PDA

View Full Version : Russia urges ISU to lift ban on figure-skater Plushchenko

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Andrushka
06-03-2011, 05:32 PM
I am not in favor of reinstating Plushenko.They need to let some of the younger guys have a chance.Put more focus in helping them achieve greatness.

reflect
06-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I am not in favor of reinstating Plushenko.They need to let some of the younger guys have a chance.Put more focus in helping them achieve greatness.

younger skater can get confidence and achieve their greatness by defeating grandpa plushy;)

julieann
06-03-2011, 05:41 PM

I'm not understanding your reasoning for not allowing his reinstatement. Is it because you feel it's not just or you feel his time has past?

If the "younger" skaters want to beat him they can do so on the ice, no one is stopping them or preventing them from doing so. If you are going to say Plushenko should be prevented from skating because he is old then so should P/T and S/S.

overedge
06-03-2011, 06:45 PM
younger skater can get confidence and achieve their greatness by defeating grandpa plushy;)

:rofl:

Vash01
06-03-2011, 08:21 PM
They are athletes, not spokesmodels. I'm sorry you feel some athletes haven't been properly trained to keep their feeling in check after they have trained their whole lives for one monent that may have not worked out the way they have pictured it. He did act like a kind of a baby when Evan won, he didn't accept his medal, he thew it down on the ground, he cried during the national anthem and left before it was over....very disrepectful!

Are you being sarcastic? If you are not-

I did not see where he did not accept his medal, or when he threw it down on the ground. I did not see him cry during the national anthem either, and he definitely did not leave before the national anthem was over. If sighing is called 'crying', what would you call Jamie Sale's crying during the 2002 OGM ceremony and more recently Yu na Kim's crying on the podium when she won only a silver? or may be different criteria of correct behavior are being applied just because he is Plushenko?

rfisher
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM

Exactly. If Plushy 2.0 can beat him at Russian Nationals, he deserves to go to the games. If not, there you have it. Old, young means nothing. Russia has insane depth in pairs, dance and potentially in ladies. Not so much in men. They would love nothing more than to sweep at Sochi. I don't blame them. I'd do whatever I could to try to achieve that. If Plushenko can and wants to skate, more power to him and let the medals fall where they might. Besides, there's 3 years for him to test the waters against Chan and Kozuka to see who will be the best at the next Olympic games.

julieann
06-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Are you being sarcastic? If you are not-

I did not see where he did not accept his medal, or when he threw it down on the ground. I did not see him cry during the national anthem either, and he definitely did not leave before the national anthem was over

Of course I was not being serious :lol: but it doesn't matter anyway, people who are not Plushenko fans will see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

I'm not sure why some folks are so quick to hear what some skaters says in the mixed zone or in on their personal facebook/twitter accounts if they only use it against them anyway.

As one poster said - they should just keep their mouth shut then haters won't use their words against them. :eek:

OR - Maybe after they skate they should post in the K&C :lol:

Ozzisk8tr
06-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Of course I was not being serious :lol: but it doesn't matter anyway, people who are not Plushenko fans will see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

I'm not sure why some folks are so quick to hear what some skaters says in the mixed zone or in on their personal facebook/twitter accounts if they only use it against them anyway.

As one poster said - they should just keep their mouth shut then haters won't use their words against them. :eek:

OR - Maybe after they skate they should post in the K&C :lol:

Maybe you need to do this. You are sounding more and more stupid as each comment you post makes your light of awareness shine dimmer and dimmer.

Japanfan
06-04-2011, 06:25 AM
They are athletes, not spokesmodels. I'm sorry you feel some athletes haven't been properly trained to keep their feeling in check after they have trained their whole lives for one monent that may have not worked out the way they have pictured it. He did act like a kind of a baby when Evan won, he didn't accept his medal, he thew it down on the ground, he cried during the national anthem and left before it was over....very disrepectful!

At Plushenko's level they are both athletes and spokesmodels. And, being trained to keep your feelings in check to a certain extent is part of being a competitive athlete. You wouldn't last long as a competitive figure skater if you through a hissy fit every time you disagreed with the judges. Athletes learn to deal with both disappointment and triumph.

However, being disappointed would have been understandable. What was so unbecoming about Plushenko was that he felt entitled to act rudely because the judges had deliberately denied him the medal that was rightly his, just because he had the quad.

Japanfan
06-04-2011, 06:35 AM
It was very important to point out the regression of mens skating. No triple axel triple toes because they were replaced by quads and then no quads or triple axel triple toes? Triple Lutz/triple toes and triple axel double toes? That was the new standard for jumps in mens in 2010? It will always have been right for him to speak out. And really brave to.

It was not a regression in men's skating, just a low point. It was a sub-par men's Olympic event in which the only top man with the quad didn't skate his best or earn enough points to merit the win. CoP is about more than the quad, and that is what is important to point out.

If it truly were a regression, we wouldn't have quads back in force this year.

And so what if there is a regression? Sports go through cycles. During the Kwan era 3-3s pretty much disappeared from the ladies and it was a regression, but no one even bothered to mention it. But sure enough, the 3-3s came back into fashion.

senorita
06-04-2011, 08:13 AM
At Plushenko's level they are both athletes and spokesmodels. And, being trained to keep your feelings in check to a certain extent is part of being a competitive athlete. You wouldn't last long as a competitive figure skater if you through a hissy fit every time you disagreed with the judges. Athletes learn to deal with both disappointment and triumph.

However, being disappointed would have been understandable. What was so unbecoming about Plushenko was that he felt entitled to act rudely because the judges had deliberately denied him the medal that was rightly his, just because he had the quad.
He has lasted as a competitive skater quite long, dont you think?:)
Plushenko said without quad it is not men skating, and said I thought i did enough to win. As far as I remember he congratulated Evan. It has been like 16 months and we are still talking about it.. I m sure they have both moved on from all the bad memories.

Japanfan
06-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Plushenko said without quad it is not men skating.

Wrong. Plenty of male figure skaters don't have a quad.

misskarne
06-04-2011, 08:52 AM

If the younger guys want to be on Worlds teams etc, let them earn it. Let them go head to head against the best man their country has. And if they're good enough, they'll beat him. If not, they've no-one to blame but themselves.

It's not like in F1, where an older driver like Barrichello clinging to his seat forces a young driver like Hulkenberg out. Here, the young skaters have the opportunity to beat out Plushenko for a spot on the Worlds/Euros team. If they beat him, so be it. If they don't, too bad.

But in the highly emotional pressure-cooker of the Olympics, are you telling me the first thought crossing a skater's mind is, "Oh, now how will this look on TV? How will this come across to the press?" No, you can bet that a skater's mind will be focused firmly on his result.

You can't expect them to be PR puppets. Personally I think a skater who's a PR sock puppet is pathetic and bland and only shows that he doesn't have enough balls to be himself. I like athletes who aren't afraid to talk about their own opinions. They're human beings too.

Perhaps Plushenko could have chosen his words better. But he is a human being and he has a right to an opinion. And what would you have said about him had he not said anything? At least he congratulated Lysacek on his win. He did show sportsmanship - he made it perfectly clear that he thought Lysacek skated very well, and he congratulated Lysacek, and made it clear that his problem was with the ISU.

misskarne
06-04-2011, 09:18 AM

That does not neccessarily follow that they are Olympic champion level.

Ilia Kulik had a quad when he won in 1998. By 2002 you needed 2 quads in your long just to be top-five. Even in 2006 quads were still the key. I can understand that the fact that so many of these current men didn't have quads might have confused him.

senorita
06-04-2011, 10:07 AM
yes but I really just wrote what plusenko said, not if it is right or wrong, that doesnt mean as an fs fan I follow the same idea as he does. ;) Btw Yagudin in post Oly comments marked the absence of quad and he was not even competin, these boys were developed in the do the quad(s) or die era.