PDA

View Full Version : Adele Rants About Tax

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

allezfred
05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/may/25/adele-tax-grievances)

Speaking to Q magazine, the Rolling in the Deep singer said, "I'm mortified to have to pay 50%! [While] I use the NHS, I can't use public transport any more. Trains are always late, most state schools are shit, and I've gotta give you, like, four million quid are you having a laugh? When I got my tax bill in from [the album] 19, I was ready to go and buy a gun and randomly open fire."

Awww, the poor dear. I guess four million pounds just isn't enough to keep her in the style she's grown accustomed to. :drama:

vesperholly
05-27-2011, 11:14 AM
:lol: :rolleyes:

If 50% is 4 million pounds, then after taxes she's left with ... FOUR MILLION POUNDS. Cry me a river.

Norlite
05-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Buy a gun and open fire???

What a charmer. :rolleyes:

Aceon6
05-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Hmmm. Adele's tax accountants never heard of Monaco?

Satellitegirl
05-27-2011, 02:34 PM
I think it's more the fact that she's paying all those taxes and not seeing enough from it, although duh, it's not as if just because she pays taxes there is somehow going to be services that suit her wants/needs. Money has to come from plenty of places...not just her pocket. Maybe it isn't coming in right now thanks to the economy. But buhu for her.

Veronika
05-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Sounds like she needs to do some research! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_exile#Famous_tax_exiles

Hedwig
05-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Sounds like she needs to do some research! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_exile#Famous_tax_exiles

Sounds like she needs to get some perspective, IMO.

Jot the Dot Dot
05-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Sorry, but I side with Adele. Where is the justice in taxing anyone to that extent? Do we really want to base government policy on pandering to envy? Do we really want another wave of tax-exiles , the 'Brain-Drain' as it was known? Adele has the right to complain because she earned her money.

Wyliefan
05-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Sorry, but I side with Adele. Where is the justice in taxing anyone to that extent? Do we really want to base government policy on pandering to envy? Do we really want another wave of tax-exiles , the 'Brain-Drain' as it was known? Adele has the right to complain because she earned her money.

Agreed. Those who advocate high taxes tend to say that we need them so that we have the best services that government can provide. Her argument appears to be that she, and (I presume) others, are paying a lot of money and yet those services are substandard. Seems a valid complaint.

genevieve
05-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Hmmm. Adele's tax accountants never heard of Monaco?

yeah really - seems like in the '80s every British pop star with sudden fame went on tax exile

Garden Kitty
05-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Agreed. Those who advocate high taxes tend to say that we need them so that we have the best services that government can provide. Her argument appears to be that she, and (I presume) others, are paying a lot of money and yet those services are substandard. Seems a valid complaint.

There are certainly reasonable arguments to be made regarding tax rates and tax structures, but unfortunately these days, with mass shootings too frequent, even jokes aobut randomly shooting into a crowd are in poor taste.

Wyliefan
05-27-2011, 04:32 PM
There are certainly reasonable arguments to be made regarding tax rates and tax structures, but unfortunately these days, with mass shootings too frequent, even jokes aobut randomly shooting into a crowd are in poor taste.

Granted. But since the majority of the posters here were discussing her comments about taxes, that's the part that I addressed as well.

manhn
05-27-2011, 04:50 PM
I love it when people think they don't use their share of government services. It's always the "other people." And ugh at the "I don't use public transit" argument--what, roads were created by Jesus?

taf2002
05-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Re the taxes then (although I think her comment was in poor taste), is 50% normal? I think we (US) max out at 35%, not really sure. But if that is normal for her tax bracket, then surely she saw it coming. Use some of your wealth to get changes made in parliment, don't rub it in the faces of your much poorer fans. They see her ride up in a limo, then get on stage & boohoo about paying her taxes. It's hard to sympathize.

millipied
05-27-2011, 05:15 PM
With never-ending benefits abuse scandals these days, I have to also side with her. Just last week my neighbor, who never worked in her life claiming disability, got under investigation for cheating on benefit claims as it turned out she was healthy enough for annual ski jumping in Alps. And don't let me start on some thousands of Romanians and Bulgarians who come to UK just to claim benefits and do not work.