PDA

View Full Version : Pj Kwong’s Blog: 2011 – 2012 Season

Pages : 1 [2]

marbri
07-14-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't think the repetition is that hard to understand. He has an obvious pattern by this point, he keeps a program for 2 years, alternating them so he never spends a summer choreographing more than one new program. So unless his new free really sucks prepare yourself for a new short and the same free for 2012/13 :P

Single skaters repeat programs all the time. It doesn't bother me unless they keep going back to an old program multiple times because to me that doesn't show growth. Use a program for two seasons and show us growth and I can suck it up.

I'm less forgiving when it comes to ice dance.

nlyoung
07-14-2011, 11:10 PM
I'd give the guy a break given he is upping the technical content once again. It's difficult enough to get comfortable with a new program, let alone trying to do it with new difficult elements. Remember that this is a sport, not an entertainment spectacle. ;)

Skate Talker
07-15-2011, 02:41 AM
So in actuality, Chan kept the music and some program elements but changed other program elements due to the rule changes and others due to up-ing the technical content. The Olympic year did not show us what Chan is really capable of and with the big increase in technical content I really can't complain about hearing the same music again.

I admit that I have been annoyed before with skaters who keep their long programs for more than one year, especially when they had no big injury issues, which is always a mitigating circumstance. Although I had nothing against Victor Petrenko he just didn't show enough variety of program during his competitive years. I think there was no excuse for using the same program 3 years. In some cases I may not have been as conscious of all the changes and felt they were just repeating because they are either too slow to learn or not confident enough to try something new. Also when the top skaters were allowed to compete in 3 Grand Prix events, made it to the finals and the Worlds I would get pretty tired of seeing the same thing over and over after even just the one year. As much as I loved Yagudin, I got bored watching him by the end of the season. This could very well happen again now with the skaters that choose to take the 3 GP opportunity.

venja
07-16-2011, 04:47 AM
Just as long as Patrick stops with the story that lots of people don't really get (e.g. putting arms around two ladies and then getting punched), I'll be okay with keeping the program. However, I will be less forgiving if he keeps a program heading into the Olympic year.

I just saw Cynthia's SP video. Glad she upped the technical content with the loop, however I'm still a bit upset that she's not consistent with the lutz. It seems that she has improved on her flexibility with the layback spin, and what pushes it into the awesome category is that she changes her edge at the end (it was done in the past, but she perfected it now).

Pratfall
07-18-2011, 03:44 AM
I heartily agree that Patrick should lose the cheesy story from his Take 5 program. It's not clear without an explanation , and goes the worst way for 'story' programs for me ..that is ,heavy mime,imaginary people on the ice,etc.
I wish he'd just interpret the music...this wouldn't require a lot of change.

Ziggy
07-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Yulia Vorobieva's "Alladin" SP... :D

She kept it for what like 5 seasons?