PDA

View Full Version : National Spelling Bee - May 31st - June 2nd

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Yazmeen
06-03-2011, 02:45 AM
OMG, Victoria looked like she was going to throw up or faint!!! DH and I were in a favorite restaurant and they had the bee on. That poor child looks miserable!

Spareoom
06-03-2011, 02:58 AM
Tell me about it. I heard that her family moved recently so she could be in a region that has qualifying comps to Scripps because her previous region stopped participating. I smell a bit of a stage parent. No wonder the poor kid is so serious.

ETA: Oh my goodness. She just misspelled and her mom looked daggers. Didn't hug or congrat her daughter at all; Victoria had to console HER. Poor thing looked almost relieved. Poor kid!

tlk
06-03-2011, 03:32 AM
This is so impressive! These kids are great.

Spareoom
06-03-2011, 03:34 AM
Tell me about it. :D All the kids are amazing, but I'm rooting for the girls...Laura because she's funny, Joanna because she seems like such a gracious and mature young lady, and Sukanya because she reminds me of a friend of mine. :p :)

Go kids!

manleywoman
06-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Tell me about it. I heard that her family moved recently so she could be in a region that has qualifying comps to Scripps because her previous region stopped participating. I smell a bit of a stage parent. No wonder the poor kid is so serious.

ETA: Oh my goodness. She just misspelled and her mom looked daggers. Didn't hug or congrat her daughter at all; Victoria had to console HER. Poor thing looked almost relieved. Poor kid!

I know. That was hideous. Mommy is a stage parent for sure.

A.H.Black
06-03-2011, 03:35 AM

Quite honestly, she really has been that way for the last two days. This is just her manner. Every time they show her mother, she is stone faced and non-reactive. I think this is just the way they are. She does have one more year.

I've been thinking that this may be Canada's year. Now I've probably jinxed her.

There goes Dakota. Great job. He's one of those that doesn't look like he's 14.

tlk
06-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Oh no, Armind is out!

tlk
06-03-2011, 04:02 AM
Two in a row! I thought she would ace that one.

A.H.Black
06-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Yep. Jinxed her.

Congratulations to Sakanyah!

manleywoman
06-03-2011, 04:51 AM
Wahhh. I was rooting for Laura. So close, two years in a row.

The Village Idiot
06-03-2011, 03:36 PM
What was the word that was like "you can steal"?

Nevermind - ran across it:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_spelling_bee

Sedge
06-04-2011, 12:32 PM

The Toronto Star had this elaboration on the Veronica Perry family 'move'.

To commentators, they were two “spellers to watch.” In Canada, they are masters of etymology and longtime rivals on the bee circuit.

“There’s no real secret,” Newcombe said before a pre-championship round nap. “I work a lot, I try to work hard, and I do my best.”

During past meetings, Newcombe has prevailed over Penny. In March, she won Canada’s national bee; Penny was No. 2. Last year, the girls went head to head in a tense showdown in Toronto. When Newcombe won, Penny’s mother filed an appeal based on the judge’s pronunciation of “qigong.” The judges dismissed the appeal, and for the first time, Penny was knocked out at the regional level. Penny’s family has since moved to the Ottawa area, where she took the regional championships this year with “hubristic.”

Hubristic...rich in irony.

The story may explain why Veronica looked so unhappy seated next to Laura in the final.

overedge
06-04-2011, 07:27 PM
The story may explain why Veronica looked so unhappy seated next to Laura in the final.

Wow. I had not read about any of this, but I am not surprised. This story appeared in the Toronto Star, and Canwest (owner of most of the major daily papers in Canada but not the Star) is a sponsor of the Canadian national bee. So most of the print coverage we get is all positive, all the time.

Tinami Amori
06-05-2011, 12:10 AM
When I saw the heading for this topic, and not being a follower of this event at all, i automatically thought "some Indian or Chinese kid will win it".... :D.

gingercrush
06-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Why did some of the female spellers list Twilight as their favour books. You'd think being such good spellers they'd be more attuned not to read crappy writing.