PDA

View Full Version : Adele Rants About Tax

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

BigB08822
05-29-2011, 07:20 AM
If you pay any amount in taxes, you shoud be able to complain about how those taxes are being used. The problem is that Adele was speaking about much more than that and it came across as being a bit self-interested and insensitive. There's a recession going on. A lot of people are not going to be very sympathetic about someone who "only" made four million pounds from their album. And I don't have a lot of patience for people who only want taxes going to things that they personally benefit from.

A) How much more was Adele talking about? The quote in post #1 is all there is to go on unless another more in depth article surfaced that I missed. I read about her complaining about the amount of taxes and how she didn't think they were being well spent.

B) She never said she made 4 million anything. She said that is how much her tax was. Not that it is any better but I am wondering if we read the same thing.

C) Where did she say taxes should only to go things she wants? She pointed out a few issues she has, where are you reading that she thinks ONLY her taxes should go to what she wants? That is quite a stretch.

MacMadame
05-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I've certainly said things like "I wanted to kill so and so" when I'm explaining how mad I was at someone, but it doesn't mean I literally wanted to commit homicide

It's more of an off-hand phrase that is just a euphemism for being angry.
But she didn't say "I want to kill them" with them being someone specific she was angry at. She said she wanted to go out mow down random people with a machine gun. I don't see that as equivalent at all.

And speaking of things that aren't equivalent.... paying taxes is pretty much nothing like buying a product.

allezfred
05-29-2011, 12:04 PM
B) She never said she made 4 million anything. She said that is how much her tax was. Not that it is any better but I am wondering if we read the same thing.

"I'm mortified to have to pay 50%! [While] I use the NHS, I can't use public transport any more. Trains are always late, most state schools are shit, and I've gotta give you, like, four million quid

If she's paying 50% and that's four million pounds, then it stands to reason (and basic arithmetic) that she gets to keep......

C) Where did she say taxes should only to go things she wants? She pointed out a few issues she has, where are you reading that she thinks ONLY her taxes should go to what she wants? That is quite a stretch.

See above. She can't/doesn't use the school system or public transport any more so she doesn't want to pay for them, aka she's a stupid bint. :P

BigB08822
05-29-2011, 05:18 PM
LOL

Ok, let me try this again.

I was just pointing out that she never said she made 4 million quid because I was questioning how well Allskate even read the quote.

I still don't see how she says her money should ONLY (key word) go to the things she wants it to go to. I felt her point was more of a complaint about those (schools and transport) and how her taxes have done no good so she can no longer use them. I guess I am taking it differently than others.

Allskate
05-30-2011, 03:45 AM
I was just pointing out that she never said she made 4 million quid because I was questioning how well Allskate even read the quote.

I did the math myself based on her assertion that she paid 50% in taxes. I can read and do math. ;) Yay for public schools. ;)

I still don't see how she says her money should ONLY (key word) go to the things she wants it to go to. I felt her point was more of a complaint about those (schools and transport) and how her taxes have done no good so she can no longer use them. I guess I am taking it differently than others.

When she was complaining, she said that she uses public health, but doesn't use public transport. That's how I interpreted her comment as in why should she pay so much in taxes if she doesn't use the trains. At least, that's how it came across not only to me, but to others.

Really, a lot of people these days aren't going to have a lot of sympathy for someone who is making as much money as she is, so it's just not a smart PR move.

But, as I said, I think she's young and doesn't stop to think before she speaks. I'm a fan. I just didn't care for this particular statement.

marbri
05-30-2011, 04:33 AM
I was just out with a group tonight and the conversation turned to Adele briefly as one of her songs came on. I was reminded of this thread/topic and brought it up. Also that she's from London and in her early 20's. It was interesting to see the reactions of people who had a hard time putting together the woman they hear when she sings, the feelings they get when they hear her voice and lyrics with that of a 20something girl from London who giggles like a teen in interviews and whines about taxes :lol: I also understood them. I expected a deeper, more aware person with a better understanding of the world. What I see is she's just a young woman with a dose of immaturity waxing on about things she doesn't really understand.

PeterG
05-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Adele Rants About Tax

It's a good thing that no member of FSU has ever ranted about anything. Ever...

:slinkaway

IceAlisa
05-30-2011, 10:39 PM
It's a good thing that no member of FSU has ever ranted about anything. Ever...

:slinkaway
:lol:

TygerLily
05-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Really, a lot of people these days aren't going to have a lot of sympathy for someone who is making as much money as she is, so it's just not a smart PR move.Agreed, so thank you for the warning not to read her interviews. :)

As long as she doesn't start spouting something worse like racist crap (coughamywinehousecough), I'll stay a fan of her music.