean as an fs fan I follow the same idea as he does. ;) Btw Yagudin in post Oly comments marked the absence of quad and he was not even competin, these boys were developed in the do the quad(s) or die era.

And look what it did to my favorite of all skaters-Yagudin. A career cut short. I am happy for Plushy that he is still able to skate at all, much less do what he does so well. I'm not at all saying that quads and the training for quads is the only thing that is hard on a skater's body, nor do I for a minute think they should be banned. But there is a physical price to pay.

At my age, I have many friends who were dancers, and my husband and I have friends who were elite runners. If I had a dime for every hip and knee replacement we know about among our friends, I'd be rich. In 10-15 years, poor Plush is going to have a lot of expensive surgery. I hope the Russian Skating Federation pays for it. (I'm sure one of you guys can let me know what kind of coverage they offer their retired skaters, if any. Does coverage depend on medals won? Just curious and not being snarky.)

senorita
06-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Yes, but will the younger skaters be allowed to beat him? In a perfect world that would be possible, but this sport is figure skating with reputation judging.
You dont say...Flash news. Can someone from US -that hasnt competed internationally even- beat Lysacek at Nationals if he comes back? Will you have the same worries for the youngsters if Evan contunues to Sochi>?Just saying...

From what it is in Russia, without Plush competing, only two skaters have gone to euros or worlds this season and only one delivered..it is not like in Plu absence we saw such explosion of skaters and it is only 3 seasons till Sochi.
It is Russia, not Japan, leave Arthur and Dimitriev Junior aside, there are is not such a deep field, Bush or Menshov have not been so consistent, by Sochi time I dont see many, maybe the little juniors will grow up after Sochi, but the next 3 seasons I dont see much competition in men.

Civic
06-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I am not in favor of reinstating Plushenko.They need to let some of the younger guys have a chance.Put more focus in helping them achieve greatness.

Competitive figure skating isn't kindergarten; it's a sport. This notion that 'older' champions should 'step aside' to let the young ones have a chance is ludicrous, imo. If Gatchinski et al. want Plushenko's spot on the Russian team then they should be prepared to outskate him for it.

professordeb
06-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I have no problem with Plushy winning his nationals if he indeed actually earns it. I think we saw some reputation judging pre-Vancouver and it appeared as though Plushy thought he had what was needed. Well over the next couple of years, we'll see if he still has it or if the judges will insist on giving him scores based upon WHO he is and not necessarily on WHAT he does on the ice - and then score everyone else in just the opposite manner. What kind of message does that send to the other skaters? That if Plushy shows up, he wins automatically because who he is? What kind of incentive is that to others? Give Evgeni the scores that anyone else would have been given had they had the same skate and I will be satisfied that he won fair and square and should represent Russia. However, if he gets held up again based upon reputation, I think there will be a number of disappointed people.
I wish him well and hope his body can hold up for three more years. That's a long time and a lot of pounding on his body. The mind may be willing, the body may have trouble following suit.

reflect
06-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Maybe the judgement can be made after plushy winning by his reputation:shuffle:. Or, just for curiosity, if he has ever won national or other competition by reputation? (Usually i saw comments like "he deserve the winning but not the score")

rfisher
06-04-2011, 05:31 PM
That if Plushy shows up, he wins automatically because who he is? What kind of incentive is that to others? Give Evgeni the scores that anyone else would have been given had they had the same skate and I will be satisfied that he won fair and square and should represent Russia. However, if he gets held up again based upon reputation, I think there will be a number of disappointed people.

Plushenko skated 3 times. COR: he won handily, nobody was cheated out of the win, Russian Nationals: he won, nobody was cheated, Olympics: he did not win but placed 2nd, nobody was cheated. I really don't see which event he was *held up* based on reputation. If you are referring to the inflated scores at the nationals event, every nationals has inflated scores. Ryan Bradly anyone.

There was much wailing about Takahashi at Vancouver, but he did not skate well. Chan imploded and so did Weir. I think the medal order was indeed based on the two skates scored for the event and not on any skaters reputation. JMHO.

Sparks
06-04-2011, 05:33 PM
If the younger guys want to be on Worlds teams etc, let them earn it. Let them go head to head against the best man their country has. And if they're good enough, they'll beat him. If not, they've no-one to blame but themselves.

It's not like in F1, where an older driver like Barrichello clinging to his seat forces a young driver like Hulkenberg out. Here, the young skaters have the opportunity to beat out Plushenko for a spot on the Worlds/Euros team. If they beat him, so be it. If they don't, too bad.

You mean like how Evan won the Olympic Gold and Plusheko won Silver in 2010?

pinky166
06-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Plushenko skated 3 times. COR: he won handily, nobody was cheated out of the win, Russian Nationals: he won, nobody was cheated, Olympics: he did not win but placed 2nd, nobody was cheated. I really don't see which event he was *held up* based on reputation. If you are referring to the inflated scores at the nationals event, every nationals has inflated scores. Ryan Bradly anyone.

There was much wailing about Takahashi at Vancouver, but he did not skate well. Chan imploded and so did Weir. I think the medal order was indeed based on the two skates scored for the event and not on any skaters reputation. JMHO.

Weir imploded in Vancouver? Pretty sure that didn't happen. Chan yes, and Lambiel was as tentative as hell, but Johnny skated really, really well and still finished 6th. I wouldn't have had him over Plushenko but he deserved to be 3rd or 4th there, considering the error-ridden programs skated by Takahashi, Lambiel, and Chan.

professordeb
06-04-2011, 08:42 PM

And there were many here who thought that Plushenko got inflated scores at COR because of who he is and not what he did on the ice. I watched his skating in Vancouver and thought his marks were too generous considering what he did and felt he was once again marked based on his reputation and not what he produced on the ice. Yeah, it's my opinion but there were many here who felt the same way. What I did say was that I would hope that when Plushy does compete, that he gets marked on his skating and not his reputation. Although I'm not a Plushy hater or uber, I think it will be interesting to see him compete.

ItalianFan
06-04-2011, 10:13 PM
And there were many here who thought that Plushenko got inflated scores at COR because of who he is and not what he did on the ice. I watched his skating in Vancouver and thought his marks were too generous considering what he did and felt he was once again marked based on his reputation and not what he produced on the ice. Yeah, it's my opinion but there were many here who felt the same way. What I did say was that I would hope that when Plushy does compete, that he gets marked on his skating and not his reputation. Although I'm not a Plushy hater or uber, I think it will be interesting to see him compete.

Plushenko competing can only make the competion more interesting. I will be very interested in seeing next season and can't wait to see the showdown, Plushenko---Chan

margiemo
06-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Plushenko if he is reinstated needs better programs. His transitions and spins are weak.Whoever does his programs needs to follow the COP. It is no longer about jumps only but a well rounded program

MacMadame
06-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Perhaps Plushenko could have chosen his words better. But he is a human being and he has a right to an opinion.
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.

I prefer athletes who show some maturity in the face of adversity. Many of them manage it so it really shouldn't be beyond Plushenko's capabilities.

And there were many here who thought that Plushenko got inflated scores at COR because of who he is and not what he did on the ice.
See above about opinions... ;)

AndyWarhol
06-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I dont think is that bad an idea. It will probably boost ratings.

millipied
06-12-2011, 06:09 PM
And he is back.
http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/103474663.html