PDA

View Full Version : "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" on TLC

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

victoriajh
05-30-2011, 09:42 PM
some of those trailers are smaller than their dresses. do they set fire to them after their communions and weddings?

yeah i wanna know that too! not like you could keep them all!!!!

millyskate
05-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Is this show about Travellers - Irish; or Romani/gypsies? Or does it go back and forth?

Irish travellers. It's a shame the commentary has been modified... I hope it hasn't been sensationalized.
There will be an episode focusing on the men and their activities.

skatesindreams
05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Is this show about Travellers - Irish; or Romani/gypsies? Or does it go back and forth?

Thus far, the Irish group.
I think that the commentary was modified because TLC believed the audience wouldn't understand the accents!

millyskate
05-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Thus far, the Irish group.
I think that the commentary was modified because TLC believed the audience wouldn't understand the accents!

The British woman commentating the original documentary would have been very understandable... although maybe a few of the travellers might have needed subtitles.

Matryeshka
05-31-2011, 02:04 AM
They subtitle all the travellers for American TV. I would also guess the commentary was modified simply to fit into a 43 minute time slot--stuff had to be cut. There's still a British female commentator, and she is understandable.

In the US version, they're using "travellers" and "gypsy" interchangably, which is both confusing and wrong. I don't know if it's how it's edited, it was seen as a harmless omission so as not to confuse viewers, or if it was done in the original broadcast as well.

milanessa
05-31-2011, 02:32 AM
Isn't gypsy a rather derogatory term?

heckles
05-31-2011, 03:30 AM
Isn't gypsy a rather derogatory term?

I suppose that "feces-dropping child-abusing pickpocketing scammers" wouldn't be appreciated by them either, and calling them "Roma" is not popular with Romanians, who don't want to be associated with Roma gypsies, just as most Irish aren't fond of Irish Travelers.

Marge_Simpson
05-31-2011, 04:00 AM
I read this book several years ago and found it quite interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Bury-Me-Standing-Gypsies-Journey/dp/067973743X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306810566&sr=8-1

my little pony
05-31-2011, 04:06 AM
since they wont pee in the trailer, not even in the chrome ones, where do they pee?

BigB08822
05-31-2011, 05:33 AM
I set this to record on my DVR but nothing popped up until Friday. Off to hunt this down online.

millyskate
05-31-2011, 12:41 PM
They subtitle all the travellers for American TV. I would also guess the commentary was modified simply to fit into a 43 minute time slot--stuff had to be cut. There's still a British female commentator, and she is understandable.

In the US version, they're using "travellers" and "gypsy" interchangably, which is both confusing and wrong. I don't know if it's how it's edited, it was seen as a harmless omission so as not to confuse viewers, or if it was done in the original broadcast as well.

There's a bit (don't know if it was cut in the US version) at the beginning, where Paddy says he doesn't mind being called a gypsy, but don't call him xyz.... it was used a lot in trailers in the UK, and I guess that's what they based the name of the series on.

heckles
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
since they wont pee in the trailer, not even in the chrome ones, where do they pee?

They piss and crap on the street and on the grass in fields and public parks.

my little pony
05-31-2011, 04:18 PM
They piss and crap on the street and on the grass in fields and public parks.

that is one way to wear out your welcome

floskate
05-31-2011, 06:56 PM
They're showing this in the States??? :eek:

It's an interesting series but I'm sorry to hear Barbara Flynn's very natural, beautifully pronounced and understated narration has been 'swapped' for an american voice. no need at all. Regarding subtitles well, in some cases, especially the older travellers, we got those also.

It's an easy series to sneer at and ridicule - let's face it, there's a lot of ammunition proved in the dresses alone - however as the series progressed, I found myself questioning my own attitudes to the traveller community. While the ridiculous dresses initially pull you in, there's a lot to be gleaned as it progresses.

skatesindreams
05-31-2011, 07:37 PM
floskate, I agree.

Similar groups - of various ethnic backgrounds - have been ridiculed. treated as "outcasts" ;and regarded as part of the "criminal element" by many, for hundreds of years.
How would we feel, if we were in their position?